Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 87

Thread: Noob question on scanners.

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i don't think a height adjust will be needed, but once i get the diodes running and the dichros glued, i will make that determination. there's no problem going with L-brackets if i have to.
    Can you use the same diode mounts to mount the dicros too? They would be at the same height, and the beam should be centered.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  2. #52
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,835

    Default

    no. you really need to be able to twiddle the angle adjustments on the dichros. however, dichro height adjustments were not necessary.

    di-circle.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Can you use the same diode mounts to mount the dicros too? They would be at the same height, and the beam should be centered.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    So were can you find cheap adjustable mounts, or is there a DIY version I can make?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  4. #54
    swamidog's Avatar
    swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    santa fe, nm
    Posts
    1,545,835

    Default

    i strongly recommend mm1 (like i used) or mm1 clones. you can find them used on ebay or new at onestoplasershop.com.

    http://www.onestoplasershop.com/hardware.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    So were can you find cheap adjustable mounts, or is there a DIY version I can make?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Thank you sir.

    Is there anything cheap about this hobby?

    I thought lasers in general where an expensive hobby, but even a simple analog DIY projector, out of used parts, trumps my whole laser collection combined. Now I know why people buy cheap Chinese projectors. I can buy one of those for less than half what a crappy DIY projector would take to build. I might as well just buy one of those RGB box lasers, and shoot it at some 20k scanners.

    EDIT: Sorry, ranting a little. This stuff isnt really high tech, I dont understand the price level on some stuff.
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 12-19-2013 at 00:15.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    So were can you find cheap adjustable mounts,
    You should've got your Goldenstar price list from Winni by now, if you contacted her when advised.
    There's '3D' 3 axis MM1 copies and flexmounts listed there for good prices.

    P.S. Just like the Personal COmputer market, for the 'stock' stuff it is now no longer as cost effective to build your own.
    My next projects will start with a very reasonable 'bare bones' off the shelf system, and modified as necessary from there. Its cheaper to buy the components already built into a product than it is the loose components these days. You just have to take it apart first before you can build it
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

    You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

    I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post

    Is there anything cheap about this hobby?
    Not really!

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post

    I thought lasers in general where an expensive hobby, but even a simple analog DIY projector, out of used parts, trumps my whole laser collection combined. Now I know why people buy cheap Chinese projectors. I can buy one of those for less than half what a crappy DIY projector would take to build. I might as well just buy one of those RGB box lasers, and shoot it at some 20k scanners.
    If you want beams, sure. Otherwise you might find you have difficulty sourcing what you want. Just remember that you get less than what you pay for most of the time. Investing the time and less money than buying an equivalent build, in your own build is well worth it. What you learn along the way is invaluable.

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    EDIT: Sorry, ranting a little. This stuff isnt really high tech, I dont understand the price level on some stuff.
    It isn't high tech but it is precision! Optics mounts have tight tolerances (or at least should have). You are paying for the care that is taken by an engineer to actually give a damn about their work.

    Keith

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    It isn't high tech but it is precision!
    This is absolutely correct. Think about a large refactor telescope from 1900. This is not at all high tech, but the best ones are still about the best telescopes you can buy.

    I can buy one of those for less than half what a crappy DIY projector would take to build.
    You might be right, but I'm not so sure. The advantage of the commercial projector is that they have sourced all those niggly bits like a dichro elevation bracket. Where the DIY shines is the care you invest in focusing, aligning and balancing the power of the lasers. This "can" give outstanding results.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    State of Shock USA
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    You should've got your Goldenstar price list from Winni by now, if you contacted her when advised.
    There's '3D' 3 axis MM1 copies and flexmounts listed there for good prices.
    Yes, I did receive the price list. I only checked out the galvos. Unfortunately I dont have enough free uses on my Office program to keep looking at it. I tried to covert it to a PDF, or simular viewing file but failed. I'll look on the web and see if I can find a free viewer somewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Where the DIY shines is the care you invest in focusing, aligning and balancing the power of the lasers. This "can" give outstanding results.
    I agree completely. My only issue is financing. I'm on a fixed income, so if I want to create anything decent in a timely matter I'm going to have to sell off some other stuff, which I dont like doing.

    Believe me when I tell you my passion for photons are as deep as everyone's here. I just have to weigh out priorities at the moment. I live month to month. Right now its Christmas time, next month there are numerous birthdays, including my girlfriends, then Valentines day, then my 15th anniversary the month after. I'm starting to think this is never going to happen.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

    "And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

    6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex, England
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    OpenOffice is free and should open it
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

    You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

    I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •