Thread: Please help

Default Please help

Hi
    A few days ago the button on my green laser pen started not working properly so I took my laser pen apart. I removed all the lenses and the IR filter. The button start working again as soon as I took the laser pen apart.However now it seems to only half work, all I can see is a red light, even if I put all the lenses and filter back on. I'm very new to all this so could someone please tell me what may have gone wrong. I have attached some pictures of the inside of the laser pen.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by riekmaharg2 View Post
    Hi
    A few days ago the button on my green laser pen started not working properly so I took my laser pen apart. I removed all the lenses and the IR filter. The button start working again as soon as I took the laser pen apart.However now it seems to only half work, all I can see is a red light, even if I put all the lenses and filter back on. I'm very new to all this so could someone please tell me what may have gone wrong. I have attached some pictures of the inside of the laser pen.

You may want to ask on this forum http://www.greenlasers.co.uk/3.html

You may not get a response here.
    Last edited by Astroguy; 03-26-2007 at 07:48.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Thanks for reply.

Be careful that red light is very dangerous to the eye, don't look at it !!!!!

Really, don't !

I havent looked into it, however I dont think that red light is the laser. Becuase it doesnt change colour when I put the lenses and filters back on. I think the laser is the square part that doesnt light up, it must just be broken.

The red light is the 808nm pump diode laser which in a working pointer will put out a few 100 mWs. It looks relatively dim because it is at the edge of human perception but there is a lot of power there. Even more dangerous is the 1046 nm laser which is completely invisible, lower power but better collimated. Best not to look anywhere near those components when the thing is on.

I never had a pointer so I can't help you, just posting this because laser safety is a major concern.
    There are lots and loads and piles of info on the web about pointers, with a little search you can solve your problem.

cheers.

Z

Check out Sam's FAQ.
    Especially the safety part!

Quote Originally Posted by riekmaharg2 View Post
    I haven't looked into it, however I dont think that red light is the laser. Becuase it doesnt change colour when I put the lenses and filters back on. I think the laser is the square part that doesnt light up, it must just be broken.
    If you so little about lasers you should not be taking one apart. You could blind yourself permanently by looking at the red light. I am not trying to be mean but you need to do your research before taking apart a DPSS laser it can be dangerous. I hope you can still see to read this.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Lightbulb

I second that. I just got a 10mW greeny from china off eBay. When I got it I rigged it up to a power supply and nothing happened. Knowing better than to look "down the barrel", I snuck a peek at a 45 degree angle and could see a hint o red... I then took out my video camera and used "night shot +" and could see a nice... big "white" dot where I was pointing the "laser". Mmmmm IR...

The motto is, even if you are not getting green light out of your laser, it may still be working and only emitting infrared light. Youe eyes will not blink to protect you from this...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin