Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Scanner endurance.

I think you misunderstood me, a lot. I described a performance that shows I understand very well what you suggest I do not. The only reason I don't do it more is that I have a diagnosed medical condition serious enough to prevent me from doing it.

As to toil, the less of it the better. Work smart, not hard. I looked at that Laser Images thing on a page Google found for me. 4 sets of GS124 scanners, etc, in a large heavy box very much constrained by its fixed nature. Not my idea of fun. But I guess that faster expressions like those that Doepfer's electronics can allow weren't possible then. At least, not as small, cheap, fast, repeatable, etc.

And that guy I mentioned, it worked on him because I PLAYED it. It was a short but fiercely expressive bit of music. I'm sure that if I had pushed one note, or a button, it wouldn't have done a lot.

About discipline, I have that, likely more than enough. I don't think anyone can get as far as I have coding a phase modulation synthesiser without it. The MiniMoog was the result of such discipline. This isn't limiting. It's what gives the scope for the realtime negotiation that makes music possible. It's why most bands would rather have one than a Roland A100 wall-to-wall modular.

I'm not sure what 'right' have to do with anything here. I think it's a matter of fluent negotiation. When a band plays on stage they're not thinking in terms of 'rights'.

I give you the grand piano "…a large heavy box constrained by its fixed nature." of which your MiniMoog is a very obvious descendent. In my opinion the genius of Robert Moog wasn't that he made sounds with electronics. It was that he hooked the electronics up to a keyboard so musicians who had honed their craft could play with those sounds. And I have to admit the people in my experience who say things like "work smart, not hard" have in every single case been unlikely to do either one...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I give you the grand piano "…a large heavy box constrained by its fixed nature." of which your MiniMoog is a very obvious descendent. In my opinion the genius of Robert Moog wasn't that he made sounds with electronics. It was that he hooked the electronics up to a keyboard so musicians who had honed their craft could play with those sounds. And I have to admit the people in my experience who say things like "work smart, not hard" have in every single case been unlikely to do either one...
    Bite me. I complimented you on that avatar, you said nothing,. I put something up, you tear it down. That's typical of a lot of people here. If that's your idea of 'workign hard', you can keep it. One specific aspect of my diagnosed condition, which I have no intention of revealing to you in detail as I have no intention of giving you more ammunition with which to discriminate in your petty favour, is that I have a capability to withstand lengthy tasks of detail and repetition that can drive most people crazy, so don't talk to me about not working hard just because you don't like a certain clichéd phrase.

You keep picking little holes in everything I say if you must, I have better ways to spend my time. I could have argued an opposing case, you'd still have used it as a way to belittle me in ever diminshing circles. I usually stay out of interactive internet these days. Do you really think I haven't seen enough of that behaviour to recognise it for what it is? What beats me is WHY so many persist in it, but that's a riddle I don't want to solve.

I believe that it's through live performance that this art form should be expressed.
    Agreed. Think about the near hysterical adulation some DJ's receive for merely shaking their fists in the air to someone else's music. But, simple beams of monochromatic light even if scanned and dimmed according to the laserest's control are a pretty limiting medium. We need more tools.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Agreed. Think about the near hysterical adulation some DJ's receive for merely shaking their fists in the air to someone else's music. But, simple beams of monochromatic light even if scanned and dimmed according to the laserest's control are a pretty limiting medium. We need more tools.
    If your tools don’t include a joystick for motion and another for rotation – why not? If your tools don’t include an image generator that you can jump to when your computer crashes – wouldn’t one be handy? If your tools don’t include color mod and chopper – wow you’re missing out. If your tools don’t include a spiral generator, dynamic offsets, and scan glasses – that just sucks. If your tools don’t include a variety of lumia options you’re missing out on something huge... There are tools that have existed for decades that most of you don’t have. You have to want them – they are out there – and others are waiting for you to invent or rediscover.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso