Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Focus mixed RGB beam into fiber...

Nice find on the SMA, but I don't think that will have any optics inside. Looks like a fiber input coupler for a high power laser. But it'd make a nice housing for a fiber output collimator.

Thumbs up

Part of a part huh? A step in the right direction though. As long as no one bids I may have enough sitting in my PP account for it...

Exclamation

Alright I got it... and it's a LOT bigger than I thought it would be. I doubt a mm1 could hold this beast... I'll take a couple of pictures when I get home, then maybe, um, someone can tell me the next part to get.

O it does have a lense in it... That's good correct?

Lightbulb

I got some pictures of it...

Here it is next to a 30mW green.

I got it focused... well, centered I think. I used the green cause it's the weakest. I see it better than the blue with the goggles on too.

Whitey...

It really doesn't look that white to the eye. Here is a close up.

Here's the fiber I have.

I took some poster puddy and an old fiber optic lamphead and made a mpg of it flashing through some colors...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89511712080667

This thing I got is so big I may think about mounting into the wall and have the fiber go from the to a breakout box in the wall and do splitting and stuff there...

yadda, is there a connector to get that fiber onto that adapter? Do I need an adapter to each strand? Actually, is the fiber usable?

edit:
    now that I'm mumbling to myself, the screw holes on the ring there would make it easy to attach on the front of a box...
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 03-06-2007 at 04:00. Reason: inspiration

This is the stuff i always used.. It is about $1200 if i remember correctly. I know that is out of the budget but take a look at what they are using for fiber. It has a beautiful beam output!!! and only looses about 20% or so.

I don't think that stuff you have will work. It is too small and probably single mode, and i would guess step index. It is also optimized for ir not visible. The other thing you will have to do is polish the fiber.

Look under fiber optics.
    http://www.laseranimation.com/products/pr_frame_e.html

for home brew you could probably use a microscope lens for the input coupler and might be able to use a cheap diode collimator for the output coupler.. Going to take lots of experimenting. Try and find gradient index, multimode, 50 micron fiber..

Chad

Talking

The cable I have I think says 62.5/125 micron... It does look pretty thin, and I do not remember if it is single or multimode. That fiber set up on that site looks nice. You say $1200 for that? If I had $1200... Nope I need a better software and DAC set up way more than fiber...

62.5/125 micron is plenty big... Chances are if it's generic network cable then
    it's multi-mode, however the standard frequencies of data fiber is 850nm and
    1300nm, so you'll undoubtedly see losses regardless...

To test it out, a microscope objective isn't a bad idea, use a 40x for
    convenience... However, in terms of output beam quality, the longer your
    focal distance the better the beam profile will be. (Within reason, 1" focal
    is the reasonable optimal)

Also keep in mind that you will have to very carefully cleave the fiber end
    if it hasn't already been cut and polished. If you're insanely lucky you might
    be able to get away without polishing, I've met people who had the knack
    of cleaving fiber perfectly... I also know most major universities has a guy
    whose job it is to run around with a fiber polishing kit, you might want to
    ask some uni IT guy...