Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Laserium

As far as Laserium on a flat screen is concerned - It hasn't ever really worked. We've done it, but not for a really long run. Now perhaps it's because we didn't know how to market it on a flat screen for a long run. I'm willing to consider that possibility. But I'm not aware of it ever being done on an IMAX (flat) screen. Laserium has been - since before the beginning - intended as an immersive experience. It looks good on a flat screen, but there's something special about the dome experience. As Dan Neafus at the Gates Planetarium pointed out "the frame" in a dome is the horizon. It's a different experience. My goal is to lift the audience up into the stars. That's why I hate beam work and anything else that pulls the audience back down into their seats.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    That's why I hate beam work and anything else that pulls the audience back down into their seats.
    +1. Beams look good for about 5 minutes. There is no way to get rid of the sameness. Once you have gone through your library of fans, statics and waves, all you have left is fans, statics and waves. Even Machidas get old once the initial "wow" has worn off.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Once you have gone through your library of fans, statics and waves, all you have left is fans, statics and waves...
    Right, exactly what I meant by the 'orchestra full of only-guitars'.. There's just only so much variety you can achieve with essentially the 'same instrument' (XY-boxes) even if ya'v got 100 of 'em in a gig...

Take the 'über-Raves' of Netherlandia, for example.. Sure - we've seen some pretty 'eyegasmic' scenes, from those 'style' of events... Or, even the recent US 'tryin real-hard to be Europe' example of the J-Timberlake tour.. Cool, sure.. But -

...just imagine how much more 'minds would get blown' if they, for example, after a well LD-orchestrated demonstration of 'the power of Black' ...bathed the *entire* arena / audience in, like, 30W's of Blue lumia.. which slowly morphs thru musically-complimenting colors, to 'sculpt the mood'... Then, 'Black again'.. Then, ka-Pow, yer 100W fangasm..

..Point being, 'just add moar XY-boxes' - alone - to me, personally, is a recepe for Sominex. I think one recent example of, at least trying to add more variety, was the 'TSO' tours, there.. Sure, they had plenty of 'XY-rig' firepower, but.. They also (admirably) went thru the extra-effort / trouble to add truss / stage-flat mirror bounce-matrixes, and.. Imho, that set those performances apart from so many others..

..Even Machidas get old once the initial "wow" has worn off..
    ..that's, again, an example of 'the art of the Show'.. Trick is, you never wear them out - ..If you 'highlighter the whole page, you haven't really highlighted anything'. Machitas are a 'Special' - you use them, like *once* - maybe twice - in a performance, oh-so masterfully marbling yer haze-blast thru it, at 'just that right moment'

Anyhoo, I'll shuddup, now..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-29-2014 at 14:50. Reason: sp
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Anyhoo, I'll shuddup, now..
    Negative! How else are us young pups going to learn???

I really need to get up to Chabot. I notice that the calendar only runs to the end of April. Is this coming to an end or is it just "forseen" until April, but is open ended? Only reason is, it is a major scheduling headache to take a break from work and I typically need a 1 month notice.

...just imagine how much more 'minds would get blown' if they, for example, after a well LD-orchestrated demonstration of 'the power of Black' ...bathed the *entire* arena / audience in, like, 30W's of Blue lumia.. which slowly morphs thru musically-complimenting colors, to 'sculpt the mood'... Then, 'Black again'.. Then, ka-Pow, yer 100W fangasm..
    That would be pretty damn awesome. I would love to see that. I mean, I wouldn't mind a few and I mean a limited few beams in a Laserium show, but even then, as Brian says, it pulls you out of space and brings you back. One reason why I also agree that a flat screen in front of you is not the same as gazing upward....

Heh, well.. I, too, am still a 'grasshopper'.. I'm very privledged to be working with True-masters, like Cap'n Brian Danny (up at Chabot) and our Creative Director, Scott.. (catalyst in most of the *43* ILDA-awards Laserium won over the years (and I Love that 'Laser Images' (founding Co behind Laserium) is still in, like, 4th place, last I knew, for the 'most-total number won' ...which, really means nothing.. ..

...Only wish I could have gotten to werk with such Maestros as G. Thomas, Richard G. and others.. It was really great getting to meet some of those legends at the 'commemorative event', last fall at Griff..

Anyhoo, re: Chabo, no, we're contracted (at least) thru end of Oct, but.. Again, we see 'flaccid marketing' reaping the sad fruits of (much of) the Bay Area not really even knowing we got 'extended' (after the severe overuse of the 'Limited Run'-message tactic..) Oh well, I'm werking on it..

Lemme know when u plan to go-up; I'll be up there 4/17-19.. unless I get killed by an earthquake first.
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-29-2014 at 14:53. Reason: fixz

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Lemme know when u plan to go-up; I'll be up there 4/17-19.. unless I get killed by an earthquake.
    I can't make it up there that soon but seeing as that you are working with that project, I am sure you will be out that way again. Let me know the next time you'll be up their and I will make plans. Thanks for the info.

I smell a comercial opporunity....
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

I can't make it up there that soon but...I will make plans.
    ..Well, *sigh*.. I hate to tell ya this, but.. Don't bother.. We've had to 'pull the plug' on that Install.. Can't really 'say much' in public (..although it's not 'Libel' if it's all-true >_< ..but, ya know.. it's always best to 'avoid throwing rocks', as-far-as possible..) other than, it *WASN'T* a 'lack of Fans' / peeps wanting to come see the shows.. Can-discuss in PM, for those interested, but.. Sad / astonishing that we had to do what we had to do, to say the least..

..However.. On a 'happier note'.. the 'other major-market' I was hinting at opening-in?? Well, come one, come all.. http://www.dmns.org/laserium Not so-sure about that 'promo-vid choice' for 2014-peeps, but.. I suppose it's just quintessential that you must-use any plug for your Co. that's been VOd by Spock.

..Anyhoo, it's off to a great-start...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Las@DMNS_AuroraPortal_wm.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	43669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Las@DMNS_BlackHoleSun_wm.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	43670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Las@DMNS_BlakHole3_wm.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	43671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Las@DMNS_Wavechita_wm.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	43672 ..but - at this point - we're only 'committed' to be there, thru Sept. 5th, so.. Catch it while you can.. Still diligently working on re-opening shows at our Studios here in CA, sometime TBA, asaP..

So, any PL-members / family planning to be in Denver, 'tween now / Sept. 5th, lemme know, and I'll hook ya up with a (reasonable amount.. of comps.. Sorry, can't give ya 300 tix.. It's *definitely* worth the stop-in... With the format of this-particular dome (angle / depth) the shows just present *awesome* in there.. very 'immersive', especially with the aerials-system viewing-angle..

..another 'cool tidbit', is that, while DMNS was already using 3Ø for sound / AC / the building, etc, nowhere were they just flat-out 'dumping' 2.5 gpm of water down the drain.. So, they were a bit redicent to bring in an Ion-laser (..which is still our #1 Champion, for reasons like: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...8&d=1403457964 ..at least untill 'Fiber-lasers' are less than $15k a line.. +_+ ..) ..so, they 'challenged us' to find a way to not do-that / make the Install a bit more 'Green' (..and that's nothing to-do with 'mj'.. So, this is what we did: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...en-with-an-Ion ..works pretty doggone-well..

Hope to see some of ya's there..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-27-2014 at 17:39. Reason: link fix

Lightbulb Laserium Open again in Los Angeles!

..Well... Tickets are On Sale, so.. I guess it's 'Officlal'... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX-zF3k5pn0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LasVNYs PC_H_F_FPO_RGB.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	45913 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LasVNYs PC_V_F_FPO_RGB.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	477.1 KB 
ID:	45912

Info, here: http://www.laserium.com/backstage/Backstage.html ..Tickets, here: http://laserium.ticketleap.com/ ..YES, there will be a 'PL-Member Discount' ..BUT, it will not be 'blanket' / something postable / 'abusable' So, Please - Contact me, if/when you're planning to come, and I will 'hook you up', with your unique Code, etc..

..and, Don't forget - the 'Van Nuys Studios' are just-that, so.. Totally-available, mid-week / any-time, via 'buyout', for Private / Small-Corp Events / Rentals / Product / Music/Band Video Shoots (w or w/O lasers.. B-Days / Quinceneras, whatever.. LEMs.. etc, etc.. Please PM / email for details.. (But, email is a MUCH more 'immediate' route of contact, since I'm rarely on here, these days / won't be-much, for awhile Best is jon AT laserium DOT com...

..Hope to see 'ya'll' there..
    ciao
    j

Very cool, will be sure to look you up when I am next down in SoCal!!

Cheers
    Rich