Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: OPT Laser Shenzen ( Seriously bad quality )

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear you had problems but you have just 17 posts on this forum; at least with this username. I do not think you qualify to post such comments against a company which is clearly selling budget priced equipment. Every man and his dog knows that you take a risk if you buy the cheapest units. It is not ethical to say this is crap if it was also very low priced and sub standard when that was t be expected. You took a risk and paid for it. I suggest you contact the seller privately to conclude the issue so that we can be spared of negative posts.

This is not the first time an apparent new member has been negative towards a company; so I have some proposals:

1: Seller reviews to be vetted before they go live.
    2: Seller reviews be limited to members who have at least a substantial amount of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Hi All

I wanted to post this seller review here to warn you against buying systems from OPT Laser.
    IN general they make it look - chinese are good at that - that their systems are well thought of and are of good quality.
    Yet in fact this is not the case.

I wanted to share with you some info on OPT Laser modules. Especially the RGB Block they build into their systems.
    These blocks and similar are also used in the popular laser systems from RGB LASER VERKOOP, mainly their X-STAR BEAM and their CUBIC are both OPT LASER products and are utter crap !

Have a look at the picture attached. As you can see it's one big alu block with the blue diode, green dpss and red diodes.

Blue
    This is a single diode. According to them it's doing 1.6 Watt. I have not seen it do that or anything more then max 900 to 1000 mW. Brand unknown.

Green
    Green is a simple block which emits a diagonal ( / ) beam which is then compressed slightly by the optics in front of it. Output depends and ranges from 500 to 800 mW.( depending on the switch on the driver board )

Red
    Red is built with two diodes of 250 mW each. In this example one is dead after doing about 12 hours max.
    We took it out to replace it. Unfortunately OPT laser does NOT offer ANY warranty at all, although at the time you buy anything they tell you they do. But in real life, when it comes down to it, they do NOT ! You have to buy all replacement parts.

Also we have spent ample time realigning the red optics because from the factory the output of the single red diode was just 110 to 120 mW after optics. Without readjustments to the driver we got 235 out of it. Brand unknown

Bad things
    The bad things in these blocks are:

- TTL Drivers of very poor quality
    - All optics are glued to the base with poor quality glue, will de-adjust quickly.
    - Bottom plate onto which all items are mounted is drenched in cooling paste so the beneath that plate there is a big puddle of goo and a lot of moisture ( which shouldn't be there at all )
    - No TEC cooling for any of the diodes at all
    - No diode protection against any wrong current or electrostatic
    - No warranty on any of their components, even if it's a week old.

So my friends, next time you are drawling over some cheap RGB or any of the cheap systems from familiar sources, be reminded that this is what you get.

Attachment 41530
    Attachment 41531

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Hi Peter

Sorry to hear you had problems but you have just 17 posts on this forum; at least with this username. I do not think you qualify to post such comments against a company which is clearly selling budget priced equipment.

I agree with you that when you buy cheap , you get cheap. Simple.
    Yet there is a difference between cheap and just not working, even cheap materials are supposed to work.
    This is a minimal requirement I think. It may not work like any of the pro gear out there but that's to be expected for the amount invested.
    Still it should work as advertised.

Furthermore, what you suggested ( contacting the manufacturer about it ) was of course the first thing I did.
    Without going into detail too much, the result was a lengthy email discussion where the seller disregarded any and every request for warranty.
    As the seller advertises on his own website the items carry a 1 year warranty, it should be clear that warranty applies.

Also I want to add that this seller wanted us to become their distributor.
    In the end we obviously declined. Any manufacturer who sells products under false pretends is no partner of us.

You suggest that a minimal number of posts is made before a seller review can be posted.
    This may sound like a viable option but it just sets the bar for nonsense posts. Anyone who will want to post a review should be able to do so.
    The forum is an open structure, anyone can come in here, even manufacturers. They can always respond to any debates here.

Also I see it as an obligation towards fellow laserist to tell them about my experience.
    That way they can learn from it and prevent themselves form having the same ( or worse ) experience.

Regarding this thread. It unfortunately has been fouled by certain persons. It would have been nice to be able to remove these replies that have no bearing to the subject.
    This would make the thread more informational. I have asked the Admin for some cleaning up here but he has not acted upon my request ( yet ) .

Thumbs down Sigh... Maybe we should start talking about laser-damaged DLP projectors too?

Adam, could you kindly explain what bearing this has to this topic ?
    Sure. It was in response to what Wayne said:

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I think you need to take your medication....
    More to the point, it was a reminder of your previous history for excessive drama which has played out on the ILDA list countless times. Face it, this is not the first time you've gone off on a rant - nor will it be the last, I suspect. If you want to take your ball and go home - fine. But don't expect us to follow you.

It would have been nice to be able to remove these replies that have no bearing to the subject.
    Then the admin would also be justified in removing your vitriolic rants as well, right?

This could have been handled so much better, but you just had to go full-retard. When are you going to learn that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?

I have asked the Admin for some cleaning up here but he has not acted upon my request ( yet ) .
    Things don't work like that here. If you stick your foot in your mouth and stir up a bunch of drama, it's going to sit there in the thread for everyone to see. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Sure. It was in response to what Wayne said:

More to the point, it was a reminder of your previous history for excessive drama which has played out on the ILDA list countless times. Face it, this is not the first time you've gone off on a rant - nor will it be the last, I suspect.
    Adam,

This thread started out as an informative one about a manufacturer and their product. I was never meant to be about me.

Yes, I have a strong belief in principles. One of them being that when you ( whomever ) sell an item and say you offer warranty on it, you should live up to the deal if something goes sour.

As for me " ranting" , this only happens if my words are minced by people with no other reason then to ridicule.

Then the admin would also be justified in removing your vitriolic rants as well, right?
    This could have been handled so much better, but you just had to go full-retard. When are you going to learn that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?
    True, the admin would be most welcome to remove the entire thread for all I care.
    This has become nothing else but a pissing contest. Not what I would have expected from such persons like yourself and others.

Oh and I admit that maybe I could have done things differently. I have edited most of my, as you call "vitriolic", rants to at least make an attempt of getting this thread back to it's original subject which was not about me but about a faulty system and as I stated in a reply to Andy, which was meant to show others what to expect.

Things don't work like that here. If you stick your foot in your mouth and stir up a bunch of drama, it's going to sit there in the thread for everyone to see. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake.

Adam
    I hope others will learn from this thread. What they will learn depends on what they are looking for I guess. I hope they will learn that some manufacturers just do not live up to their promises.

Smile

I admit that maybe I could have done things differently. I have edited most of my, as you call "vitriolic", rants to at least make an attempt of getting this thread back to it's original subject which was not about me but about a faulty system and as I stated in a reply to Andy, which was meant to show others what to expect.
    Fair enough. I regret the tone of my previous comments.

And for the record, I do agree with you in principle. Elmer sounds like a real piece of work, and it's pretty clear that they ripped you off. An honest seller would have made *some* attempt to remedy the situation. So yeah, I think it's wise to avoid dealing with them in the future.

For what it's worth, Mimi over at Goldenstar actually talked me out of purchasing a Shen-zen laser not too long ago, because in her words "the quality is not up to the standard you would want". That's pretty cool of her to offer that on her own, but it also says a lot if one of their dealers is willing to admit that they have problems with those lasers.

In the end though, Andy has a point: you get what you pay for. Evidently Shen-Zen is just too far down on the "cheapness" scale to be worth taking a risk on. Personally I've had pretty good luck with CNI units so far, and they aren't that much more expensive... (Then again, I don't have a lot of hours on them yet, so time will tell I guess.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    I'd be interested in one of those perhaps.
    Didnt know your name was TechJunkie, LOL.

I need the stuff more than you PJ.

PM sent FD, thank you so much.
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 01-07-2014 at 09:04.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

As a Chinese people I am sorry to say but these days there is very small chance to get good laser projector from Chinese manufacturer. Atmosphere on the market is also bad, everybody competes with price only, and market itself does not recognize quality, this make how it is right now.

However there are few companies doing seriously. Some of them uses German-made Red & blue.

I myself sell imported products, and I don't see any good projectors purely made by Chinese company, for the moment..

Thanks for your honesty Sean. At least your country produces products. Our country (USA) has sold its own people out to buy cheaper products from other countries. Everyone wants cheap, and do not care about quality anymore. They call us Consumers, and for some twisted reason people here except that title without a thought. To consume means to take, and not give back. In my opinion if you are not contributing to the cause, you're not a respectable part of society.

Its very sad.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Thanks for your honesty Sean. At least your country produces products. Our country (USA) has sold its own people out to buy cheaper products from other countries. Everyone wants cheap, and do not care about quality anymore. They call us Consumers, and for some twisted reason people here except that title without a thought. To consume means to take, and not give back. In my opinion if you are not contributing to the cause, you're not a respectable part of society.

Its very sad.
    Same for our country. "We" are satisfied just to sell the raw materials (iron ore etc) and buy back complete cars and goods with all the value added.... Add in the insane OH&S thing are we no longer competitive on a very global scale.... We are safe at work, but at a huge cost.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Same for our country. "We" are satisfied just to sell the raw materials (iron ore etc) and buy back complete cars and goods with all the value added.... Add in the insane OH&S thing are we no longer competitive on a very global scale.... We are safe at work, but at a huge cost.
    At least you can work. The US has outsourced its labor too. Huge productive, historic cities in this country have crumbled in to poverty, and crime. Farms and food sources have fallen to corporate entities whose only concern is to squeeze out as much money as they can with disregard to animal and population quality. IIRC there are only 4 corporations that own 90% of the food in this country. In fact the whole government is run by corporations who placed their own people in office through lobbying politicians. Which means if they want a bill passed, no matter if its good or bad for the country, it gets pushed through as long as it serves the corporations. How the people of this country have let this happen is beyond me. As long as its not effecting the majorities lifestyle no one cares. It boggles my mind.

Rant over...