Thread: Shipping laser projector to Oz

Default Shipping laser projector to Oz

Just a quickie, I am shipping my 3w rgb laser to Australia and am wondering what to put on the form, do I put stage laser projector or stage lighting projector? I am thinking perhaps putting laser on the form will attract more attention? Does it even matter? I also have read that customs may charge for bringing it in if it's under a year old, is that just rubbish??

Any other tips from laser travellers.....??

Hey Steviobee

I just recently had Aarg ship me that Piko projector he sold recently and all that he had on the forms was theatrical lighting, and nothing really come of it (I did need to send details of the laser to the the customs broker but more for import duty than restriction on laser import)

We do not have any restrictions on importing projectors or laser modules (only laser pointers are restricted) so you should be fine

I'm not sure on on the under year old statement, I'm not sure how this works as you haven't really purchased the laser and importing from a seller. Your really doing an interim visit initially and therefore possibly taking it back out of the country (from recollections)

Probably best bet would be to to have a dig through the Australian customs website

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Hi Steviobee

If you haven't already found this it might help.
    http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...tionalMail.pdf

You will be fine declaring it as a stage laser projector. As Troy said, they won't care about it being a laser. Only if its battery powered will they care as that would be deemed a weapon if above 1mW (look at ebay.com.au listing for laser pointers..... you can only bye 1mw ones) sure mate!!

As shown in the PDF link, I think they will class it as UPE (unaccompanied personal effects). Specifically, plant and machinery which does say you have to have owned it for 12 months.... which you have.

Another thing to consider regarding import duties and GST (our version of VAT) is that import duty if applicable (which often isn't is usually 5%).
    The GST component is 10% but is only charged on items of value over$1000AUD (583GBP)

Absolute worst case scenario would be that they ask for a proof of purchase date which is unlikely. The check list on the above form didn't mention requiring proof. If it shows that you have owned it for less than 12months you would have to pay between 10-15% of its value as GST and import duty. When I imported my laser module from Hungary I got charged GST by customs but not import duty.

I think I remember you saying your projector was about 520GBP so it wont attract GST even If they don't deem it to be classed as UPE (unaccompanied personal effects) which you've owned for more than 12 months.

Good luck and have fun.
    Kit

lighting enquipment is ok .Friend .

I am have similar concerns.

I'm taking a laser to India from the UK and then coming back with it later on.

Has anyone had any experience taking a laser on a plane through customs as baggage (not hand luggage)
    I don't want it as hand luggage as I will have to get it out in Mumbai and they will ask questions.

Graham

Why not hand laser with the plane directly ? It is not heavy ,only with flightcase 18KG .Make the shipping name lighting enquipment is ok .

I've taken my projector as baggage before, however only within Aus and didn't have any issues. Don't underestimate their ability to throw your gear around, too much protection is never enough!

Declaring it as stage lighting or something of that manner is fine, no need to put laser, there are no regulations on them in Aus. However watch out, as if it's valued at over $1000AUD (either on the customs form, or by themselves if they decide to inspect it), you'll get hit with import tax.

Cheers guys but as a first move over here my baggage was pretty weighty anyway, laser is in flightcase, in foam padding and in a shipping cardboard box. Will be coming over real soon and will be celebrating with a large drink when it gets here all safe and sound!!

You could also consider W2C. I've shipped a lot of fragile equipment with them and never had any issues.