Thread: New board for companies only.

Default New board for companies only.

Over at the other forum we added a Company board to separate the ads/spam from the BST. Might be a good idea here too. It would be a good place to have new companies introduce themselves, and products without cluttering up the BST.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Seems to me the current BUY/SELL/TRADE is a workable " marketplace" where both sellers, buyers and traders can post what they want to offer, sell, trade, get-rid-off, etc.

So I see no need to further take apart this great forum. It's been working great since several years. Minus some occasional outage where Spec's would jump in and get it back online.

I tend to agree with Peter. The "Buy and Sell" forum is a pretty decent place for both hobbyists and commercial sellers.

The problem with a separate "company-only" forum is that many hobbyists also sell cool stuff from time to time, even if they're not a large company like Pangolin or Goldenstar. Example: DZ's new analog consoles, or Platinum's new laser projector cases... They sort of straddle the line between hobbyists and full-blown corporations.

So yeah, for now I think the "Buy and Sell" forum works well enough. (But for the record, this has been brought up in the past, so it's good to kick it around.)

Adam

I've read a few complaints here, and we had a simular problems over at LPF, and it worked for them.

The section will be for "new to the forum" untrusted commercial companies to introduce themselves to the forum, and show what kind of wears they sell. It does work to reduce spam considerably. If the companies are sincere, like Bridge, and Winni, they are allowed to post to the regular BST. This leaves all the hit and run companies out of the BST. It does work.

You may be right though. LPF is much more a hands on, hobbyist forum, and cheap Chinese pointer dealers are a dime a dozen. You guys buy more complete commercial hardware here.

In either case its easy to create a subforum, and would not clutter anything so thats not really an argument not to do it. The debate is practicality, and I agree it may not be practical here.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i have no issues with commercial companies making relevant posts and engaging in on topic conversations. we have seen profound quality increases in a lot of vendor provided equipment/parts/software due to their participation on PL. that's a win for everyone.

the spammers are blacklisted based on our reports to admin.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

That could work if it's for commercial activity postings. Also, it can be used to keep PL alive without putting adverts all over the site. Other than that, there should be no barrier. If people making laser stuff for sale, good enough at it to know useful stuff we need to know, there should be no barrier to them discussing it anywhere here. If firms can post commercially related statements in one place, it reduces a need to do it elsewhere on PL. Nothing wrong with referring to it though. The idea would be to keep the noise down elsewhere.

On the other hand, if firms duke it out here on technical issues, we all gain, so bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i have no issues with commercial companies making relevant posts and engaging in on topic conversations. we have seen profound quality increases in a lot of vendor provided equipment/parts/software due to their participation on PL. that's a win for everyone.
    Having a "Companies" section actually encourages that.

Its just a stepping stone to encourage decent companies to invest their time in the forum. Its not made to block anything but hit and run retailers, not necessarily spam. It works, believe me, its probably not practical here though because you dont have endless projector firms fighting for sales space. But, as Doc says, it could cause a sales competition between retailers, and thats always good for the hobby. Because they post deals its also better for them because it draws the forums attention directly to that section, instead of the deals getting lost in the BST. Its not a negative thing, its positive for both parties.

Personally I like having vendor posts intermingled within the forum when appropriate. And, I don't think it has ever been a problem on here outside of the occasional Chinese seller who pops in and out with no pricelist. Most have learned to ignore those posts. I can probably count the number of vendors who are regulars here on 1 or 2 hands.