Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polorising/Combining cube and polorising the beam.

Default Polorising/Combining cube and polorising the beam.

I have 2 blue modules that I want to combine. They are both CNI.
    They are polorised but I dont know in what direction, I guess they will be the same though.
    With that in mind what do I do to go about changing the polorisation of one so that I can put them through a cube?
    Are the cubes wavelength specific? Do I need a 473nm cube?

Jim

hey Jim
    does this mean you got the dead laser working or are you getting the leg work in now for when its running again

Rob

The latter option unfortunately Rob
    I am getting a 4W pump diode so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    I have some new optics too so I have to re-arrange my optic table now, so I am putting the thought in now so I can cover all bases.

Jim

Thought it would be that way round seemed a bit quick to have found, ordered, recieved, fitted and aligned - as well as continuing to earn a crust, eat, sleep etc....

R

I dont earn a crust, I'm retired due to ill health

Jim

Well a little update and more questions.

I got the diode off Junkx, I got the 4W version.
    I've put it in the head and it sort of works (no blue yet), the psu/driver was putting out 1.77A but will do a max of about 2.6A.
    Now this is what confuses me, 808nm is IR so invisable to the naked eye, but, I can see red being emitted from the c-block , If I ramp the current up to 2.6A it does get a little brighter (the red, still no blue).

The light that I can see from the pump is a vertical stripe about 5mm high, this is pretty central on the lense between the pump and the chamber. After the lense it is a spot about 1mm diameter that lines up pretty well with the first lense on the entrance to the chamber, so far so good. Unfortunately that is pretty much where it stops, there is no blue coming out of the other end .

What is wrong?
    I have tried moving the chamber from side to side etc hoping that I would get a flicker of blue if it lines up correct but alas no luck .

Any advice?

Jim

Talking

Dammit... I hate it when you guys start typing in Greek... but good luck with your endevor there. and BE CAREFUL, that seems to be a lil dangerous!
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

#1 I hope you have the protection needed for seeing this diode in a safe manner
    #2 I hope it it not a DLED >Dead
    #3 It sounds like there may be alignment issues....not in the pump chamber, but lense in front of the diode. There should be some sort of focusing optic to pump all that I/R into a somewhat collimated beam. May also need the crystals set for that diode and it's character. They seem to be like the weather on a given day. Some are very different from others........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

It can't be dead because of the visable light that I can see and much brighter IR when looking through a camera.
    I am hoping it is just an alignment issue.
    The lense between the pump and the chamber hasn't been touched at all so I hope it isn't a focusing issue there.
    The 2.6A is at the bottom end of the current required for the 4W diode, looking at the specs for the diode it takes from 4 to 6A.
    One other concern is looking at the specs for the range of diodes they are available in 50, 100, 200 and 500um stripes, so it is possable that the one I have is 500um and I should only be using maybe a 50um stripe. If that is the case it could be a factor of 10 weaker than expected (only 50um of the 500um stripe going through the lense).

Any more advice chaps?

Jim

Do you have a pic of the setup and chamber ? Wondering if it was similar to the unit I had some time ago......
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich