Thread: new to rgb quick balancing question

Default new to rgb quick balancing question

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am happy to have found it...
    My question:

I have a 200mw 532nm Lasever dpss in the setup i've been using for a few years at a nightclub. I want to upgrade it to rgb. What would be a good suggestion for my blue and red dpss's be as far as nm, mw and manufacturer to get a good white balance?. Also what Dichros would be required to do this and or manufacturer of them.

I appreciate any help to get it right!

Jim

My current setup also includes:
    Full-Auto Pro
    Cambridge 6800hp scanners
    drilled and tapped custom optical table

If you are interested in balanced white, you need at LEAST double the red as you have green, many will recommend as much as 4x, at higher power levels this becomes difficult (read expensive), so I would aim for at least 2x, as far as blue goes, as much as you can afford, I would say 150-200mW for your unit. Green is by far the most mW for your $ especially at higher power levels, red is only dirt cheap at very low power (<50mW), and optically combining more than 2 red modules is very difficult, cheapest red setup is probably 2 maxyz 200mW modules combined (after losses will yield approx 350mW), I have personally not tried this, but other people on this forum will recommend it highly, if you need more power than that 671nm DPSS red is probably your next best bet or 635nm Diode high power (available up to like 600-800mW or so). If you are looking for RGB, I would probably lean toward the DPSS for beam quality (2mm output beam vs 5-6mm for the 635nm), but the 635nm will appear much brighter per mW.

thanks for the response.. money is not the primary issue... i just want to do it correct the first time! I think it would be worse to keep buying the wrong products and not be happy. how about the dichro's? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by illuzion View Post
    If you are interested in balanced white, you need at LEAST double the red as you have green, many will recommend as much as 4x, at higher power levels this becomes difficult (read expensive), so I would aim for at least 2x, as far as blue goes, as much as you can afford, I would say 150-200mW for your unit. Green is by far the most mW for your $ especially at higher power levels, red is only dirt cheap at very low power (<50mW), and optically combining more than 2 red modules is very difficult, cheapest red setup is probably 2 maxyz 200mW modules combined (after losses will yield approx 350mW), I have personally not tried this, but other people on this forum will recommend it highly, if you need more power than that 671nm DPSS red is probably your next best bet or 635nm Diode high power (available up to like 600-800mW or so). If you are looking for RGB, I would probably lean toward the DPSS for beam quality (2mm output beam vs 5-6mm for the 635nm), but the 635nm will appear much brighter per mW.

Default and also

looking for the best mounts for the optics to use for ease of adj. any links were to purchase would be appreciated.

I managed to pick up some really great deals on e-bay. I would look for thorlabs brand mounts....good stuff. As for the optics I would get new from Edmond Optics....they work ...the first time out.
    just me .02 Also got a killer deal on a rotational table.....check it out in my gallery in new setup....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by jsalopeck View Post
    looking for the best mounts for the optics to use for ease of adj. any links were to purchase would be appreciated.
    Jim,

I'm a fan of the newport components. The verticle drive mounts in particular. It makes adjusting the beam path much easier in the dark. They are a bit pricey, but work great. http://www.newport.com/HVM-Series-Ve...3/catalog.aspx

As recommended above, the Edmund optics seem to be the best. Here is a link to the 45 degree reflective dichroics that you will need. http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=2433

Regarding color balance. If you are just doing beams and beam quality is not of real concern, then I would go with 200 to 300mW of 635nm and between 150 to 200mW of 473nm. This will give a nice balance with all lasers ramped up. It would be ideal to make the green laser the farthest from the scanhead and make either red or blue only strike 1 dichroic. My current setup has the red first, hitting one dichroic before the scanners; the blue second, hitting its dichroic then the red dichroic; and the green last hitting a mirror and going through the other two dichroics. Here, a photo is worth a thousand words:

David

thanks... those look great... thanks for the help... this is first time for me using dpss

David,
    Are those Lasever modules?
    Have you ever had any problems with them- (had to return, etc)?

----David,
    Are those Lasever modules?
    Have you ever had any problems with them- (had to return, etc)?----

Steve-o,

Yes, all three are Lasever. I did have a problem with the blue laser. I sent it back and had a replacement in 10 days. The new blue is working great so far. I'm not thrilled with the divergence of the red, though since it is 635nm, it is much brighter than the 660nm laser I have. The red is 200mW and is measuring at 210mW, the green is spec'd at 100mW and is doing 193mW. Not sure what the new blue is doing yet, though it is a heck of alot brighter than the last one.

David

Thanks David
    Nice looking setup.
    Do you have a gallery?