Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old LiCONix Diode Laser

Default Old LiCONix Diode Laser

Here's a system I bought on Thanksgiving and just received. It's a 1986 LiCONix Model 800-20 Diolite Diode Laser System. I remember them just starting to make these when I was there as the plasma tube technician in '84-'85. It's output is at 770-850nm, 20mW, CW or pulsed.

LiCONix is really well represented in the collection. 5 He-Cd, 2 He-Se, this Diode, 2 Ion, a meter, and a couple each of tubes and power supplies. I saw Mark Dowley at Photonics West last January, looking healthy and leading another diode laser manufacturer. Walking through the aisle in the exhibition hall and Randy Kimball yelled my name out. Rand was the marketing director for a very long time there. It was a fun company to work for. I think I left because I got a gig making holograms. Probably should've stuck with the lasers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liconix 800-20.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	490.9 KB 
ID:	41150

Looks like it's Liconix weekend, because I just picked up this 1992 model 5005 argon ion laser system here in Phoenix. Cleaned up real easy this afternoon and everything's like new, except a missing shutter knob and broken indicator lamp on the head.

Name:	Liconix 5005.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	415.0 KB 
ID:	41182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liconix 5005 head left.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	504.2 KB 
ID:	41183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liconix 5005 head right.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	437.4 KB 
ID:	41184

He-Se you say? I was not aware that He-Se's were made commercially... and here I am trying to build my own.
    Last edited by SoulFeast; 12-09-2013 at 13:38.

Liconix made the model 501 He-Se in the mid-'70s but they didn't find an application. I have two that both came from the Arkin brothers at Holospectra. One has a broken tube, the other is intact. The one here is from 1975. RCA probably made one as well, but I'll have to dig for the reference.

Name:	Liconix 501.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	762.6 KB 
ID:	41200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liconix 501 Head.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	41198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liconix 501 Prism.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	41199

Would you mind taking some pictures of the inner workings?

I'm currently working on a design for a HeHg, and HeSe using old HeNes. The plan is to attach an ampoule of the metal to the anode end. The HeHg will be a flowing gas with the He canister permanently sealed to the tube via tubing and ceramic, with a valve to let in more, and a valse splitting off to go to the vac.

The HeSe will be of similar design, however it will be hard sealed since the pressure stays relatively stable with these.

Some pictures of the innards, however, could provide me with something else to work off.

Bob you should consider getting the intact one re-pumped and working. Is the assembly in the third picture an electronic line tuning thing? Is there a real manual explaining this laser? Cool old stuff. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

All my time working at SP and Liconix was as a plasma tube tech, doing assembly and vacuum processing. At SP it was sealed tube CO2. At Liconix it was He-Cd. Light glass work at both places, head assembly, initial running. I know I have the processing procedures for the GTE Sylvania/SP/Line Lite Lasers series of CO2s, and probably for the He-Cds too. He-Se I'll have to dig for but Bob Arkin might know it.

The assembly is the prism wavelength selector from the rear. I'll take a few more pics. They're much cleaner now!

I remember seeing an ad in Laser Focus in the 80s for the Liconix Argon. I also remember wanting one.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

As I remember the tubes featured bolted on Brewster stubs with some kind of O ring like seal so the windows could be swapped out when the tube was re-pumped. The heads were light weight and one system was used on the gantry for space schuttle tank inspection. I bet some of them were decent lasers but I never actually have seen one fire. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    Would you mind taking some pictures of the inner workings?

I'm currently working on a design for a HeHg, and HeSe using old HeNes. The plan is to attach an ampoule of the metal to the anode end. The HeHg will be a flowing gas with the He canister permanently sealed to the tube via tubing and ceramic, with a valve to let in more, and a valse splitting off to go to the vac.

The HeSe will be of similar design, however it will be hard sealed since the pressure stays relatively stable with these.

Some pictures of the innards, however, could provide me with something else to work off.
    Please consider that the bore diameter will be way off for HeHg, and that the 7052 glass to metal seals in the HENEs will not take the heat.
    Not to mention the gain lengths being too short/bore diameters too small to sustain gain.

Next plan please....

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...