Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thread Moderation

That would make it possible to stop people from writing the truth about certain companies.

I just started to wonder if that was an intention here, to allow some parties to add spam like threads to PL while preventing anyone adding what might be relevant comments to it.

Example Brian here starts a thread about his new product. Now lets say Brian copied that idea from somebody called Dave

Dave gets pissed and posts that Brian Copied his idea.

Brian can delete Dave's posts and take the credit for copying somebody else idea.

Posting on PL is good for google, and Brian gets a lot of views about the product he copied.

These are kind of communist/dictator methods.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Hey Robert,

Would it be possible to allow the originator of a thread to moderate it? I mean - for example - in the case of the "Scannermax 506s" thread - mixedgas could trash all the off topic crap and have a great thread (potentially award winning - I'm guessing) with about 6 posts that contain something worth reading...

Just a thought, Brian

Actually we're lucky we have Spec. THis way the record will remain intact, and all the huffing and puffing will eventually change to interest in whatever interests us most and life goes on. Best outcome, AND the course of least effort and least resistance. So we might as well get used to it because most of the time, I suspect that is how we like it.

I just love it

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Actually we're lucky we have Spec. THis way the record will remain intact, and all the huffing and puffing will eventually change to interest in whatever interests us most and life goes on. Best outcome, AND the course of least effort and least resistance. So we might as well get used to it because most of the time, I suspect that is how we like it.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    That would make it possible to stop people from writing the truth about certain companies.

I just started to wonder if that was an intention here, to allow some parties to add spam like threads to PL while preventing anyone adding what might be relevant comments to it.

Example Brian here starts a thread about his new product. Now lets say Brian copied that idea from somebody called Dave

Brian can delete Dave's posts and take the credit for copying somebody else idea.

Posting on PL is good for google, and Brian gets a lot of views about the product he copied.

Thanks, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to stride completely over the line - congrats...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I am pretty sure it was Dave's idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post

This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Everyone agrees that a "rep" system is fundamentally flawed.

Adam
    Amen to that. My high rep came from character, personality, not from furthering the hobby. But at least I did regularly contribute to the forum. The clowns on there just rep each other back and forth and dont contribute a thing. Rick Trent is has been furthering the hobby for years now, yet his rep is 1% of the clowns who rep each other on the "Win" and "Fail" threads. The only good thing about rep is buying, and selling. Chances are you can trust a person with high rep. But even then we had some long term, high rep members go south, so in reality its really useless. I've said this since day one on LPF. I used to tell people if they gave me a neg rep I'd give them a positive. I even asked the Admin to wipe my rep because so many people where complaining about how high it was. At one point you could even buy rep by making a donation. Thankful that didnt last.

I never thought rep count, or post count meant anything. They are internet points for crying out loud. Why people get so rapped up with them is beyond me, but I guess some people need them to feel special in their otherwise non-special lives.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    ...for example - in the case of the "Scannermax 506s" thread...
    ..Like the idea - empowering the 'Op' to do his / her own 'housecleaning' - but Spec is known for taking a super-left view of 'freedom of speech' (..unless it starts to get 'real-life threatening' / really, really-nasty, then, he himself will jump in and just drop a

..on everybody's arse, but... short of that, I doubt he will ever go for such 'controls'.. His view leans more toward that 'eventually, everything finds ground', and gets resolved...

ie: ..perhaps, for 'unrepentant trolls', an Op / others could simply ask them to leave / mop up their own sick in the thread, and if they are unwilling, threaten them with a 'bit of the ol' ascii-violence' ie: Like some Loco I know, did recently..

2 pence..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

There really is no good solution for this problem.

An idea I've been playing with is the ability to promote threads to give them a resource tag or something that would cause them to stand out or *become* curated after a certain yet undefinable point. Kinda like locked wiki pages... but not.

Initially the wiki was going to serve the purpose of collecting all "good" data for future reference after a thread has hashed out the minutia then let the thread act as a communal conversation about it but that kinda didn't happen.

Technically: I am very limited with what I can do to make threads user moderated. The control system is not that granular unless I setup new usergroup permissions per thread that needs it and then move said thread into a new subforum where the usergroup "owns" it. That's really messy and a whole lot of bullshit for no purpose other than confusing people with nested redirects.

Vbulletin is not tEh smart.

Sorry for the delay. Life has been busy.

Sometimes valuable off topic information is added to threads. The value of it may not be obvious to the original poster or even to a moderator, but some 3rd party who isn't even actively participating might think it is. To have it deleted just because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the thread would be a shame. You might argue that only uninformative posts could be moderated/censored... but who decides what that is and how do you prevent abusing that? Leave things the way they are. It's been fine like it is for years.