Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: WANTED - DAC for 15k scanner

hooked up to a volt meter and when i play something the volt meter does nto move. There is no power being outputted at all.
    Just refering to this pictue and text..
    No power attached to alphalite...

I noticed that you were using a multimeter to check the output. Multimeters will mesure DC, or AC at 60 hz. The Alphalite output is going to be at least 1Khz (and probably much higher), so your meter probably won't detect anything, even when set to AC. You need to connect the output to your scanner amps and watch the pattern your galvos draw.

If you don't want to connect the output to your scanners, the logical alternative would be to use an oscilloscope, not a multimeter. A 'scope will show you what the waveform looks like coming out of the DAC. A meter won't.

The Alphalite software runs just fine under windows XP. It's the only operating system I've ever run it with. As Karl said, you need to launch it using the Alphalite.bat file rather than clicking on the Alphalite.exe icon. (This is explained in the Alphalite electronic manual, which you should have received with your unit.) If you don't have the full installation, you can always download it from Laserillusions.com. (You can download the electronic manual from there as well.)

If you want to get rid of your Alphalite - that's your privledge of course. But if it were me I'd spend a little more time testing it before I threw it away. The unit WORKS, and the software that comes with it offers a lot more features than any "free" laser show software I've ever played with. You just need to use it on a PC that has a native parallel port, and make sure you launch the software with the .bat file instead of the .exe file.

Trust me, once you get it running you'll be a lot happier. (It took me several months before I even started considering an upgrade... While we might knock the Alphalite software now, the fact is that as beginner systems go, it's pretty cool. I just wouldn't use it professionally.)

Adam

Andy Wrote
    what do you think i am stupid??? LOL
    No mate we are just observing the pictures that you posted ..... and trying to help
    sometimes its the most obvious things that we miss ( myself included )

Now call me Stupid but i noticed that you have the meter connected to the blanking output
    and as the circle you are displaying is continuous ... there will be no variation of the blanking output
    i guess you have tried the other outputs as well .....

the other thing is to do is to reduce the scan rate right down ( as low as it will go so you see the screen going from point to point )
    this will give a step change on the output and will allow the meter to respond to the signal

have you checked the blanking output by switching the play button on and off ..... you should see it go from 0v to 5v .....

Oh and finaly something to check ...... in the options menu there is a tab for x/y output .... you will see sliders for setting the maximum voltage
    of the output .... now on a new install i have found that these default to zero ( no output ) so you need to set the sliders to about 5v

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by cruch
    hooked up to a volt meter and when i play something the volt meter does nto move. There is no power being outputted at all.
    Just refering to this pictue and text..
    No power attached to alphalite...
    LOL yeah i know, that was only set up for the pic. i did have the power in
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    I noticed that you were using a multimeter to check the output. Multimeters will mesure DC, or AC at 60 hz. The Alphalite output is going to be at least 1Khz (and probably much higher), so your meter probably won't detect anything, even when set to AC. You need to connect the output to your scanner amps and watch the pattern your galvos draw.

If you don't want to connect the output to your scanners, the logical alternative would be to use an oscilloscope, not a multimeter. A 'scope will show you what the waveform looks like coming out of the DAC. A meter won't.

The Alphalite software runs just fine under windows XP. It's the only operating system I've ever run it with. As Karl said, you need to launch it using the Alphalite.bat file rather than clicking on the Alphalite.exe icon. (This is explained in the Alphalite electronic manual, which you should have received with your unit.) If you don't have the full installation, you can always download it from Laserillusions.com. (You can download the electronic manual from there as well.)

If you want to get rid of your Alphalite - that's your privledge of course. But if it were me I'd spend a little more time testing it before I threw it away. The unit WORKS, and the software that comes with it offers a lot more features than any "free" laser show software I've ever played with. You just need to use it on a PC that has a native parallel port, and make sure you launch the software with the .bat file instead of the .exe file.

Trust me, once you get it running you'll be a lot happier. (It took me several months before I even started considering an upgrade... While we might knock the Alphalite software now, the fact is that as beginner systems go, it's pretty cool. I just wouldn't use it professionally.)

Adam
    ahhh i see, i may risk connecting my scanners up one night in the week. but its gona be cheaper for me to buy an easylase than a new laptop with a parallel port in it.

i did get a manual but im a man we dont read manuals!! (joking)
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Ohh and another thing ....... you have the Meter ( good ol faithfull AVO 8 ) set to AC

as buffo said ..... the meter will only respond to 50Hz AC

so you need to set it to DC and slow the scan rate right down .....

all the best .... KARL

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai
    Andy Wrote
    what do you think i am stupid??? LOL
    No mate we are just observing the pictures that you posted ..... and trying to help
    sometimes its the most obvious things that we miss ( myself included )

Now call me Stupid but i noticed that you have the meter connected to the blanking output
    and as the circle you are displaying is continuous ... there will be no variation of the blanking output
    i guess you have tried the other outputs as well .....

the other thing is to do is to reduce the scan rate right down ( as low as it will go so you see the screen going from point to point )
    this will give a step change on the output and will allow the meter to respond to the signal

have you checked the blanking output by switching the play button on and off ..... you should see it go from 0v to 5v .....

Oh and finaly something to check ...... in the options menu there is a tab for x/y output .... you will see sliders for setting the maximum voltage
    of the output .... now on a new install i have found that these default to zero ( no output ) so you need to set the sliders to about 5v

Hope this helps
    i was joking, i know your all trying to help, i just get stressed easily when things dont work.

i will do some more test during the week and get back to you all.

thanks
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai
    Ohh and another thing ....... you have the Meter ( good ol faithfull AVO 8 ) set to AC

as buffo said ..... the meter will only respond to 50Hz AC

so you need to set it to DC and slow the scan rate right down .....

all the best .... KARL
    no dont you mean set it to AC, as its already set to DC???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Sorry buddy you do have it set correct .....

i was thinking that the right dial was DC

been a long time since ive used an AVO 8 hehe

anyway check that options sliders and give it a try with the scan rate down and come back to us with the results

all the best .... Karl

ok mate
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat