Page 86 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7682838485868788 LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

Congrats to the winners of the C506/Mach DSP systems at SELEM!

Since announcing this configuration is available now to the laserist community, there have been several repeat questions via phone call, PM, email and in person, so I figured I would compile the common questions and answers here.

1. What is the cost?
    2. What is the lead time?
    3. What is the performance I can expect?
    4. I bought some galvos in 2013/2014/2015/2016/etc from such-and-such with/without third party amps. Can I just buy a Mach DSP and tune it myself/have you tune it for me?

1. What is the cost?

Systems are $995 for 3mm and 4mm systems, and $1095 for 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm systems. The cost difference is due to the increasing costs for us to manufacture as the systems get larger. Mounts get more expensive, mirrors are more expensive, and they take us longer to tune notch filter (if applicable) and balance the mirrors, which all cost money. We realize this is not exactly 'cheap' but we are also not looking to target the low end market with these galvos. They are more of a mid-range system, with quality and performance greater than the typical Chinese galvo, but not quite at the Cambridge 6215 / Saturn series level.

2. What is the lead time?
    2018 has been an absolute record year for ScannerMax, with sales this year beating sales of all prior years combined, and there is still a lot of time left! Realistically, lead times are 12 weeks or so from pre-paid invoice. This is simply due to the backlog from many industrial orders we are still fulfilling. With our new manufacturing facility scheduled to be open and in full swing by late-2018/early 2019 including a full crop of new assembly techs, we are hoping to cut this by two-thirds or more, and maybe even have galvos “in stock” around a one-year time frame from today. Currently, everything is still built to order, and will continue to be Made in the USA!

3. What is the performance I can expect?
    The C506 was only ever designed to be a solid 30K performer. There are many reports online of people being able to achieve 50kpps with 3mm mirrors on modified Chinese amplifiers, and some early adopters with Mach DSP doing around 40K. Kvant regularly delivers projectors tuned to 40K with their amplifiers. These scanners shine in their ability to scan very wide angles at these speeds, rather than struggling to do 30K at 8 degrees like some products on the market.
    Minimum performance specs:
    3mm – 35K
    4mm – 30K
    5mm – 30K
    6mm – 28K
    8mm – 24K
    10mm – 18K
    Realistically you can probably modify and adjust the tunings for your own needs and achieve better performance, we are not tuning these for absolute razor-edge performance, similar to how car manufacturers will tune a car engine for reliability and economy rather than absolute performance.

4. I bought some galvos in 2013/2014/2015/2016/etc from such-and-such with/without third party amps. Can I just buy a Mach DSP and tune it myself/have you tune it for me?

The simple answer is no. The C506 has three connector options, two of which are pretty well known, the White ‘MiniCT’ and red ‘MicroMatch’ connectors. If your galvos have either of these connectors, it is not compatible with the Mach DSP.

Quoting Bill:
    “The C506 normally used let's call it "conventional polarity" whereas our Saturn scanners used the opposite polarity which has better signal-to-noise. Recently we have made a new circuit board that goes on the C506 scanner that allows it to deliver the correct polarity for our driver. Everyone else [other galvo manufacturers] chose the polarity they chose because of legacy reasons. Since we started out fresh and had no legacy, we chose a polarity that maximizes signal to noise ratio.”

Simply put, the Mach DSP driver is not compatible with any galvos out there ‘in the wild’ (unless they were ordered with a Mach DSP!). We do not forsee this changing any time soon – there were a few questions about developing a new digital amp which uses the legacy polarity, or modifying old galvos with new position sensors to work with Mach DSP, but these are just things that we do not have the bandwidth or the market to explore right now.
    Hope this answers some of the more common questions we have been receiving lately!

Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Great information, thanks Ryan!

So glad this is happening!

This is a big deal for people finally wanting to get the benefits of having a digital amp. Its really substantial the ability to change tunings rather then over or underscanning.
    Yes correct the 6215s are better max performance wise but also require a toroid power supply to really get the max performance out of it and for graphics I have had great results with both saturn and 506.
    Graphics that ive made are interchangable between all galvo systems but tuning is very important for every high end, high efficiency laser content to be displayed properly and a digital adjustement is so nice because you will never have potentiometer drift or the excuse of running odd tunings again.

(I watched the video of SELEM with regards to scanner simulation and the worry about content compatibility as was asked to Alexey, this is not an issue: Just make sure you tune right or fairly close to a correct tuning, tuning is all about predictable behaviour and its part of the ilda projector standard, any manufacturer not conforming is to blame, not the creators).

My 6215 are on the shelf and have been since I got my 506. There is a difference but not one that matters in my living room. So 1k for 506 with digital amps? Now you got my attention.

I committed to recording some video with the Compact 506 / Mach DSP combo and now that SELEM is over, I took an hour to record some video of the set I have. The set I have were tuned by Bill (thanks Bill!) with 3mm mirrors. The PSU I'm using is the one Pangolin had made for them - 3.2A per channel.

I only recorded the ILDA 30K pattern and yes, I know this only tells part of the story. My goal was to show how wide these babies could scan the test pattern and the results are damn impressive. The results are much better than I can get with my CT-6210s with CAT3 amps (from Medialas). With varying mirror sizes, different PSUs and such, I'm sure that 'your mileage may vary' and this should be considered to be just a single data point.

I'm all for matching the right scanners with the right requirements and I'll say that these excel when you need 30-40Kpps very wide scanning. In addition the footprint of the C-506s with MachDSP and Pangolin made PSU is very small and requires minimal cooling. I'm very happy with this set and am using them in a location where I require all of their strengths.

Happy scanning!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Congrats to the winners of the C506/Mach DSP systems at SELEM!
    Thank you !!!

I've been thinking a lot about these and talking with a couple people about the Mach DSP and maybe getting the Saturns, if I can swing it

I won't get a better deal than this - ever

Thanks for the video David! I encourage anyone who has a set to make a video giving an honest and unbiased opinion of the systems they receive!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Thank you !!!

I've been thinking a lot about these and talking with a couple people about the Mach DSP and maybe getting the Saturns, if I can swing it

I won't get a better deal than this - ever
    Looking forward to getting them out to you once we receive your parameters and getting your feedback!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that really depends if you're running 30k or 60k content.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    My 6215 are on the shelf and have been since I got my 506. There is a difference but not one that matters in my living room. So 1k for 506 with digital amps? Now you got my attention.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Thanks for the video David! I encourage anyone who has a set to make a video giving an honest and unbiased opinion of the systems they receive!
    Sure thing, Ryan! I'm really impressed with this set. As you said, they aren't Saturns in terms of performance, but they are an amazing set of scanners. I see several more sets of C-506s w/ MachDSPs being incorporated into my projectors going forward.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"