Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Beyond without FB3 ?

Default Using Beyond without FB3 ?

Greatings All,

I'm abroad for the Holidays in Irlande. I bought my laptop with me which
    has all my laser softwares.
    When I try to open Beyond I get a message like
    "Proper license file not found" which is there in my Beyond dir.
    and "Controler not connected".

Reading about Beyond on Pangolin website it says:

"Using Beyond without its associated hardware (no dongle needed!)
    When you first run Beyond, it looks for your hardware (QM2000 or FB3). It then authorizes the computer.
    You can later disconnect the hardware, and still continue to create, edit and even run shows on the computer"

Now, I wanted to spend some nice creative time creating graphics and maybe a show.
    I did rebooted my computer once since I disconnected my FB3.

Any way to get access to Beyond without my FB3?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Fred.

I also find this quite annoying at times ,get some free time to play with beyond ,and think crap left the fb3 at home
    That said on a very rare occasion it does work with out the fb3 but it been a few updates since i last tried that.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

When it has been "activated" earlier you could start Beyond without a connected device by opening beyond and hold down the shift button.
    Then discard the option for "qm2000 hardware" and you should be able to use beyond without any hardware connected.
    But when it's not "activated" before i'm not sure it's going to work, by me this procedure has to be done first.
    With activated i mean Beyond should been started ones with a working license and hardware connected.

Hi guys,

The Pangolin Forum, Pangolin email, or some other direct contact method will be better to get a faster answer. I am rarely on PL and just happened to catch this post out of the corner of my eye.

To answer the question, once BEYOND has seen valid and licensed hardware it will work for 2 weeks without that valid and licensed hardware being connected. So during that time you can create laser shows on air planes, operate in a different location, even on a separate computer for up to 2 weeks with no restrictions at all.

If you have an FB3, all you have to do is unplug it and then BEYOND will operate. If you have a QM2000, then you have to inform BEYOND that it is your intention to operate without any laser hardware what so ever. As mentioned by ASTATIC, if you press and hold the SHIFT key while BEYOND is starting, it will present a "hardware" type dialog box where you can UN-CHECK the QM2000 check box, and then continue. This is how you tell BEYOND not to use the hardware. Once you're ready to use it with a QM2000 again you do the same thing, but CHECK the QM2000 check box.

If you need any further information, please contact us.

Best regards,

William Benner

Thank you Badger1666, Astatic and Bill for the clarification.
    I didn't know about the shift trick.

Sadly, last time my FB3 was connected was more than 2 weeks ago so the shift method doesn't work for me

Happy new year to you!

Fred.

I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if this works for me Thanks and keep posting such a informative blogs.

I guess you could borrow an FB3 off your mate. Use it to setup and run beyond on your laptop. Once you have given the FB3 back you would then still have full use of the 3D program, video, DMX etc. I think it is fair to cut it off after two weeks. The FB3 is so small you don't even notice it is your bag.

The FB3 is so small you don't even notice it is your bag.
    Unless it's built into your projector, or stored in the lockup with all the gig equipment, and not with the main content creation workstation in the office/house, or....

Maybe they just need to set it up to disable all output formats unless the dongle is connected.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Yea, true that. I guess disabling all outputs would work too. 2 weeks is still a fairly long time

2 weeks is still a fairly long time
    For what? The inconvenience of lugging a big flightcase somewhere so you can use a workstation every fortnight...

I think the point is that it's a pain regardless of the time between connections. It annoys me because I cannot whimsically decide to do something on Beyond (testing, content creation, investigate something for someone on the forum, etc) when i'm at home, I have to plan bringing gig kit into the house in advance, or be prepared to make a special trip for it - by which point I've usually lost interest, especially if it's raining outside...

Why not use the license file along with the dongle to allow different stages of use - license file only allows use of Beyond, but no output (and perhaps no exporting of stuff), and the dongle allows the full deal.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.