Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

Sounds like Chinglish to me!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoStraightOnPublic.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	41785
    Now, what was this thread about again? .......

old 6800 drivers and cables located.........

Ok, well I had the 506's out on a job on Saturday night and they came in very useful!
    The promoter had booked a decor crew called flowers of life, who do UV art on netting/scrim type material.
    Behind the DJ on the stage they had a large 3D flower, made up of 4 layers of netting about 12" apart.

We decided to rig the larger projector behind the flower so that we could run abstracts around/through the flower. Unfortunately the club is in old railway arches, so there isn't much room, and I only had about 2 to 2.5m space to play with behind the netting.

So I ended up running the scanners pretty much at full angle to be able to get the beams around the flower. Normally I wouldn't be too bothered but I was going to be running abstracts, which I imagine are pretty hard on scanners.
    This was done at 30k, with the large mirror set.

Apart from some of my new abstracts which I hadn't tested/optimized (got very low FPS) they performed flawlessly.
    There's a link here to someones photo album, there are some videos on later pages which show the effect ok, albeit from a range.
    I've got a video I shot early on in the night, from directly in front of the stage which shows off the width better, which I'll link once Ive done the upload.

On the video, note the abstracts on the ceiling, to give you an idea of just how wide they were going.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/285447/a...045/@/page:2:9

P.S. on some of those still shots you can see just how effective the safey scan lenses are - a decent amount of 'smear' but still nice and visible.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Looks good Norty!

By the way, did you ever take a caliper and measure the beam from your lasers, to be projected by the scanners?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I don't think your post helps any. I will remove this post after you remove your post. Someone else may very well quote this post and say that they will remove it when I remove this one.
    John,

Jon made a good point, and offered a solution; you, on the other hand, are just adding to the problem.

By the way, did you ever take a caliper and measure the beam from your lasers, to be projected by the scanners?
    No I didn't yet Bill. I was too focussed on getting the projector running for the gig.

I have to do some work on another projector in the next week or 2, so I'll get that one on the bench and measure it whilst I'm doing 'laser related things'.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Sure, sounds great. Anyway, I'm glad you're having fun with them.

It's still funny and ironic. We didn't even have a scanner like this on the roadmap originally, and now it looks like this will become our best-selling scanner, if of no other reason, it's cost and also versatility in being able to easily handle the different mirror sizes.

Bill

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    this will become our best-selling scanner,
    Someday...
    Oh, the impatience of it all...
    (teasing!)

Bill,

What about the 506 makes it more versatile with different mirror sizes than the Saturn series?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Someday...
    Oh, the impatience of it all...
    (teasing!)
    The teasing is well deserved Brad!

By the way, the layout of our new amp is almost finished. You can see a 3D view of it here.

It looks big, but remember everything you're seeing there is the size of a credit card.

Notice all of the adjustment pots. NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    What about the 506 makes it more versatile with different mirror sizes than the Saturn series?
    That's a great question and it's really counter-intuitive, how our smallest scanners can drive our largest mirrors, and even mirrors up to 1 inch in diameter. The answer lies in something called "rotor dynamics", and that's one of the things I discuss in the 30-minute presentation I gave at ILDA.

Basically, the super-short rotor combined with 3mm shafts make the rotor extremely stiff. This raises resonant frequencies dramatically pushing them "out of band". This is why the DT40 amps delivered to me by Norty required a dual notch filter for those scanners to drive a relatively small mirror, but I removed the notch filter and so just your ordinary average every-day amp can drive even large mirrors easily with our scanners. The flip side is that while this short, large-diameter rotor is very stiff, it unfortunately doesn't produce a whole lot of torque, so this limits the Compact to speeds around 30K. The Saturn series is more specialized.

For both our laser software and now for scanners and actuators, I keep coming back to the "toolbox" analogy. If you think about the Compact 506 like a pair of pliers and think about Saturn series as specialized box-end wrenches, that may help the understanding. Pliers can be used to loosen and tighten a variety of bolts, but in the end can't loosen or tighten them as well as a wrench designed specifically for one type of bolt.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 01-15-2014 at 09:40.