View Poll Results: For NWLEM III, what date or time of year works best for you?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • May 8th, 9th, and 10th

1 14.29%
  • May 15th, 16th, and 17th

1 14.29%
  • Sometime in Fall 2015

5 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NWLEM II - January 31st - February 2nd, 2014

Laser Warning NWLEM II - January 31st - February 2nd, 2014

Hey everyone,

Everything's set for NWLEM II! A contract has been signed with the venue manager and a deposit has been put down to secure the space.

6423 SE Foster Rd, Portland, OR 97206

Date:
    January 31st at 10:00 AM
    until
    February 2nd at 6:00 PM
    (We'll probably disperse around midnight or so Friday and Saturday nights.)

Cost:
    $65 for PL members and guests of members. There are limited guest slots, due to a capacity limit of 49 people total.

Nearby amenities:
    - Great food carts a few blocks west at Foster and 52nd
    - Three bars within two blocks; one next door called "Bar Carlo"
    - Downtown Portland is just a few miles away
    - Plaid Pantry is right across the street
    - There are a number of hotels and motels nearby. Nicer hotels like the Jupiter, Courtyard, or Doubletree, etc. will be closer to downtown or the Convention Center. For those interested in a B&B option, the Bluebird Guesthouse might be a good fit for you, although I'm not sure of their availability.

Items of interest:
    - Scanner-tuning tutorial by buffo
    - LSX demo/Q&A and LaserCam demo by drlava
    - Buy/Sell/Trade area
    - Ion laser work space (pending location of generator)

Here are some photos of the venue:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 04, 1 15 44 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	41676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 04, 1 41 34 PM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	41672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 04, 1 41 47 PM.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	41674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 04, 1 45 11 PM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	41675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Jan 04, 1 52 38 PM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	41673

If you'd like to go, post here or PM me for payment information.

Current list of attendees (last updated 1/28):
    buffo - paid
    blowfly - paid
    Boom - paid
    CDHDC - paid
    daguin - paid
    drlava - paid
    discothefunkyhippo - paid
    Infinity6 - paid
    laserlackey - paid
    Laserman532 - paid
    Picasso +1 - paid
    robin - paid
    slicklasers
    sugeek - paid
    Vidal Wolf - paid

*Leftover proceeds will be donated to Photonlexicon*
    Last edited by platinum; 01-31-2014 at 11:25.

Thank you for getting this all arranged!

I went up to check the venue out with Platinum and Rob (now that he introduced himself below) today it will be a fun LEM. There are convenience stores, bars, restaurants, a park and food trucks a hop, skip and a jump away. I really liked the second room lots of places for lasers as well as additional bathrooms (If we choose to rent this room too).

Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 01-05-2014 at 13:16.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Name:	jd.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	41680

Peace,
    dave

I suppose now is as good a time as any to introduce myself to the board:

Hi, I'm Rob! I joined the forum Nov '13, but this is my first post. Mainly been reading and learning, and searching on questions I have before just asking (I'm a good noob).

I've known Platinum and Slick for almost 7 years, and jamesx1234 for 5+. I own a lighting design business which will be 7 years old on Feb 14, 2014. I've worked alongside the 3 above mentioned at numerous events over the years. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering specializing in Digital Hardware from University of Washington, and I just bought all of James' lasers: a Mobolazer ML-10, a 2W full color, and 2 11W green-blue lasers.

I'm also Platinum's liaison to this venue. I've done several EDM events here, known the manager for a few years, and put Platinum in touch with him. That's my truss on the stage in the above pictures, from the NYE event I just did there. I need to remove it before their upcoming event next weekend, so it won't be there in that configuration for NWLEM II. I will, however, build something different for NWLEM II, which should accommodate anybody who wishes to mount their toys on it. I'll probably rig up a few lights too, because I'm currently more addicted to lights than lasers. I'm guessing that will change.

I went to a PACOLEM years ago, so I may have met a few of you before. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and can't wait to climb further up that learning curve.

Here's some pics from NYE. I love this building!

Name:	1551575_694807100554003_1583789278_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	41700 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1553395_10152105138769455_621416296_o.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	41698 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1528737_694808320553881_1773977078_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	41699

Count me in

Hi Rob!

Welcome to PL! Great set-up photos

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity6 View Post
    I suppose now is as good a time as any to introduce myself to the board
    Very interesting icon/avatar thinger you have.. Looks like a stylised rendering of Concorde in it, or more likely a Shuttle. What's the story behind that? It looks like it was very efficiently done. Most interesting to me are those gradients and filled regions. If that's all laser, then you know stuff many people will want to know.

Thanks to both of you. Actually, there's no laser at all in my avatar. Upper left is a Chauvet Swarm, all LED. The plane is 4 pieces of stretch fabric and 3 Chauvet ColorTube EQ2.0 LED fixtures to look like it's contrail, all attached to a steel loop about 10' in diameter and hung at an angle. This was an event 5 years ago called "Mile High Club" so I made a plane

Not trying to mislead anyone by this - once I get my scanning lasers whipped into shape, I'll make a better avatar. Might there be a scanner adjusting/tuning workshop at this event? I've followed buffo's guide on my full color, but it's not yet optimal. And I haven't even tried on my blue-green units yet. One has really bad X overshoot, but they both need tuning.

When I had avatars here, neither were very lasery.. Even the one that was, wasn't. It was more a bastardisation of Munch that involved a melon that looked like it was screaming as a result of radiation poisoning. Which I tell you because it would be unfair otherwise, given that I caned it off a few weeks ago so it's invisible now. Anyway, very effective plane, nice simple invention. Bristol, being a port city, gets a lot of architectural stuff a bit like that, based on the notion of sails. I like it because it does a lot with less materials than almost any other design. The look reminded of it, but I didn't realise the methods were similar too.

I'm in! I'll be there
    __________CDHDC__________