Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooked a motorcyle battery to a car headlamp and...

Default Hooked a motorcyle battery to a car headlamp and...

Got a motorcycle battery and a high-beam (and a switch and a handle) and viola(sp) --a BRIGHT flashlite. It's fun- looks like a car coming thru the window..

You really have toooooo much time on your hands :lol:

Jim

It's really a must where I live waaaay out in the country. I can light up the side of a mountain. We have black bears in them thar woods! Gotta see where you're goin'-)

lol that`s just a regular halogen flash lamp but sounds cool..

Try a 12volt mini battery from my childs 12volt car, and a spare HID-trafo + a xenon bulb into a small projector !
    .. and voila.. a superduper bright XENON flashlamp

Sounds cool--
    I use 12V gell-cells 9-12AH batts now, I would really like to go to HID but expeeen$$ive.. all my bucks are tied up in lasers at the present..

You know, there's a video on YouTube (I think Break.com has it as well) of some guy lighting a crumpled newspaper on fire with a super-bright flashlight.

I often wondered if the guy was faking it somehow, but I suppose if you cranked the voltage way up - or used really good optics on something like an aircraft landing light - you could set paper on fire...

Anyone else see this clip I'm talking about? (Don't have a link to it anymore...)

Adam

There was a guy who mounted a 48 volt landing light off of a Lancaster bomber on to the front of his car. (He had 4 12v batteries) . Needless to say the sports in their offroaders with their light-bars dimmed instantly as his lamp was "warming up from red to orange to white." I think he said it was about 700 watts..

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    You know, there's a video on YouTube (I think Break.com has it as well) of some guy lighting a crumpled newspaper on fire with a super-bright flashlight.

I often wondered if the guy was faking it somehow, but I suppose if you cranked the voltage way up - or used really good optics on something like an aircraft landing light - you could set paper on fire...

Anyone else see this clip I'm talking about?
    That would be Chris, the proprietor of Mac's Customs. He's a regular CPF'er, and is known for packing huge amounts of power into relatively small form factors, like 2D Mag's and whatnot. Also does a lot of his own machining.

That flashlight's for real. IIRC, that particular model is called "The Torch", which he aptly demonstrates. I forget what's in it though.

CPF'ers are a bunch of maniacs. You should see what these guys are doing, especially some of the high power stuff. Lighting newspaper, cooking eggs, causing the cops to show up, etc... lol.

Think Steve-o's got too much time on his hands? Let me show you definitive proof of my single-ness. Incoherent photons coming up (although my little laser project is in there too).
    Alas, poor diode. I fried him well.

Thanks for the confirmation, PN!

I thought it looked pretty convincing. Glad to learn it wasn't a faked video.

Wonder how long the batteries last in that thing? (My guess is, not very long at all!) Still, pretty cool - even if it's not a laser.

Adam