Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: how much power do projectors use?

Well, a UPS would be quieter than a generator, but considering the remote location, battery weight and general wiring hassle of a UPS, the generator might be the fastest setup and simplest arrangement, looks like ..
    And yes nice place ! You going to take vids of your show ?

I've got a couple of these little Honda generators and they're VERY quiet... As long as you're not right on top of them. At a meter, you hardly notice they're running unless they're being taxed...
    They're pure sign wave, and medical rated, so pretty damn clean. I've got a couple of the baby ones (800w/1.1k I think) and a bigger one (2.4k/3k I think). The big one was quite expensive, but it'll happily run for 12h on a full tank running a decent load. The little ones can be stacked up with the use of a special adapter cable to get more current, which is another great selling point.
    Plus they're Honda, so pretty damn reliable!

Not cheap though!

But the baby one should run your projector plus a laptop and (small!) sound system fine for up to 6 hours if I've got my sums and memory correct...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Honda, these models will have benefited from the Honda F1 experience. Reliable, efficient, attracts lots of chicks.
    This space for rent.

Back on track for this thread for anybody interested...... After some fun this weekend my 5W RGB with a very current hungry dual green DPSS draws 48W @ standby (2 SMPS, Scanners, Stanwax Interface, DZ board etc) 113W with lasers armed & @ threshold + cooling fans & tecs - 4 SMPS. Average draw 265W running full white power & complex graphics DT40 Pro with large mirror - the odd 300W spike seen during shows.

This all ran fine from a decent online 1500VA UPS for an hour outside - a decent brand '500W' modified sine car inverter was NOT upto the job as couldn't handle the type of load presented during heavy use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3638[1].JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	40811

If the inverter was really 500W it should work from the sounds of your load. Check the specs carefully the selling wattage is often a peak rating, with continuous usually much lower. Also, true sine wave is much better for the life of your switch mode power supplies, modified sine can be hard on them. Same with the ups though, unless its a very expensive true sine wave model would likely be a modified sine wave.

Quote Originally Posted by m0f View Post
    If the inverter was really 500W it should work from the sounds of your load. Check the specs carefully the selling wattage is often a peak rating, with continuous usually much lower. Also, true sine wave is much better for the life of your switch mode power supplies, modified sine can be hard on them. Same with the ups though, unless its a very expensive true sine wave model would likely be a modified sine wave.
    Small inverters may struggle with the high inrush current of the SMPSU's too.
    This space for rent.

The UPS was true sine & the inverter modified sine. The inverter was 500W peak rating with 400W continuous. I looked at the effect on the smps from a modified sine with a scope & I would recommend nobody run any kit they value off a cheap modified sine. True sine or dc-dc conversion.

I wish they never called it modified sine. It was never sine to start with.. Just bipolar rectangle waves timed to approximate sine's transfer of current and voltage. It's not that unusable though, IF your gear has 'universal' power supplies. Anything designed to handle low mains volts (as low as 85V in many cases) will handle the 'modified' sine. The trick is to use the higher volt output. As a 'universal' SMPU is usually rated to take as much as 265V, using a 240V 'modified' sine inverter is wise, because that way the current is lowest while still staying safely inside voltage limits. Because the current IS low, it puts less demand on filtering components which are rated for at least three times that current. While that's intended for true sine wave at low mains volts, it does withstand higher volts, lower currents, with nasty rectangular waves. The PSU for the LambdaPro lasers I have are fine even when using 110V 'modified sine' at double the average current drawn from UK mains. They hum a bit more, but do not get too hot. 240V inverters are safer, and likely a lot cheaper (if sold second-hand) in the US or any place that doesn't natively use that voltage. So if you're short of money this is a good risk to take so long as you're totally sure your gear is using a PSU that takes ANY voltage from 85 to 265 VAC. I think most SMPU's do now, but take care, because some auto-switch between 115 and 230V, and don't have the full range. These may not be safe. And older mains transformers obviously are not safe.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-17-2013 at 05:04.