Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MOBO Awards 2013 - Major ***FAIL***

Default MOBO Awards 2013 - Major ***FAIL***

Oh dear... ***FAIL***

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...13_Highlights/

Spin forward to the very last four minutes. Pay particular attention at: 1:24:11 and 1:24:55

You'll have to be quick though as the footage will disappear from BBC iPlayer in a couple of days. Perhaps someone more technical than me can record the last four minutes and upload it somewhere for posterity.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why?

If you are in the UK and see this message please read this advice.

Go to the BBC iPlayer Radio homepage

What we need is for someone here in the UK with the technical ability to record the last four minutes of the Awards Ceremony.

Anyone???
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Shit, are those beams hitting the audience straight in the face - point blank? I'm not surprised there is so much screaming!

I cut the sound on purpose... what an awful "song".
    The framerate came out a bit dodgy.

From the people who brought you:
    "Dodgy Laserscope to the face, up a tower"
    and
    "Static beam to the eye with vengeance"

Last edited by danielbriggs; 10-23-2013 at 06:05.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

For the interesting bits jump straight to 1:25, 1:56 & 2:02 ish (amongst others).

Dan, thanks for doing the copy. I have to say it's a great improvement not having the sound, what an unholy racket. For anyone who thinks they may be missing anything by not having sound... you're not

Can we overdub some nice calm music

The chap on the safety video was on my LVR laser safety course about a month ago.
    Last edited by Galvonaut; 10-23-2013 at 13:47. Reason: Suggested change so as not to imply blame after receiving PM

Hmmm... When I posted the OP I had no idea who the company were that did this show and perhaps in some respects it would have been better to keep it anonymous. However, the cat is now 'out of the bag' so to speak

I know we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the power of beams in videos, but those in the video are virtually hitting the audience at point blank range!

Even in the promotional video there are single beams going straight into the crowd. Take a look at 2:12 ish in Dan's copy . I have to question the wisdom of putting scenes like that in a promo' video...
    Last edited by Jem; 10-23-2013 at 06:43.

Shocking footage. I hope the people in the front of that stage, taking the stationary beams were able to get out of the line of fire.

Jem is right, we do not know the output power used, but at such close distances from the source, 1mW would be the limit before the MPE is exceeded. You can probably come your own conclusions as to if 1mW would be bright enough in an arena environment.

We don’t know for sure who did the show, however if it was someone that recently attended my safety course, that would be doubly disappointing.

One thing we drive home on the course is that the operator must have a clear view of the display area, to avoid situations like this, where the beams look to be hitting the audience at almost point blank range for the duration the of the performance. Of course, we also say about not using lasers in this fashion in the first place!

James

EDIT: Looking at the footage again, those beams look shocking hitting the audience.

No ifs no buts, if something deviates from the planned laser show operation, and people could or are getting exposed, then USE THE EMERGENCY STOP button.

There are NO EXCUSES, whoever the laser provider was, for allowing a laser projector to continue assaulting an audience at almost point-blank range for nearly 4 minutes.

On all the installations we regularly check, it is an absolute requirement that there is an easily accessible emergency stop button, so that in the event of something unplanned taking place, the output can be killed straight away. The emergency stop is not there to look pretty on a sign-off, it is there to be used when there is a risk of people being harmed. END OF

No excuses about widening the beam, or reducing power. Or being worried about the look of the show. The laser goes off.

So in that respect, the title of this thread is very appropriate.
    Last edited by JStewart; 10-25-2013 at 01:56.
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Who in their right mind would locate a projector on the front of stage like that in the first place. It provided hardly any effect for TV because most was getting blocked by the crowd's faces.
    Seriously, its not rocket science to keep at least a reasonable distance between source and crowd.
    Maybe the TV director made them realign it down so it didn't fire up and damage the boom mounted cameras... :-/
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.