Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just getting Started - Need help please

Maby the Flashback 3 controller can be used as 2nd and 3rd controller at a LD Pro/basic system? That would be nice!!

Well, I spoke with Hayden this weekend, and while I had a great time talking with him (he's a seriously cool dude), I wasn't able to learn anything about the new Pangolin Hobbyist product. Hayden actually didn't know anything about it!

Evidently Bill is the driving force behind this product, and he hasn't told anyone else about it yet. Hayden couldn't even speculate on what sort of features might be included.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until Bill gets back from his trip to China... (Actually, that might take a while, since after China I think he said he was going to go to Australia next...) But I'll be sure to ask him about it at my earliest opportunity.

I did get to see the Flashback controllers, and they are *REALLY* small. Think 4 or 5 credit cards stacked up, and you've got it. The cool thing is that they can run an entire show. Once you've created the show, you can save the show file to the compact flash memory card on Flashback unit (using the usb interface) and then you can disconnect the computer and just run the show off the flashback card! Pretty cool...

Adam

Would the fact that they are stand alone suggest that they wont sync to music?

Jim

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Would the fact that they are stand alone suggest that they wont sync to music?Jim
    That's an interesting question Jim... I can't say for certain, but I'm inclined to say that they would still be able to support music syncronization. Here are my thoughts:

Assuming that you can start and stop the show from the USB cable connected to a computer, then as long as the software supported some sort of music playback, it should be trivial to send a "start show" command at the same time as the music starts.

Unfortunately, Hayden didn't even know what software Bill was planning on including with this new product. (Like I said, he knew *nothing* about it!) I mentioned the LA Studio software, and Hayden did say that Pangolin has some of the programmers from that old company doing some contract work for them now, but he didn't elaborate on exactly what they were working on.

Since we don't know anything about the software, it's hard to say. I'm pretty sure that if you have a standard Flashback controller and you load a show onto it that you've built on a LD2000 system, then the show *can* be sync'd to music using the control software (is it Samba?) that comes with the Flashback unit. So it would seem logical to assume that the new hobbyist software would retain that ability...

Eh - I *really* need to talk to Bill. Too bad he's on the other side of the world right now...

Adam

That would need the fb3 to be connected to your pc for the sync signal to be sent, I thought the idea of the FB3 was to make the pj stand alone.

Jim

Check out this thread on the Pangolin Forums. It is about the flashback and Bill talks about his plans for the hobbie version.

http://www.pangolin.com/ubb/showflat...n=0&page=0#921

"Hi JoJo,

Our LivePRO can control multiple scanners through USB using Direct Feed with the Flashback 3. While I was at NEO-NEON factory last month, we had six separate projectors running over USB with LivePRO!

We will soon have a version of software made specifically for hobbyists, which will use a cost-reduced version of our Flashback hardware, and pretty decent software, all for around $500. The software license will be such that it will be restricted to non-commercial uses, but that is great for hobbyists...

Keep watching this forum for more information.

Best regards,

William Benner "
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

So, am I to gather from all this that the new Pangolin 'hobbyist' kit will probably include PC software and a USB DAC?

If that is correct what else, other than a couple of Galvos, do I actually require to get my first 'single colour' projector working? Does the USB DAC connect directly to the galvos or is there something in-between?

Would it be fairly safe to buy some of the DT40 pro Galvos at this stage and have them 'ready' ? I've also read somewhere that sometimes a 'third' Galvo is used for cutting off the beam in an emergency, is that correct?

What size of breadboard do most of you use for mounting all the component parts on. Bearing in mind that my 'greenie' may eventually be joined by a red and a 'bluie' Do you use the 'Matrix' pre drilled and tapped type of breadboards, or do you use solid aluminium plate and drill as necessary?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is still very new to me and i am trying to learn, as with everything though you have to overcome the terminology before you can start to find out what it all does :-).

Cheers

Jem

I think most of us us flat ali plate and drill where neccesary.
    The gavos come with amp/driver boards that the DAC can connect directly to.
    When you are planning on the size of your base you need to keep in mind that you need room for optics (dichros and mirrors) the drivers for the lasers and also the power supplies.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    So, am I to gather from all this that the new Pangolin 'hobbyist' kit will probably include PC software and a USB DAC?

If that is correct what else, other than a couple of Galvos, do I actually require to get my first 'single colour' projector working? Does the USB DAC connect directly to the galvos or is there something in-between?

Would it be fairly safe to buy some of the DT40 pro Galvos at this stage and have them 'ready' ? I've also read somewhere that sometimes a 'third' Galvo is used for cutting off the beam in an emergency, is that correct?

What size of breadboard do most of you use for mounting all the component parts on. Bearing in mind that my 'greenie' may eventually be joined by a red and a 'bluie' Do you use the 'Matrix' pre drilled and tapped type of breadboards, or do you use solid aluminium plate and drill as necessary?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is still very new to me and i am trying to learn, as with everything though you have to overcome the terminology before you can start to find out what it all does :-).

Cheers

Jem
    The USB DAC connects to the projector by an ILDA cable (DB25 M-F)

Then for the projector:
    You need to provide an enclosure.
    You will need a DB25 male connector for the ILDA connector.
    You will wire the DB25 to your scanamps which connect to the scanheads.
    You will also wire the scanner power supply in to the scanamp.
    (The DT-40 pro provides the power supply, scanamp and scanhead in one package)
    If your laser is modulatable, then you will wire the modulation line and ground into the ilda connector as well.
    (You may need to tee off the ground for the power for this if there is only 3 lines, i.e. power, ground & mod.)

That covers the functional aspect of a projector. If you are planning on
    doing public shows in the US, then there additional regulatory requirements.
    I.e. shutters, emission indicators, keyswitches, labels, etc...

If you are looking at building a beam table, size it to fit all the components
    you are thinking about comfortably. Generally in laser entertainment, what
    you're looking for out of a beam table is rigidity. If you're looking for a low
    cost entry, a "matrix tooling plate" might be suitable as long as the throw
    isn't too long.

Luckily he is from this side of the pond and the regs are not half as bad as your variances.

Jim