Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
These are actually terrible amps! They force the position sensor to work single-ended (something it's not intended to do) and so these amps will eventually blow the position sensor diodes inside the scanner (diodes which are sealed with epoxy, thus, rendering the scanner useless). And yes, these amps to 12K, nothing more... 12K was the standard scanner speed for G-120s. Only Turbo Track and a few others got G-120 to go faster...

Bill
When all we had were G100PD/G120PD scanners, the LM amps were faster and more reliable than the General Scanning amps - in my experience. I blew up more galvos and broke more torsion springs with the old General Scanning 600 series amps than with the LaserMedia amps. I have used the LM amps many thousands of hours - easy to tune and easy to repair (except the high voltage op amps are out of production and hard to find now). The fastest amps I ever saw with G120PD's were designed by Fred Fenning of Image Engineering. They used +/- 48VDC supply rails as I recall. Scanner technology has really come a long way (finally). Bill's new scanners will raise the bar - I can't imagine mechanical vector scanning will get much faster.