Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IPG YLP 0.5mJ 10 watt fiber laser test results

Quote Originally Posted by Skyko View Post
    I have tried up to 80psi of the argon/co2 mix...
    Totally wrong gas. You need to use nitrogen (stainless) oxygen (stainless or steel) or air. Pure argon is used for laser welding, though.

Quote Originally Posted by macona View Post
    turned! Turned! TURNED! Lathed is not a work. A lathe is a machine, turning is what you do on a lathe.

But otherwise, pretty cool!

-Jerry
    Yeah yeah...I am not a machinist although I play one on TV. I should use the correct terms though.

Is the argon/co2 mix doing anything bad? It did seem to make the cut a little cleaner and definately protects the lens. I don't have a cylinder of oxygen yet.

I hooked up a gas solenoid and a laser on/off line from my cnc controller so I could run some standard g-code programs for testing. I created a 16 tooth spur gear and generated the g-code for it. At first I made the gear less than 0.03" in diameter but that was too small for this lens and also I forgot my cnc has 0.0015" backlash in the x-axis ballscrew (not worth replacing for most of my work). When trying to cut teeth in a 0.03" diameter gear, 0.0015" of backlash just kills you.

In the larger gears (about 0.07" in diameter) you can see the effects of the backlash in some of the poorly formed teeth. There are a few good teeth and all of the gears of a size have the same defects in the same area which confirms that the culprit is backlash and not the laser or lens. It will be nice to get the achromat doublet for a signicantly tighter beam but I need to switch from my cnc metal bedmill to the Adept ballscrew linear robot modules I happen to have. These have zero backlash and 1um position. The cnc mill was just faster to do a proof of concept of the fiber laser being able to cut thin, small stuff.

So, I need to work on 1) better motion device, 2) correct gas, 3) better lens system probably in that order.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinygear1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	674.5 KB 
ID:	39288

The argon will act as a shield but the co2 will react with the metal in some way. Not sure how but nothing beneficial. Use air, it is cheaper and will cut better.

On my machine I just use M7 for gas and M3 for the laser so I can just use a normal post processor. I set for a cut at Z0 and feed height of .1". I then go into the g-code file, delete the first M3 a do a Find/Replace for Z0 as M3 and Z.1 as M5. Quick code, though for your machine you would have to do something different.

Dont you have backlash comp set in your machine? Do you have the original control?

Hello.
    I have also an ipg pyl-50m without power supply.
    Does anyone have pinout how to power up this thing?
    Thanks.