Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is going to the Pink Floyd Laser Show in Lakeland Fl on March 2 and 3?

Default Re: What is lumina? See the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    What's a 'lumina' effect?
    Have a look at this thread for a link to a great lumina video that Spec shot about a year ago. Amazing what you can do with a white light beam and a simple crystal goblet!

Adam

Default Lumia coolness

That link was awesome - thanks for passing it along. And thanks for the tips on the Pink Floyd show! I was going to ask "Laser Dave" how they did it, but they were late for their next show and didn't have much time to chat

BTW - Did you buy the special glasses for the show? At first I figured I would want to see the "raw" show, but once I tried the glasses I never took them off. At the show I liked the white ones (that split apart the colors, but kept only graphic). At home for viewing my shows in a confined space, I like to use the pink goggles that create many copies of the graphic. It makes my meager Popelscan shows a little more impressive!

-Andy

Question

You had to buy the glasses? They were giving out a pair of cheap cardboard ones at the Lakeland show...

Smile

Yeah, they gave us our glasses... Wierd. (Might have been that the theater in Lakeland bought the whole show, whereas at other shows Ryan and his crew just book the venue and then get a take of the box office receipts, so selling glasses is extra money for them in that case.)

Anyway, I never use the glasses at a laser show. I think it actually detracts from the show a bit. But some people really dig them.

Those glasses are fun to experiment with though. The "grid" style gratings make for an impressive spray of beams; just aim your laser through the lens. (Be carefull - you'll end up with beams all over the place.) Also, I don't think they'll handle much more than 500 mw or so.

You can buy those glasses in bulk on the Internet (or E-bay even) for less than $1 a pair. (The last time I ordered some, I think I ended up paying like 68 cents a pair plus shipping.) I only ordered 20 that time, just to have some gratings to play with.

Adam

For anyone who missed the show or are too far away to see it, I was surprised to find several videos of it on youtube. Quality is pretty bad, but it gives you an idea of what its about. Not a bad show at all, much improved since I last saw it around 1995 or 1996. I was kinda surprised at how much of it was stock pangolin frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8T7exm9gQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHAc6...elated&search=

David

Yeah - we had to buy glasses ($3 for two pair of glasses)... After the show, though, I went around and picked up all the glasses that people had left I liked the way the glasses "immerse" you in the show, they fill your whole field of view with images...

I think there is also a video of the show on http://www.laserspectacular.com. I'm not sure if it's their new show, or old show though...

David:

The links you posted were indeed to the same version of the show that we saw in Florida. (Though I wished they had posted video from when they did "Another Brick in the Wall" at the start of the second act... That was awesome!)

For comparison - the video on the Laserspectacular website has clips from the previous version of the show. They've changed it quite a bit since then.

Adam