Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSX Pro - Laser Show Xpress

Default LSX Pro - Laser Show Xpress

What a bit of software!

I've had LSX Pro for about a week and am extremely happy with the software.

I had read that LSX is quite a learning curve and although this may be the case for the some of the more complex features, I have found it a joy to use.
    Here is my first abstract, created in about 10 minutes (after reading a very short section of the manual). This video created using LSX AVI export feature.

LSX has countless features that are accessible through it's GUI but also has the capability of using expressions (a bit like a cross between algebra and a very simple programming). Just to put this statement into context, my last programming language was BBC Basic and I did terribly at mathematics at school!
    Despite this, in my second day of using LSX I was able to use expressions to create an abstract that reacted in real-time to audio as in the video below (excuse the TTL laser and not so good filming)!

Yesterday I played around with some other buttons (there are lots) and messing around with more expressions. I have noticed that very occasionally (twice) LSX doesn't like an expression that I 'make up' and crashes - which isn't suprising, considering I don't have a clue what I'm doing most of the time! This usually happens when I write something like "wave*angle*pi*something that creates an infinite result"
    The Wave command takes the audio waveform created when you import music (Wave2 is live audio, Spec and Spec2 are frequency related wave inputs). The Angle command is the position in radians of the current X,Y point in relation to the centre of the screen.
    This should not sound scary! There is a help button with a list of functions and variables and even if you don't know what they do, give 'em a go!
    This is what I came up with and although the point-rate is high, it just about scans on my laser and it's more about me learning at the moment, than creating awesome eye-melty abstracts - that will come in time

The above was created using the Ping command. After talking to cmb (none of us are worthy) it's actually not the best way of creating things like this. But hey, it's all fun.

The only other thing that I've played with is the Lissajou abstract generator, without a great deal of luck so far. I suspect that a midi controller with knobs on would aid the process of creating stable, eye-pleasing abstracts - it is an analogue emulator after all. Oh, and the Masterbeam live controller - again, best with touchscreen and or midi interface but certainly a very useful tool to use for creating abstracts (as well as it's live show functionality).

I'm going to leave my review there for now but will update it as I learn more. I'm thoroughly addicted to LSX and would recommend it to those more creative types who would rather create their own individual content, rather than having typical canned effects.

It's cheap, compatible with a multitude of dacs and has amazing functionality.

Thanks Drlava

Keith
    Last edited by Galvonaut; 10-23-2013 at 04:28. Reason: Brain malfunction

I'm happy you're enjoying your new toy !

Default LSX Lissajou - first go

Thanks Mickael

Today I've been playing with the Lissajou generator and despite not having lots of nobs to turn, managed to turn something reasonable out.

This is my first LSX Lissajou quad chase effect.

Keith

How does Pro compare to the Lite version?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankTank59 View Post
    How does Pro compare to the Lite version?
    I like the way that LSX features are broken down between versions. Lite allows you to create fully functional shows with no limitations except that it is limited to one scanner, one target world (adjustment to where you projector projects within its potential range) and one optimization set (scanner speed and other projector specific adjustments). Although you are limited to one unique timeline, there are no limitations on color pallets or anything else, so your one scanner show can be as complicated and robust as you'd like. Most people with a single projector probably don't need more than this version to create their first shows.

Basic introduces the ability to have two unique projector shows with additional projector specific tweaks, and provides the full 3D graphics editor (PicEdit).

Pro expands your unique simultaneous timelines to 8, allows you to create use many more of target worlds and optimization sets and has tons of bonus items. Details are contained here: https://innolasers.com/shop/index.ph...roller=product

Because the cost is so low for each version compared to other high-end laser software packages, most of the LSX users advise to just start with Basic and upgrade to Pro when/if you want to make complicated beam shows or want some of the other additional features. Personally, I started with Pro and was pleased that I did so.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I would always advice Basic over Lite because of the midi support. If you are never going to get a second projector and never going to do live shows then Lite will be good enough but I find a midi controller indispensable for live shows (or in my case, the ability to send midi from Processing to LSX).

It lists them on the Innolaser website. Riya and Etherdream are the most popular.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by king4quarter View Post
    Ok I see it looks like analogue...but what about the DAC?

Cheers
    from the website: Supported DACs: RIYA, Moncha, Fiesta, Easylase, Netlase, LDS, OLSD, QM2K, Lumax, Mamba, EtherDream

https://innolasers.com/shop/index.ph...roller=product
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Riya is the cheapest from the lot.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by king4quarter View Post
    just stumbled across dr.Lava's website, think Ill get it all from him

Cheers for the help
    stumbled??

the link i posted *is* dr.lava's website.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.