Thread: 2 identical projectors, one has twice the scan angle...what could be wrong?

Default 2 identical projectors, one has twice the scan angle...what could be wrong?

Earlier this year I purchased 2 identical lasers from Wini. They were 3 watt RGBs with analog modulation & DT40 pros...Or so I thought. Last night was the first time they were both used together, and apparently they have vastly different scan angles (I was not at the venue). They were first daisy chained using one FB3, and since the lasers do not have a pattern size adjustment, I recommended using separate FB3s for each so that the sizing could be done in quickshow. It turns out one of the lasers has an unusually narrow scan range; Could the scanners be tuned incorrectly? Could one projector have DT40 wides instead of pros (and can they be identified by visual inspection)?

Eric

Did you swap the FB3's to check it wasn't that?
    Which FB3's were you using? The early FB3-SE came with single ended outputs, and an optional differential board. You may have one of each.
    What happens if you daisy chain the projectors on one DAC, do they both go wide/narrow together?
    Normally, double/half angles indicates something to do with single ended/differential signals, be it in the DAC, or projector wiring.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I had this same issue with one of my home brew projectors. Took me months to figure it out. I didn't have the db-25 screwed in tight enough and it was only getting 1/2 the signal to the galvos. Swapped the db-25 break out, and screwed the cable in all the way. Works perfect now.

Ok, so here it is...

The projectors started out daisy chained, with one FB3, and inverted pan on one of them. When the scan angle problem was identified, the scanners were switched & the problem persisted with the same projector. At this point, a second FB3 was introduced so that the scan angle could be manipulated individually, but again the problem persists; The projector with the narrow scan angle was scanning too narrow to be useful, so only one projector was used. given the different configurations that were used, the problem lies in the projector itself, but I don't know what it could be.

On a side note, when the 2 projectors first arrived, the offending projector would not pass ILDA to an Xlaser mobile beat; never tried it with the second projector, not sure if this information helps.

Sounds like an internal wiring fault...

As was mentioned earlier... I'd check the x&y wiring of the db25 sockets and scanner drivers.
    Could be a short between one of the signal lines and something like the ground maybe???

Or could be something more complicated... I'd start by Bellingham out the db25's though.
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

"Bellingham"? Please explain.

Sorry. Stupid auto type on my phone!!

I mean trace the wiring and check for shorts and/or errors... :/
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

It could be one of two things,
    1, the xy- signal is not connected in the offending projector.
    2, the size adjustment was not set wide enough on the scanner amps . Either way easy fix.
    Sounds like an ilda wiring fault though if it did not pass signal to xlaser
    Pop the lid and post a pic it's easy to I'd if they are dt's
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Yep, after your update I would say that the scanners are only connected to pins 1,2,25 and 14,15 aren't so you're only getting half the voltage swing.
    Check the wires back from the galvo amps to whichever board feeds them too. I suspect they're not connected directly to the ilda connector
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.