Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Super-continuum fiber laser

p.s.

One interesting thing to note in the diagram is the faraday isolator... That's the rolls royce of making beams go one way! With two units, you can even send unpolarized light go one way (using two PBS cubes and 2 faraday isolators)... The way those work is so neat, it's almost a violation of the laws of physics! Luckily for the well heeled, it's not.

Chad wrote:
    "I was talking about actually depositing the reflecting surface on the fiber ends itself. I was also thinking about the fiber from SUMITA OPTICAL GLASS. With that ii think you just need some cw 440 as the pump."

Chad,
    I don't have the know-how or the facilities to do this kind of process. Also, I believe that you need precision cavity resonator mirrors if I'm not mistaken.
    Steve

I emailed Dr. Rüdiger Paschotta (laser Guru) at RP Photonics, GmbH
    not expecting to get a reply, but to my surprise, he wrote me back.
    I wrote:

Dear Dr. Paschotta,

I am only a laser hobbyist, and I only have one question. I realize that your time is valuable, and if you don't have time to respond, I understand.
    I would like to build a fiber laser using inexpensive components:
    1. Praseodymium doped fluoride fiber (sample from Sumita Optics)
    2. CW diode pump source
    3. OC and HR mirrors

He wrote:

These fluoride fibers are normally rather expensive, but if you have one, the rest can be done.

As I recall, you need dual-wavelength pumping for purely praseodymium-doped fibers. With some ytterbium codoping, you can do it with one wavelength.

The rest is not that difficult: if you butt the mirrors to the carefully cleaved fiber ends and launch a sufficiently high pump power (probably a few hundred milliwatts, or possibly just tens of milliwatts), the thing should lase.

With best regards
    Rüdiger

--
    RP Photonics Consulting GmbHPhone: +41 44 201 02 60Dr. Rüdiger PaschottaFax: +41 44 201 02 59Kurfirstenstr. 63Skype name: RPaschotta8002 ZürichE-mail: info@rp-photonics.comSwitzerlandInternet: www.rp-photonics.com

Input, anyone?

Steve

Oh-Thanks Yadda--the email notification didn't notify me of your new posts. We've been having problems with our email servers or something..
    Thanks for the response, you sound very knowlegable in these areas. Are you an optical engineer?
    So you can pulse an IR laser diode in the fs region? I'll try to find a 798nm LD. Uops--I just looked at what 50 fs is; thats 200,000 GHz. (I think I got that right) Welp, I don't think I'll be building one of those oscillators any time soon. And, the Faraday thing probably costs as much as a Rolls Royce, right?
    What about this thingamabob? I wonder if it'd be easier to build one of these?Thulium-doped upconversion fiber laser

Pump wavelength: 1120 nm; Laser wavelength: 482 nm; Output power: up to 400 mW
    Attached Thumbnails

Probably again, fs pumped IR right?
    Do you know if they make any cw pumped fiber lasers?
    Thanks
    Steve

I still don't think 6 watts of white light spread accross the whole spectrum of visible and also a bit of invisible light is going to mean a you have much power at any one wavelength (or up to 15nm for the AO version of hte laser)....

Prismatic colour selection ? Yuck. a laser from 2006, colour modulation from the eighties...
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Well I dont know, Aijii,
    (If that kid keeps smokin' like that he's gonna catch somethin bad)
    Interesting point. I'm not an expert...
    I think it sure looks cool tho
    I wasn't really thinking of passing it thru pcaom though. But I digress..I'm gettin' in over my head now.. well it's
    Quittin Time!
    Goin' to the house
    Have a Good one
    Steve

Well I'm back
    Mornin' ugh
    --I mean Good Morning!
    So you would prefer 3 colors to every color in the rainbow. I dunno . it seems to me that it would be more flexible to have more colors. Ok outdated prism. Someone would have to get creative with newer technology. I'm partial to beamshows rather than graphics, maybe thats why I like this. Precision blanking and color selection not that important.
    Just give me a nice tunnel, liquid sky effect and a modulated sheet of light and I'm happy
    (blasphemy, right?)

..talking to Sam, he wrote:

"But it is a fiber laser, NO
    fiber laser can be built easily unless it's already been mostly done for
    you. In other words, unless you have access to fiber splicing facilities
    and high power laser diodes of the correct wavelength, just buying a length
    of doped fiber is wasting your money.
    --- sam"

Oh well..
    <sigh>
    It was a "pipe" dream after all
    Last edited by steve-o; 03-09-2007 at 04:36. Reason: misspelled word. --D'oh!

" Prismatic colour selection ? Yuck. a laser from 2006, colour modulation from the eighties..."

How about a AOTF (Acousto optic tunable filter)

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.