Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 134

Thread: MOBO Awards 2013 - Major ***FAIL***

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default Know the facts

    Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Who in their right mind would locate a projector on the front of stage like that in the first place. It provided hardly any effect for TV because most was getting blocked by the crowd's faces.
    Seriously, its not rocket science to keep at least a reasonable distance between source and crowd.
    Maybe the TV director made them realign it down so it didn't fire up and damage the boom mounted cameras... :-/
    I was crewing at this event and I can say that it was not the laser companies fault. During the performance the laser was stepped on by one of the Artists. The unit wasn't outputting hardly any power as the operator took the output right down. Green always looks bright on TV.

    It upsets me that a lot of you guys on here are too quick to judge a company and try to put them down without knowing the facts.

    The unit was put in that position and was pointing up for a camera shot. I know I was there in rehearsals. I like lasers and fascinated by the work people do and I have to say it looked stunning. Its unfortunate that this unit got pushed down.

    The council signed off the whole event and I was on Pyros

    For you to post stuff from facebook what is that meant to achieve?? Daniel Briggs

    The laser I can see at the club, do we know the company did that??? How do we know it wasn't a dry hire?

    Please find out facts before you judge!!! or ask the questions before you try to ruin a companies reputation. I was there you were not and I have to say good on you Laser Company I like the work you do.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    8,615

    Default

    I love the laser hire safety video, he seems to have this about "sauce" and straight lines, he must of got an A* at school for science!

    I was crewing at this event and I can say that it was not the laser companies fault. During the performance the laser was stepped on by one of the Artists. The unit wasn't outputting hardly any power as the operator took the output right down. Green always looks bright on TV.
    if I was doing a show and something went wrong, eg someone moved the laser I would stop the show instantly. safety is far more important than anything else

    I don't think anyone is saying what a wank company they shouldn't be operating, its more that show doesn't look very safe and you have confirmed this by saying the laser was moved.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat


    Aluminium Optic Mounts

    http://www.laser-man.co.uk/opticmounts/

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I love the laser hire safety video, he seems to have this about "sauce" and straight lines, he must of got an A* at school for science!



    if I was doing a show and something went wrong, eg someone moved the laser I would stop the show instantly. safety is far more important than anything else

    I don't think anyone is saying what a wank company they shouldn't be operating, its more that show doesn't look very safe and you have confirmed this by saying the laser was moved.
    Still no need to post lots of stuff from Facebook is there. I hope the company take action against Daniels comments and posts as I know I would. I think the FB should not be posted on here with things like that.
    people are far to quick to jump on the wagon and slate people when things don't go well. But have a look at all the upside of what they do. Why is there a picture of flat beams on here too. Those will be way above the MPE levels. Lets see the work you do Daniel and we can all comment on how great it is cant we !!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post
    Please find out facts before you judge!!! or ask the questions before you try to ruin a companies reputation.
    Ok.

    Why was a laser placed where an artist could tread on it, without testing for the results of impact by a human, or at least a substantial part of a human weight being placed on its mount? This is a basic test for anythign a roadie carries, because if heavy gear is not secured against such actions, roadies get hurt, and they can sue for damages like anyone else. You say you were there at rehearsals, so why was such an unsafe situation so obvious, yet so neglected?

    Why was the laser not switched off entirely the instant it became clear it was beaming straight into people's faces at close range? You say it was running ta reduced power because the 'operator took it down', but why did the operator not turn it off?! This is a public relations nightmare for plenty of people, so why did no common sense prevail? Why did no-one appear to have any grasp of damage limitation? There were many lasers present. What was so important about this one that an operator who could have disabled it failed to do so? I've heard the phrase 'the show must go on', but this takes it to rediculous extremes.

    Why would anyone assume that 'the council signed off the whole event' is any justification or rationalisation? They obviously didn't intend that they'd be held accountable for a laser operator failing to shut down a device that was misdirected into the crowd at ANY observable power at a public event.

    Last question: What is wrong with this picture? Plenty, I just asked the obvious stuff, and it's damning enough already.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I have to disagree with you on this Andy. If someone puts there full weight onto a unit it is going to move. If the operator felt the shows was safe then he continued. If only you knew the amount of testing that they did before show. Remember we cannot control peoples behaviour just limit it.

    The show was safe and it would have been a shame to stop a whole live performance. what comments would you have said then. Either way comment would have been about fails so its a no win situation with a lot of people on here.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post
    I was crewing at this event and I can say that it was not the laser companies fault. During the performance the laser was stepped on by one of the Artists. The unit wasn't outputting hardly any power as the operator took the output right down. Green always looks bright on TV.

    It upsets me that a lot of you guys on here are too quick to judge a company and try to put them down without knowing the facts.

    The unit was put in that position and was pointing up for a camera shot. I know I was there in rehearsals. I like lasers and fascinated by the work people do and I have to say it looked stunning. Its unfortunate that this unit got pushed down.

    The council signed off the whole event and I was on Pyros

    For you to post stuff from facebook what is that meant to achieve?? Daniel Briggs

    The laser I can see at the club, do we know the company did that??? How do we know it wasn't a dry hire?

    Please find out facts before you judge!!! or ask the questions before you try to ruin a companies reputation. I was there you were not and I have to say good on you Laser Company I like the work you do.
    So, hypothetically , if you saw someone kicked over one of your flamejets, you would fire it into the public anyways because someone-else kicked it over ?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default

    So much negativity

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post
    All I can say is GET OUT MORE
    If you pulled a line like that when questioned by a parliamentary committee you'd be whimpering for your mummy. Those bastards have teeth. Don't waste time trying to defend the indefensible. People operating without license when they do at least try hard to be careful, I can understand, even respect for the risks they take, BECAUSE they deliberately aim to prevent others from suffering from those risks. That's bad enough in lasering, but you seem to be saying that it's ok to allow others to take those risks, its always someone else's fault, a hire firm, an artist, a council.... There is a reason why most laserists are more cautious than you think they should be. The buck MUST stop with the person who is in charge of what might easily become a disaster, or even a weapon, if they aren't.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post

    The show was safe and it would have been a shame to stop a whole live performance.
    TBH I actually had some sympathy until I read that comment.

    You can never put a show beyond someone's safety. If something goes wrong and people are put in danger, then you have to shut down immediately be it the single projector or the whole show. You can't just carry on because it would spoil the show to alleviate the potential danger to the people in the front row. You say the show was safe, it was safe until it went wrong. Do you know if the nearest people to the projector were irradiated below MPE - had it been measured at that point prior to the show given that you didn't know the projector would get knocked over? If so all kudos to you and it was right to carry on. If not then there's a potential danger as the front row are exposed to unknown levels and in that case you need to shut down.

    Safety 1st, show 2nd, always.

    Things do go wrong its how you handle them that matters. From what you were saying it sounds as if the wrong choice may have been made here.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I was just there whitelight, I wasn't the op I was crewing for the stage guys and what you see on the video to what happened doesn't show on the video. Its was not unsafe and being blown out of all proportions. I hope the company put a message on here as I feel that they are getting unfairly treated by people who weren't there and yet not even in the country.
    I cant comment on what the op done whether he killed it completely or not. I know the output went down on the one from down stage then no output towards the end.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •