Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vrilda - Virtual Reality Laser Show Player

Hi Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Since this is open source, could you give some more details about what your dev environment is and what it offers your app?

In a nutshell, LaserBoy is Generic C++ using libSDL to get keyboard hits and provide a screen of pixels.

James.
    As I mentioned, it's made in Game Maker: Studio which is a proprietary development suite that compiles a program from a mix of scripting and WYSIWYG programming. To be honest, it doesn't really offer much except that it's super fast to develop in, and it's what I have been using for years so I know it much better than regular programming languages. I have run into some problems with it, for example the reason ilda reading is so slow is because GM's file I/O suck. One can however utilize libraries like dll's to enhance it's features.
    This program uses some functions limited to "GM:S Standard version" which costs money, this is of course regrettable from an open source perspective. But I have considered porting the app to a different language one day, and all the scripts that make up the program can be read on the github page if others want to as well. The syntax is C-like, and the GM exclusive functions are quite self explanatory, you can consider it pseudocode of sorts. The most important scripts are scripts/read_ilda.gml and scripts/draw_projection_3d.gml which parses the ilda file into arrays and draws the 3D projection respectively.
    Last edited by Grix; 10-03-2013 at 03:27.

Also a safe way to preview audience scanning shows of unknown origin.

Have you considered the idea of just adding a new rendering function to the LaserBoy source code?

You already know LB can open all forms of ILDA plus some other vector art sources.

One of it's capabilities is to display the frames at a constant rate on the screen.

What you're doing seems to be just that from a different perspective.

I guess it depends on how much of the 3D geometry you are doing in your own code.

Then it could be truly open source and also compile for Linux and derivatives.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Have you considered the idea of just adding a new rendering function to the LaserBoy source code?

You already know LB can open all forms of ILDA plus some other vector art sources.

One of it's capabilities is to display the frames at a constant rate on the screen.

What you're doing seems to be just that from a different perspective.

I guess it depends on how much of the 3D geometry you are doing in your own code.

Then it could be truly open source and also compile for Linux and derivatives.

James.
    I don't think I have the skills for that yet.. I'm not used to from-scratch graphical programming. GM sets up the whole 3D environment for you, all I really had to do was make equations for the projection primitive's x, y and z values and plot them into a few premade functions.

I wrote all of the 2D, 3D geometry and raster graphics stuff for LaserBoy.

All I get from libSDL is a screen of pixels of a specific width and height, bits per pixel and the address of the first pixel.

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to write a function to plot a 3D like ray or fan for a beam appearance.

I wouldn't get much out of the split screen 3D for goggles though.

I'm blind in my right eye!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I'm blind in my right eye!

Laser related injury?

No. I was born that way. My macula and optic nerve just never fully developed.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Can you make it work with non-Oculus displays? a side-by-side, non-distorted display would be excellent, because then I could use it with my Sony VR headset.

I've worked a bit on this in the last few weeks, and released a new version. New features include a much better user interface, a more realistic laser projection with fog simulation, and various optimizations and bug fixes.
    You can download the newest version here: https://github.com/Grix/vrilda/releases

Also, I have ordered an Oculus Rift dev kit 2 which should arrive in August, and I will add support asap. The DK2 should provide a much better experience, not just because of better resolution and tracking, but it uses an OLED screen with much better colors and deeper blacks, which is obviously very good for laser simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Can you make it work with non-Oculus displays? a side-by-side, non-distorted display would be excellent, because then I could use it with my Sony VR headset.
    This is on the to-do list of the http://gmoculus.com/ extension which this program uses. It's been a while since it has been updated, but the development should reignite when DK2 arrives.