Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WANTED - DAC for 15k scanner

Before you buy another DAC, or more software, you need to find out *why* the Alphalite doesn't work.

As I said before, the Alphalite is not a perfect solution, but it *does* work. I've been using it for just over a year now. (Have a look at these pictures of my Aphalite projector in the gallery and see for yourself!)

So if you're not getting any images, then something else is wrong. Either you have it connected incorrectly, or you have a problem with your galvos, or the software isn't talking to the DAC. (I suppose it's also possible that your Alphalite is broken, but let's start with the things that are easy to fix first, before you spend more money.)

What, exactly is it doing? Are the galvos moving at all? Can you take pictures of your projector and post them for us to look at? How about explaining exactly how you connected the amps to the DAC?

Finally, is there anyone local to you that you might be able to meet with? Having another pair of eyes looking at your setup might be all that is needed to find a small mistake that is preventing you from displaying an image.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Before you buy another DAC, or more software, you need to find out *why* the Alphalite doesn't work.

As I said before, the Alphalite is not a perfect solution, but it *does* work. I've been using it for just over a year now. (Have a look at these pictures of my Aphalite projector in the gallery and see for yourself!)

So if you're not getting any images, then something else is wrong. Either you have it connected incorrectly, or you have a problem with your galvos, or the software isn't talking to the DAC. (I suppose it's also possible that your Alphalite is broken, but let's start with the things that are easy to fix first, before you spend more money.)

What, exactly is it doing? Are the galvos moving at all? Can you take pictures of your projector and post them for us to look at? How about explaining exactly how you connected the amps to the DAC?

Finally, is there anyone local to you that you might be able to meet with? Having another pair of eyes looking at your setup might be all that is needed to find a small mistake that is preventing you from displaying an image.

Adam
    ok well heres what im doing?
    one laptop,

software installed

its a kind of docking station parallel port, which is connected the the DAC, via a male to female converter (the white thing)

hooked up to a volt meter and when i play something the volt meter does nto move. There is no power being outputted at all.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Ah Ha... Ok. My guess is that the Alphalite software doesn't work with your laptop's docking station.

Try this:

Start the Alphalite software on your laptop and click on the Options Menu. You should see an options window pop up. Look just above the system check button and see what it says. (My guess is that it will say "system not detected") Click the system check button and see if it changes. (My guess is that it won't; it will still come back "system not detected".)

Here's why: The Alphalite software assumes that your parallel port is assigned to the virtual device LPT1: at hex addres 0378. I don't think there is any way to change this in the Alphalite software.

The way to find out for sure is to install the Alphalite software on a desktop PC and connect the DAC to the PC's parallel port. Then run the software on the PC and see what happens. My guess is that it will work just fine.

It looks like the port replicator that you're using on your laptop is plugged into a PCMCIA slot on the side of your laptop. The address range for that slot is going to be different, and unless you can re-map it to the correct range, the Alphalite software will *not* be able to see the DAC, because it can't communicate with the parallel port on the docking station. (This is the same reason why you can't use a USB-to-parallel adapter with the Alphalite.)

If you get it working on a PC with a parallel port, then you can either use that computer for your laser show projector, or else you'll need to find a laptop that has a parallel port on the back. (Not a parallel port adapter that plugs into the PCMCIA slot though.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Ah Ha... Ok. My guess is that the Alphalite software doesn't work with your laptop's docking station.

Try this:

Start the Alphalite software on your laptop and click on the Options Menu. You should see an options window pop up. Look just above the system check button and see what it says. (My guess is that it will say "system not detected") Click the system check button and see if it changes. (My guess is that it won't; it will still come back "system not detected".)

Here's why: The Alphalite software assumes that your parallel port is assigned to the virtual device LPT1: at hex addres 0378. I don't think there is any way to change this in the Alphalite software.

The way to find out for sure is to install the Alphalite software on a desktop PC and connect the DAC to the PC's parallel port. Then run the software on the PC and see what happens. My guess is that it will work just fine.

It looks like the port replicator that you're using on your laptop is plugged into a PCMCIA slot on the side of your laptop. The address range for that slot is going to be different, and unless you can re-map it to the correct range, the Alphalite software will *not* be able to see the DAC, because it can't communicate with the parallel port on the docking station. (This is the same reason why you can't use a USB-to-parallel adapter with the Alphalite.)

If you get it working on a PC with a parallel port, then you can either use that computer for your laser show projector, or else you'll need to find a laptop that has a parallel port on the back. (Not a parallel port adapter that plugs into the PCMCIA slot though.)

Adam
    yeah system not detacted.
    its not a pcmcia slot, its a different plug never seen one before.

the software does not install on xp, ive tried to install it on two different xp machines and it just comes up with lots of errors. I need a usb DAC!!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Have a look on the Tosh website to see if there is any tech docs on the docking port, see if it has all the pins connected for the parallel port.
    Also check in your bios to see if you can set the address there and make sure it is set up as the right type of port (ecp, epp etc).

Jim

Oh, as far as the software on XP is concerned, have you tried to run it in 98 compatable mode?

Jim

no and no.

i get the feeling it gona be easier to buy the easylase usb. that means it would work on this laptop im on now, a much better faster laptop. but it is gona cost me alot more
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Andy / Buffo

ANDY
    you can run the software under XP but you must go into the program folder and click on the Alpha.bat icon
    to run the program rather than the standard Alpha icon

I suspect that Buffo is 100% correct though .... these docking stations tend to use virtual ports and not hardwired COM and LPT ports

Buffo
    The top rack is a dedicted laser controller .... along the same lines as the mamba avatar desk....
    it is a PM20 desk ideal for live stuff and i use it as a backup in case my PC crashes it has progammable presets and sequencer and has simple animated grafix stored in rom internaly
    It was made in the UK in the late 80s by Chameleon Lasers ( same company that made my geometric converter )
    and was made for various laser rental companies with their name on the front in this case laser grafix
    there is one currently on Ebay here ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PM20-Laser-Con...QQcmdZViewItem

sadly no longer made ..... but a great unit

The geometric converter basicaly does what CRT monitor adjustments do ..... its great if at a venue you can not get the projector central to the screen that you are projecting onto ..... so if you are projecting from a corner you can use the adjustments to get a square and semetrical image....

all the best .... Karl

EDIT its a f***ing small world this laser stuff .... i have just noticed that the guy sellling the PM20 desk on ebay is the same guy that andy got his alphalite kit from seems this thead has gone full circle

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai
    Hi Andy / Buffo

ANDY
    you can run the software under XP but you must go into the program folder and click on the Alpha.bat icon
    to run the program rather than the standard Alpha icon

I suspect that Buffo is 100% correct though .... these docking stations tend to use virtual ports and not hardwired COM and LPT ports

Buffo
    The top rack is a dedicted laser controller .... along the same lines as the mamba avatar desk....
    it is a PM20 desk ideal for live stuff and i use it as a backup in case my PC crashes it has progammable presets and sequencer and has simple animated grafix stored in rom internaly
    It was made in the UK in the late 80s by Chameleon Lasers ( same company that made my geometric converter )
    and was made for various laser rental companies with their name on the front in this case laser grafix
    there is one currently on Ebay here ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PM20-Laser-Con...QQcmdZViewItem

sadly no longer made ..... but a great unit

The geometric converter basicaly does what CRT monitor adjustments do ..... its great if at a venue you can not get the projector central to the screen that you are projecting onto ..... so if you are projecting from a corner you can use the adjustments to get a square and semetrical image....

all the best .... Karl

EDIT its a f***ing small world this laser stuff .... i have just noticed that the guy sellling the PM20 desk on ebay is the same guy that andy got his alphalite kit from seems this thead has gone full circle
    that Alpha.bat does not exist in my computer lol.

easylase here i come im guessing
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy ...

Can you PM me your Email address

and i will send you the Alphalite Test Program that checks the connection to your port

all the best .... Karl