Thread: Mamba Black with DT40s?

Default Mamba Black with DT40s?

I've been messing with Alphalite for some time with the DT40's, and it's a neat little program, but I've decided it is a bit unstable for my tastes (since I want to eventually put this in front of a crowd), and am considering upgrading it. Mamba Black seems to be a good option, but my question is... how on earth do you hook it up to DT-40 Pro galvos?

Having a Alphalite DAC and DT-40's was real easy since they are somewhat designed for eachother, but I can't seem to find any documentation on whether you can hook up DT-40s to mamba black. I figure there is just a standard on the 25-pin output, right? In that case, I have no idea what the specific wires on the DT-40s are. Anyone try this yet?

I don't want to put down the money for Mamba Black without knowing how to hook everything up ahead of time.

Cool

Hey BoomDog;

The Alphalite is a combined hardware and software solution... You get the program AND the DAC when you buy it. Remember that the DAC is the piece of hardware that converts the digital signals from the computer into analog waveforms that the scanner amps can understand.

The standard output port for a DAC is the ILDA 25-pin connector. In the case of the Alphalite, it's a bit confusing since the *input* connection to the DAC (the cable between the computer and the DAC) is *also* a 25-pin connector. However, this input cable is a parallel cable that carries digital signals, as opposed to the ILDA-standard output port with analog signals on it. (I know - clear as mud, right?)

Mamba Black is just a software package. It will work with an assortment of DACs, but you need to buy the DAC separately. Note that while Mamba Black is supposed to work with just about any parallel port DAC, I have been unable to get Mamba Black to work with the Alphalite DAC. Mamba Black will also work with with several different USB DAC's, and will even work with some DAC's that plug into a PCI slot on your motherboard.

The DAC that is most commonly used with Mamba Black (at least in my experience) is the EasyLase USB DAC. The last time I checked, it sold for 250 Euros, or something close to that. However, I think Jian (the guy behind the DT-40's) is now selling the EasyLase DAC as well, so you might be able to get a discount by going through him.

I should also point out that Pangolin is about to release a new hobbyist package (that is, hardware and software combined) that will be quite a bit cheaper than buying Mamba Black and the Easylase DAC. (Rumored price point for the new Pangolin package is $500!) The Pangolin system will be based around their Flashback board (which uses a USB interface), and the software will be similar to the LA Studio software.

If you haven't already purchased Mamba Black, you might want to wait and see what the new Pangolin unit looks like before you buy. On the other hand, if you've already got Mamba Black, then you probably want to pick up the EasyLase USB DAC. Get in touch with Jian (he's a member here on PhotonLexicon) and see if he can hook you up.

Adam

Yea I was considering purchasing the Easylase DAC along with Mamba Black, but the price range is just out of reach right now (I'm considering selling my prize SpyderII BX handheld blue to make up for the price). But yea, if Pangolin is planning on releasing a hobbyist pack, all the better. I'll look into it, thanks Buffo. I've never heard of the LA Studio Software... how comparable is it to Mamba Black?

Any other tips or recommendations would be appreciated!

Cool

I don't know anything about the LA Studio software, apart from the fact that Pangolin bought them out back in 2002 or so. Supposedly they've seriously re-worked the software to clean up the interface and make it more user friendly. But I've never seen it in operation, nor have I ever had the chance to play with the original LA Studio software.

I'm hoping to get some more details about the up-coming release of this Pangolin product when I meet with Hayden on my next trip to Florida this weekend. If I do, I'll be sure to post them here!

Adam