Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how much power do projectors use?

Dream - I've just remembered a thread I found on here (before I registered I think). Drbass created this self-powered PJ using power tool batteries. Might be an ideal solution if you don't mind some tinkering?

Keith

An invertor operating from a car battery (engine idling for charge) is also doable, as are small petrol powered generators. Just ensure the supply is within your voltage range before connecting.
    This space for rent.

Quoting Drbass from the thread above regarding galvo power consumption :

"The galvo consumption vary a lot! They can jump from 10 watt to 100W ! depending on the amplitude and kind of wave they are modulating. The galvo consume more than the laser and peltier at full power once the temp is stabilized."

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    An invertor operating from a car battery (engine idling for charge) is also doable, as are small petrol powered generators. Just ensure the supply is within your voltage range before connecting.
    You know I already said that twice, right? Just checking.. Maybe it might make a difference coming from you, I don't know...

Dream, you were given a good idea, and you didn't even criticise it. So the question is: what's wrong with it? What hidden context makes it irrelevant?

All I can go on is what you tell me. I assume that 'far' isn't too far. A half-hour show likely doesn't warrant many miles unless someone pays very well for it. So what else means 'far'? Underwater? Up a three hundred foot tower? In a cave halfway up a cliff in a gorge? Is there really no chance that a small motorbike can't get close enough? If it can, all you need to add is the projector, spare fuel, mains power cables (type used on building sites) and an inverter than will run off the bike's battery while the engine runs to keep it topped up. Make it a proper sinewave inverter, and a bike that uses 12V electrics. That's about as mobile an answer as you'll ever get, unless you're forced to use climbing ropes and a backpack.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 10-31-2013 at 06:35.

Wait wait wait! I have it! A solar powered laser show! No one thought of that now did they!
    This space for rent.

Wait wait wait! I have it! A solar powered laser show! No one thought of that now did they!
    Great idea!
    Ooh, you could make it perpetual motion, simply by using the solar panels as beam stops :P

No, no they didn't. But solar power needs storage, and ideally an MPPT transfer controller. And a lot of panels. I set up PV here, so far about 650W with 12KWH of storage, and it's NOT very portable, trust me on this.

Keith, I am having a frightening OMG moment!

On the solar front, I think it can be done. My friend has a fold up (expensive) 120W panel I think, which he charges a deep cycle battery with, which runs a fridge and charges his daughter's wheel chair when we are camping. It does a mighty fine job of keeping up with demand, subject to wheelchair use.

Only if you get a LOT of light. Solar panels are a lot better than many people think, but even so, one seriously dull day, and you might kill that battery in one night. For a half-hour show, better to carry a spare (charged) battery than any means to charge it. Make that three, run in parallel, that way they'll save each other from deep discharge as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    Great idea!
    Ooh, you could make it perpetual motion, simply by using the solar panels as beam stops :P
    What about the diffuse reflections off the solar panels at night? No no, using them as beam stops will not work.... ;o)
    This space for rent.