Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: WANTED WAV to ILDA CONVERTER.

I went with usbstreamer and called it a day. Converting to frames I do not need. I just need smooth playback. I’m using pro tools for playback. I tried Vegas and could not figure the way to assign the outputs to the streamer. I tried audacity and again can’t figure how to assign the outputs.
    I wish there was a purpose made app to load the waves and playback and then store it as a single file. Lcadat result is less than stellar but again I do not know how to optimize the conversion. It’s very choppy and flickers badly like the cpu isn’t fast enough to drive the dac right.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I went with usbstreamer and called it a day. Converting to frames I do not need. I just need smooth playback. I’m using pro tools for playback. I tried Vegas and could not figure the way to assign the outputs to the streamer. I tried audacity and again can’t figure how to assign the outputs.
    I wish there was a purpose made app to load the waves and playback and then store it as a single file. Lcadat result is less than stellar but again I do not know how to optimize the conversion. It’s very choppy and flickers badly like the cpu isn’t fast enough to drive the dac right.
    I use the usbstreamer as well great device and price.

DZ has a great tutorial for foobar2000 using the streamer. http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/showplay.htm
    leading in trailing technology

If you go into the settings of Audacity, you can set it to be able to save multichannel waves. So you can open as many waves as you need and export the whole thing as one wave. There is no way to play the wave to anything more than a stereo device though.

I used Spider Player for years. I don't know if you can still get it or not, but I have an install for the last version. It works great and there is a switch to make it play in a loop.

Also, LaserBoy has wave splitting and splicing tools. So you can put individual waves together into one multichannel wave with that.

James.
    Last edited by james; 09-23-2019 at 06:22.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I've played around with lcadat quite a bit, it does what it was designed to do, take an analog stream and chop it all to hell to make arbitrary frames out of them.

I use N-Track quite a bit for recording stuff but I do enjoy using Audacity for modifying shows. In the past, Audacity did support multichannel but it seems that this was dropped due to some issues with including ASIO without a license. You can certainly still manipulate multichannel waves in Audacity. There are a number of great plugins that help, one is an offset that you can apply to a channel.

One issue with Audacity, by default when you save a multichannel wave file it will convert anything from 24-bit to 16-bit. There is an easy way around it though, instead of saving as a wave file, save it as "other uncompressed file". You can then set the Header to "WAV (Microsoft)" and Encoding to "Signed 24 bit PCM".

And yes, Foobar is fantastic for playing wave files! If not on a PC, then the iPhone does a great job at playing AND recording laser shows!

Why, on Earth, would you want to save laser signals to a 24-bit wave?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Why, on Earth, would you want to save laser signals to a 24-bit wave?
    Why, on Earth, not? Why sacrifice resolution? It's not like storage is expensive these days.

I understand why you might want to record analog signals in 24 bit. That way you have lots of headroom. But please don't tell me you can see a difference between 16 and 24 bit wave playback. That's ridiculous.

Storage might be cheap, but file systems like FAT32 and NTFS have a maximum single file size.

Also, signed 16 bit integers are one of the atomic data types. CPUs and data streaming and storage hardware are designed to handle them naively. That is not true for 24 bit integers.
    Last edited by james; 09-23-2019 at 19:23.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I understand why you might want to record analog signals in 24 bit. That way you have lots of headroom. But please don't tell me you can see a difference between 16 and 24 bit wave playback. That's ridiculous.

Storage might be cheap, but file systems like FAT32 and NTFS have a maximum single file size.

Also, signed 16 bit integers are one of the atomic data types. CPUs and data streaming and storage hardware are designed to handle them naively. That is not true for 24 bit integers.
    So far I've not run into a file size issue. Typically, a 50 minute laser show is just over 2GB and I always carve up the show by song so that I can drag and drop my own playlist on the fly.

I can chain 2 Wave-USB's together for up to 20 channels of 24-bit 48KHz audio and my very old laptop doesn't have an issue with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foobar4.jpg  

Ok. But what do you gain by saving laser show waves as 24 bit instead of 16?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Ok. But what do you gain by saving laser show waves as 24 bit instead of 16?
    Resolution. .