Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Whitelight Diode

MMM...spectacular colors Yadda. I thought the pump source was a blue cw diode laser- . I guess not.(on your unit) What did you use? What type mirrors? And what fiber? The flouride-Pr or something else?
    Adam-yes I agree that the blue pump module would be a couple of grand at least--but small price to pay for true white-light!! And critical alignment and optical components a must. maybe an excersize in futility but maybe not. For the hobbiest--yep, a definite challenge but impossible--i dunno--maybe not

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by yaddatrance View Post
    We actually have a sample unit in-shop of the "tapered optical fiber" for evaluation that we received early last year.
    Is this the Sumita fiber or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by yaddatrance View Post
    The problem for amateurs is that it requires a very high quality and very fast pump source which are not currently inexpensive.
    Then it's a pulsed design? How fast can it be pulsed? The Sumita version is CW, which would be better for laser shows?

I looked at the pictures in the gallery link you provided. Awesome - a full-spectrum white light laser - any kind! - IS my "dream" laser.
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    --Albert Einstein

I emailed Sumita to try to get some dtails
    No response yet

Adam--Jeah, the Jenoptic is out for most of us i think. Exept for Yadda :jealous: and Bill Gates

Yadda--I'd really like to hear some details on that IR pumped true white-light laser that you linked to in your gallery. I know that the pump source has to be *very* fast with quick rise times and fall times like a dye laser, but.. it sure is interesting... any details on fiber compound etc would be appreciated (if it's not proprietary, that is..)

Steve

I got a response. The datasheet didnt make it tho. I requested they re-send it.

Thank you very much for your inquiry of our Downconversion Fiber.
    Please find attached our information sheet.
    If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at
    any time.
    For your reference, we have prepared following standard evaluation sample:
    Down Conversion Fiber
    NA 0.3, Core 6um, Clad 200um
    300mm/pc.
    C&F USA, US $360
    We thank you in advance for your attention and are looking forward
    to hearing from you.
    Best regards,
    Yoshi Enomoto
    SUMITA OPTICAL GLASS, INC.

The sample price kinda went up

I wonder if you could just coat the "hr" and the oc directly on the end of the fiber. just polish it straight and you would never have to align it. You could directly fiber couple the 445 diode, have the hr and oc built in, and never have to align anything. And glue a grin collimating lens on the output side of the fiber.

Piece of cake! At least in theory..

I also noticed from the picture they had a polarizing beam combiner with two blue beams going in. It looks like that needed assuming 200mw from each laser 400 mw worth of pump.

Chad

Yeah, Chad that would definitely be worth a try. Are you talking about bonding using epoxy or other glue, or using optical mounts to butt the ends of the fiber to the mirrors? I'm presently stumped on the fiber-lasers' pump source. What most of 'em seem to be using is femto
    second pulse lasers. This may be why Yadda said that the price is prohibitive. I must admit that I'm unfamiliar with a fS blue laser I also can't find any info/ specs on the mirrors such as %R on the output coupler mirror.

Steve

I was talking about actually depositing the reflecting surface on the fiber ends itself. I was also thinking about the fiber from SUMITA OPTICAL GLASS. With that ii think you just need some cw 440 as the pump.

Chad

Chad,
    I don't how you would directly deposit the thin layers of dichroic material on to the ends of the fiber. Sounds hard to do but I don't know too much about that..
    From everything I've read so far all of these fiber lasers use femto-second pulse lasers as the pump-source. I don't know what they're doing at Sumita--if its a cw blue or what
    Maybe Yadda knows.
    Yadda?
    Can you give us any info?

Applying CPR to a dead thread..

I read in the previous posts that the Jenoptic is a very desirable unit for light shows. It is pulsed tho..
    I thought that was a no-no in the laser show business (scanning and pulsed lasers don't mix)