Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserwave 1 watt OEM V-S

Thumbs up Laserwave 1 watt OEM V-S

Anybody that knows me and my history with laser projectors will know that I am living proof of the fact that green is unlucky. With the exception of my Laserscope, I have never owned what I would call a really good green. They have either had horrible beams, slow modulation, temperature problems, loose optics, you name it, I have sent a laser back for it. Some came back working very nicely, and others were not so lucky. I have had CNI, Viasho, Lamda, Lasever and Laserwave and they all gave me massive headaches.

My latest, rather ambitious project was to build 3 identical 5 watt RGB's to a very high standard. This all went very well until it came to the green modules. I started with 2 x CNI and 1 Laserwave all rated at 1 watt, but the Laserwave outperformed the CNI's by a country mile in modulation speed. So on their own, the CNI's were ok, but with the Laserwave in the third projector, the colours were a mile out across the three systems. I then had 3 of the Laserwave OEM's, but these had vast differences in performance and beam quality.

I ended up getting in touch with Bridge, explaining my predicament and what I was trying to achieve. Bridge was amazingly helpful and we struck up a deal. I returned my 3 OEM's to Laserwave, paid the cost difference plus a little extra to have three matching OEM V-S lasers made special for me. He gave me Eric Cheung as a point of contact, and throughout the whole transaction, Eric was absolutely brilliant. He maintained regular contact, kept tabs on what was going on, updating me every step of the way. Once the lasers were built, Eric sent me photo's of the test results before shipping.

The lasers arrived safe and sound in a well packed box. I already had the PSU's from the OEM's which is why you don't see any in the box in the pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	40584

All three modules were making pretty much the same power. According to my Coherent meter, they were making 1.5 watts give or take a few milliwatts. Most importantly, the difference in power across the three modules was no more than 30 milliwatts.

I fired the lasers about 15 Mtrs up my garden and all three had a very round spot, pretty much all of the power was concentrated in the middle of the beam and all beams show roughly 1 Mrad divergence and around 3mm diameter. Once again, all three were visually the same. There was no visible mode hopping or changes in the beam quality over time, so they seemed pretty stable.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	40586

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	40587

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	40585

Now I have them in the projectors and so far, they seem very stable. There is a very slight difference in modulation rise and fall times, but it is *very* slight. The only noticeable difference is with deep orange colours where one is slightly different to the the other two. But that can be tuned out with colour palette's. Other than that tiny little difference, the modulation is very smooth on these lasers. Green only effects look smooth and silky, fades are smooth and colour gradients look amazing.

So all in all I am very pleased with the quality of these modules, communication and service I received from Bridge, Eric and Laserwave as a whole.

Soon as I get chance, I will post video and pics of these beauties in action.

Suffice to say, I thoroughly recommend these lasers, best DPSS I have seen.

Cheers
    Mark

Nice review Mark.
    I have got the first of two of these 1w heads from Rob (second on order) and even though I have only seen it working in CW so far this is a very nice head.
    Measured doing 1.3W after warm up and a very tight beam, I'm looking forward to getting these fitted into my projectors.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Insanity,

I was also impressed with Eric Cheung who has been my latest contact from Laserwave. I believe their latest models are substantially redesigned and they have indicated to me that they are intending to compete aggressively with CNI who they consider their main competitor.

Thanks for the review.

Just got my 1W head fitted in to my projector this afternoon and I have to say and agree with Mark that the modulation of these heads is just about the best I have seen of any Green DPSS.
    Very linear through the power rang and very snappy when switching on.

Can't wait to see how well it works with the Red and Blue fitted but they still need building.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

I believe their latest models are substantially redesigned and they have indicated to me that they are intending to compete aggressively with CNI who they consider their main competitor.
    They don,t need to compete on price but improve their electronics
    Maybe you could convince them of going heat and cool driver since CNI has them now. I talked with many people that tried to convince bridge but they all failed including myself. The beamspecs might be improved and overal mechanics but as long as the electronics are crap its just another green laser. One thing i like from the Laserwaves is the fact that they have universal voltage driver (5v) How hard can it be for an electronic engineer to design a driver that can heat and cool. It improves the stabbility and its doesn,t cost anymore. But i guess the reason like always is that when they think it isn,t nessesary they are right and so they will not do it......

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Edison,

Can you be a little more specific? I trust you have worked with some of their DPSS lasers as I have. The projectors I have them running in are used in fairly comfortable RT environments. The green DPSS lasers take a minute or two to come to maximum output from a completely cold start and then modulate well for hours. What are the noticeable effects that you attribute to a lack of biphasic temperature control? And please understand, I am not arguing with you, I am trying to understand how this manifests.

When I discussed their design with bridge he explained to me that there are distinct differences in the head that allow them output substantially over spec and to modulate well and this has been my experience.

I think I had that difficulty with my laserwave of a few years ago. Only a problem when used in cold weather. Outdoor shows, out in the mountains, it can often be pretty cold even in late may, early june. Not sure of the exact temperature but I'd guess less than 10C. I've had to block off the ventillation fan in my projector in some cases to get the internal temperature up, otherwise very big power dropoff. Though it might have been something not right with it, as it later failed fairly quickly (was a warranty replacement and I suspect not brand new when I received it, so may have been a problem laser to begin with)

Hi Edison,
    You hadn't using OEM-V-S, you never know how good it is.
    For OEM unit, without fan and the diode itselves bring heat, it proved no need heat at all. customer using will prove it.
    I am curious is your blue and red need heat? you add heat and cool both of your blue and red lasers?
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Edison,

Can you be a little more specific? I trust you have worked with some of their DPSS lasers as I have. The projectors I have them running in are used in fairly comfortable RT environments. The green DPSS lasers take a minute or two to come to maximum output from a completely cold start and then modulate well for hours. What are the noticeable effects that you attribute to a lack of biphasic temperature control? And please understand, I am not arguing with you, I am trying to understand how this manifests.

When I discussed their design with bridge he explained to me that there are distinct differences in the head that allow them output substantially over spec and to modulate well and this has been my experience.
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

First thanks for your choose our lasers before, look like your before buying is our lasers with fan, so when very cold places using, it cool not working and can't catch the best working temperature.
    Now we change to OEM unit, OEM-V-S is upgrade of OEM, it proved better beam spec and more stability.
    You also won't face cold time won't power normal, as the diode is bring heat and the OEM-V-S is without fan, the heat will make the TEC working it not very very low temprature. as you know green is DPSS, using crystal inside, the diode will bring heat, so very very low temperature, it will sudden broken the crystal, even you had heat funcation, just like a very cold glass add hot water, it sudden broken, before you heat make the temperature normal. even 808nm diode manufactory are write using 10-35 degree.
    Planters is near you, he is also professional engineer here, he can do test for you.
    I know now you are finding lasers, If you interesting try our OEM-V-S, if you had problems, tell me directly, we will give you fair solve way. we 100% trust our OEM-V-S.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by m0f View Post
    I think I had that difficulty with my laserwave of a few years ago. Only a problem when used in cold weather. Outdoor shows, out in the mountains, it can often be pretty cold even in late may, early june. Not sure of the exact temperature but I'd guess less than 10C. I've had to block off the ventillation fan in my projector in some cases to get the internal temperature up, otherwise very big power dropoff. Though it might have been something not right with it, as it later failed fairly quickly (was a warranty replacement and I suspect not brand new when I received it, so may have been a problem laser to begin with)
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    ...as you know green is DPSS, using crystal inside, the diode will bring heat, so very very low temperature, it will sudden broken the crystal, even you had heat funcation, just like a very cold glass add hot water, it sudden broken, before you heat make the temperature normal.
    Nice explanation. Someone posted about a DPSS laser that I assumed might have had a crystal bonding broken. (It was a 150mW one I think, so seems likely to use a composite crystal). I didn't think of this though. I have no idea if he ever used his in extremely cold weather.

One reason I like Edison's cases is that they seem to be a good basis for heat management, no airflow through the case, compact, surprisingly close to spherical so if the fan-cooled heatsink base isn't being actively fanned, total heat loss might be low even with slight wind, so it seems as if you could adapt it to maintain a constant internal temperature fairly easily with a larger external variation.

Recent posts I've seen suggest temperatures as high as 45°C might be found in a large club, and today someone mentioned a mountain area that was likely below 10°C even in June. People seem to be asking a lot of their laser projectors. Heat, cold, impact resistance... But how many people want to pay for military spec laser shows?!