Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: confused about software/DAC requirements of laser projectors

I still have an SE.. I don't use the card function but keep it around as my livepro license is tied to it.. Yes must use livequick or manually load the card which is easy. Quickshow doesn't have it built in.

If only intending to use the card reader function, there are cheaper sd card reader / ilda out type cards around, typically designed to be built into lasers..

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    I'm not sure about that man :/
    Features from software/hardware aren't always removed because there isn't a demand for it. I see many people complain that the new smartphones they got don't support Adobe Flash anymore. Maybe the mobile companies want developers and users to switch to HTML5 which supports all that, but the truth is very few websites now offer HTML5 so right now we just have bunch of people complaining that their new smartphones can do less than their old ones.
    But you're probably right that it helped lower cost.
    We can't know for sure. Forgive my frustration, obviously me complaining about it here isn't going to change anything.
    I'm pretty sure I had a conversation not long ago with a large company that said they removed them because of their limitations and the fact that they'd been surpassed by ILDA control. However, I could be misremembering the reason. It's as I said before though, if you have a particular application that can only be satisfied by SD, then go for it. I just think in 99% of all the other situations, there is a better solution by having a connected DAC and PC. It gives you far more control even in automated modes.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    That's why sound to light satisfies most home users on small budgets who don't want or can't afford a connected controller.
    Tell me more...
    Most lower end projectors have some simple patterns or animations built in that change automatically to the beat of any music thats playing when they're set in sound to light mode. The limitation is you have no control over anything here apart from the sensitivity of the microphone so in most cases, you're stuck with the built in animations / patterns. It is however a way of getting some kind of show without the need for any kind of controller albeit a show chosen for you by the manufacturer.

In your case where you want your own logo, this won't help as you can't change the pre-set patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    But, if a card reader system is ideal for your requirements then by all means get one, I'm just trying to offer some explanations in reply to your question as to why they don't seem to be found on many systems these days.
    I can't find any good one, that's the problem. It's only the chinese unreliable ones which have it as far as I've seen.
    Again that's because most of the higher end manufacturers abandoned these when ILDA software / DAC's became more affordable.

Wasn't the RIYA mentioned above has having a slot and some control over the pattern behaviour? If so you could perhaps you could buy a better quality laser with ILDA input but no SD, and buy a SD equipped DAC, connect the DAC but use the SD slot alone fot control. At the end of the day it all comes down to budget, your needs and the logistical issues of a connected laptop.

Norty's suggestion of a FB3 XE is also a good one budget allowing.

Am I correct in thinking that the planned FB4 is going to have an SD slot?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

interesting question. i treat all announcements and rumors as vaporware (no matter who the vendor is) until it's on the shelves and specs are published.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that the planned FB4 is going to have an SD slot?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I forget the specifics, but saw it mentioned in a post that made it sound like it may be closer than we think. It just gave me that feeling, but I could be way off. Though regarding SD card I doubt it will, as the original FB3-se/xe had it and has since been dropped as a feature. Would make it seem that it wasn't a good selling feature at that point anyhow.

I got the impression that FB4 may be available for OEM integrators now/very shortly.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.