Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single diode 3.5-4w !!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    I agree that the demands will change things, and pump diodes may indicate this progression up the spectrum for reds, but I can't help thinking that we'll see some radical new diode chemistry first because shortwave reds were very brittle and easy to damage. (Of course it might have happened and I missed it!)
    Much higher power reds already exist; they are just not offered yet.

Much higher power reds already exist; they are just not offered yet.
    That's a distinction without a real difference. Of course there will be technology that precedes market availability in every industry. And, the further in advance of a commercial offer, the more speculative the predictions. I predicted that it will be about one year and we will see red power levels comparible to the blues and the greens (multiple watt). Andy, what is your forecast?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    That's a distinction without a real difference. Of course there will be technology that precedes market availability in every industry. And, the further in advance of a commercial offer, the more speculative the predictions. I predicted that it will be about one year and we will see red power levels comparible to the blues and the greens (multiple watt). Andy, what is your forecast?
    Evening or morning Eric, I forecast just about anytime now But I also wonder if the market is ready to pay for it yet.

Just off topic; I was reading something about Nuclea Radiation from Japan leaking into the USA food chain; anything on your TV apart from news about snow.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    ...Just off topic; I was reading something about Nuclea Radiation from Japan leaking into the USA food chain; anything on your TV apart from news about snow.
    In all countries, the same problem...

In all countries, the same problem...
    I agree. We (my family) have long since turned from TV or mass media as a source of important information about world events and so my impression of the seriousness of this threat is probably similar to yours despite our relative locations. The recent law in Japan threatening journalists with imprisonment for revealing information about sensitive or unapproved topics is likely "fallout" from this disaster.

From a practical point of view, I suspect the distance to the continental food sources in North America is probably so large that the risks are pretty low. However, I would not purchase fish obtained from Japan, for the same reason that Finnish reindeer were not such a good idea after Chernobyl. We own a couple of Geiger counters and whenever the mood has struck me I have failed to find any significant changes in background radiation in my area.

I too avoid the mass media and TV; but just recently caught something on facebook about it and did not realize the severity of it. I know families over hear who still have issues from Chernobyl and that was 27 years ago.Something that really scares me is to think if we had a serious sized meteor hit us now we would be in deep trouble given the amount of worldwide power stations that could crack open and release billions of air born isotopic killers named cezium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fallout-Map-From-Japan-Nuclear-Plant.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	41802

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I agree. We (my family) have long since turned from TV or mass media as a source of important information about world events and so my impression of the seriousness of this threat is probably similar to yours despite our relative locations. The recent law in Japan threatening journalists with imprisonment for revealing information about sensitive or unapproved topics is likely "fallout" from this disaster.

From a practical point of view, I suspect the distance to the continental food sources in North America is probably so large that the risks are pretty low. However, I would not purchase fish obtained from Japan, for the same reason that Finnish reindeer were not such a good idea after Chernobyl. We own a couple of Geiger counters and whenever the mood has struck me I have failed to find any significant changes in background radiation in my area.

That picture has made the rounds and also has been cited as a fake.

http://www.politisite.com/2011/03/17...a-fabrication/

and another

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rum...e-u-s-1.137815
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I agree that this picture is probably not useful for estimating the radiation threat. However, I am extremely skeptical of ANY official sources providing truthful reporting of the radiation release. The Japanese government, the International Atomic Energy Agency, the various marine fisheries and the US government are all advocates of this energy source and stand to loose if Japanese real estate values fall, seafood demand falls or there is increased concern about nuclear energy. The down side to public welfare is not immediately and unless catastrophically obvious will be covered up.

I agree with you almost completely, Eric. I was mainly pointing out that the picture was fake. The levels mentioned there would mean deaths across the pacific as well as some serious issues on the west coast almost immediately. The fact that there has been no increase of illness yet means that those figures in the picture are flat out wrong. That certainly isn't to say that cancer won't be on the rise within the next decade, which I expect it will, especially within children. Strontium90 is a beast.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Years ago when I was in college, one of my professors spent some time lecturing about atomic energy. The information that he presented detailed the cost of building the nuclear power plant, the cost of operation, and the cost of shutting it down. It became evident that while obtaining energy from fissile materials was very cheap, the expense of shutting down the plant & getting rid of the waste negated any cost savings, and added a huge environmental & health risk. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but it does seem pretty silly to pursue nuclear energy when there is a nearly endless supply of energy to be obtained from the wind & sun.