Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 758182838485868788 LastLast

Thread: Scannermax 506s

Then what amp's are the best to run with these C506 puppies cuz I have 2 set's from 2014 and was waiting for the mach mini which is now never going to happen.

Any scanners manufactured before late 2017 are not compatible with the Mach DSP as the position sensor is different.
    They can come back to Pangolin for modification (and of course there will be fees + amp cost + tuning cost), but that doesnt seem terribly efficient.

Alex Hay at Photon Manufacturing makes an amp, but it is really only for the 2ohm AW50 coil scanners. 2014, you probably have 3ohm 'Standard' Coils. Best option for those is likely modifying a chinese amp, or the HB amp or the X Laser amp. Not compatible with the Kvant amp, not easily compatible with Alex Hay amp. The coil itself works with Mach DSP amp (though not at max performance), but the position sensor is just not compatible.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMaw...ature=youtu.be

Cool short video Bill and I made on switching the "handedness" of a scanner set on the fly - works great for systems with symmetrical mirrors. C506 with mach DSP shown but same process for Saturn systems.

We are slowly transitioning to single-piece blocks for some scanners/apertures, but plan to stock the two piece for future orders, if requested.

Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cool. that's a clever little mounting widget.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMaw...ature=youtu.be

Cool short video Bill and I made on switching the "handedness" of a scanner set on the fly - works great for systems with symmetrical mirrors. C506 with mach DSP shown but same process for Saturn systems.

We are slowly transitioning to single-piece blocks for some scanners/apertures, but plan to stock the two piece for future orders, if requested.

Thanks,
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

The mechanical aspects of the reversible mount are really cool, but I think the Mach DSP and software provide much of the "wow factor". This driver is just amazing! There were at least a few new tricks I learned watching this.

Thanks to the both of you for making and sharing!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I don't have any recent pictures at hand but the 506's get hotter then saturns (off course) BUT are way better then the competitors in terms of thermals or performance.. the angle at 30kpps is stunning and the driver with digital tuning profiles is very important. Tuning to a higher scanrate and then running at a lower scanrate for beam is just bad practice.. you should really run at scanrates the set is tuned for.. tuning after all is all about getting predictable performance and overscanning always seemed like a bad solution to me.

I haven't played with the mount reversing, simply just making sure my build fit the needs but I do know the galvos combined with the machDSPs are small (one of the smallest) making it possible to fit in cases normally never designed for galvos with a output like this. In essence small size without compromising the performance.

Regarding thermals again: While they get hotter then a saturn (if you'd put them side by side) they most certainly stay more then cool enough when you use them extensively. I don't really see someone easily breaking a set.. especially not the saturns.. I dare to bet they last longer then trusted Cambridge galvos people used and still swear by.

Included I have an old and picture of my back then messy place where the 506 with machDSP was projecting full angle at 30kpps. The projector was actually on the desk (juuuust out of shot) The test setup with PSU and diode driver and everything was as big as the palm of your hand! Things to pay attention to is the sheer size of the projection and the fact that the corners are still nice and joining together.. but in particular the center that the dot still joins with the crossing lines.. Try this with a lot of galvos and you will notice they will not be able to match the dot with the crossing section at large/full angles.

The pincushion distortion you are seeing here gives away that I'm projection at a large angle at a close distance. The line not closing the shape was more a matter of a bad driver board (not the hardware pangolin provided)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170916_181032.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	54315
    Last edited by masterpj; 07-12-2018 at 04:28.

Yeah, PJ, I agree with your observations on the 506s. I'm getting a great 30K pattern running my 506's at 37Kpps at a whopping 30 degrees optical. With the magic driver, the 506s can get to 40Kpps by reducing the deflection angle a bit, but as Bill has pointed out, these are meant to be 30K galvos. If you want higher speeds, there are certainly other galvos that can deliver this including the amazing Saturns. This said, I wish I had the Mach DSP powering all of my galvos, regardless of what they were. That amp is just . . fun!

Although they aren't readily available, the Compact 506s with a a Mach DSP amp is a great combo to use if you need really wide scanning at ~30K that'll run cool and fit in a compact build. I will have a projector at SELEM that does just this and has the added bonus of doing Glow in the Dark as well as RGB.

Speaking of which, I hope to see you at SELEM this year. The last time you attended was before I started going.

-David

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Tuning to a higher scanrate and then running at a lower scanrate for beam is just bad practice.. you should really run at scanrates the set is tuned for.. tuning after all is all about getting predictable performance and overscanning always seemed like a bad solution to me.
    I get that for graphics, but there are reasons for tuning high and running lower depending on the content and if the projector does double-duty (e.g. beams and graphics). LSX, for example, requires a minimum number of points per frame as a safety precaution associated with DACs introducing resonance. If you don't have that minimum number of points (e.g. for simple beam work), the program adds in blank points, making your simple beam frames dim and flickery. That minimum number of points increases with scan rate, so the problem is alleviated somewhat by scanning at a lower scan rate.

As a matter of practice, I run beams and Glow in the Dark at 18-20Kpps and graphics at 30Kpps+. Alternatively, I could make frames with more points (e.g. duplicating or interpolating the pattern) . . but that's a pain. As long as the pattern looks good, bright, non-flickery, and is consistent (e.g. for bounce mirrors), I would argue that it doesn't matter so much if you are tuned higher than all of your content runs. For graphics however, I do optimize my frames/patters to the tuned speed of the projector making sure there are adequate minimum number of points and such.

Just my 2 cents!

-David

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Although they aren't readily available
    Aren't readily available? Heck, even you've got at least one of these configurations, right?

If you mean that people can't just place an order and receive them the next day, then you're right. Our lead times are long now due to high demand from industrial, automotive and medical clients, but they're certainly "available" if someone is willing to wait a while ;-)

Bill

Worth the wait in my opinion! Bill had hinted that patience and a kind message to their HQ goes a far way quite a long time ago too!

Hi Bill! Yes, I have a set and they are lovely - with the bonus of your custom tuning, no less. I am certainly familiar with the lead times, but your products are always worth the wait.

I did not know these were available to anyone who placed an order though as I understood the amps were prioritized for use in Saturns. Maybe Justin was just trying to make me feel special. 😄 Either way, I’m tickled to have a set and look forward to chatting at SELEM next month about them!

Warmest Regards,

-David