Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD Card - How does this work?

Default SD Card - How does this work?

Hey Guys,

Many inexpensive laser projectors have SD Card capability. Is this standardized to some extent? What type of files go on these cards? Can someone save a cue/show from QS and use it on one of these cards without an ILDA interface?

Thanks

I can't advise on specific use of SD cards, but for general info, this: Get more. Several cheap ones are better than few expensive ones. Back up your data! CF cards are bigger, have parallel data buss like ATA disks, and the onboard controller has 'wear levelling technology' so they try to avoid lots of rewrites to the same spot. SD cards don't have this, not enough space, so they often die early.

Also, while file types might vary according to the host system, the file system is almost always FAT32 on them so you can back up files using any PC-based SD card reader. Do it, expect those cards to die, treat them as disposable, and you'll be ok.

EDIT: Easiest way to prolong the life of an SD card is to fill it up, ignoring unwanted files, and NOT writing to existing files more than first creation, and reformat when it's full, and start over. This is effectively DIY 'wear levelling technology'.

And I'll suggest that any small device like Pangolin's FB3 or other scan controller likely has an SD card slot specifically to allow standalone playback with no attached computer. And likely support software to get the files prepared properly.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-18-2013 at 10:58.

I have a couple cheap projectors with SD Card slots. Both of them only support .ild files. The ILDA file format is a standard, where QS files are in a proprietary format - I have never heard of an SD Card capable projector that supports QS files.

One of my projectors only supports ILDA format 0, but the other one supports other ILDA formats. However, the colors displayed while projecting the same ILDA files are different between the two projectors. So, I'd say standard implementation across multiple projectors is not something you can count on.

Also, you cannot sync music with ILDA files on an SD Card (at least in my experience).

To me, the SD card feature is more of a gimmick, and pretty useless, though your needs may be different.

There is quite a bit of information on this forum about inexpensive projectors with SD card readers and the fact that some of them only accept ILDA files containing frames that are all in format 0.

Many people have found LaserBoy to be very useful for preparing files for the SD card.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...logo-ild-files
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...from-Spencer-s

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I certainly have - thanks for a great piece of software.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Many people have found LaserBoy to be very useful for preparing files for the SD card.

Thank you bungy!

I really appreciate positive feedback.

I'm glad that you are getting some value out of LaserBoy!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Laser sd card, wheel ild files of type 0.In the folder with the files ild, need a prg file.The prg file that executes the files ild in programmed sequence and speed.The prg file can be created and edited the text editor windows.Without the file prg files ild not play.

Portugues->Ingles

Euler, thanks. That made sense!

Hi ,yes ,it can .Make the files format is ILD.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentgloves View Post
    Hey Guys,

Many inexpensive laser projectors have SD Card capability. Is this standardized to some extent? What type of files go on these cards? Can someone save a cue/show from QS and use it on one of these cards without an ILDA interface?

Thanks

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    So basically, you can store all the frames of your few-minute-long animation as ild files in an SD card and have your projector play your lengthy animation without a computer with your desired fps?
    Usually you can set the course PPS in big steps. The time delays are usually in 10ths of a second, which is rather course, if not difficult, for syncing to music. Good music sync needs 1/30th of a second resolution.

The SD card based units are designed for minimal cost, and are often more suited to point of presence displays, rather then a classic laser show set to music.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...