Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thread Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... such 'thread-cleaning' is best done by mods (or admins) not direct involved in the thread ... the OP or 'involved' users with such powers tends to kill discussions, even if they are not heated or totally OT ...

Viktor
    Really? References?
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I get your point Laserist, you want purity. But thats not going to happen on an open forum. This is not Wiki, its a bunch of everyday people from different cultures around the world discussing topics we all relate to. Banter is part of the human condition. When you make a thread it is not your thread, its the forums property, and is allowed to be viewed and commented on by all who have interest. Thats how public forums work. If you want a closed discussion then you have to create that through email, PM, ect, and invite only the people you want to comment. Even then nobody wants to talk straight shop, and banter will still arise.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

This also has the possibility of creating exclusivity of which users can and cannot post, even if on topic. If the OP so wishes, they could lock their thread to only those who they feel worthy of posting. It would most likely not happen but it could. In an open forum, I think the idea is a little ill-conceived even though I agree with what you're saying, Brian.

Besides, if things get too out of hand, the PL janitor will step in. This has happened before. Look up ILDA format 3.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I hate when threads go OT.

I have a question, what is the easiest way to identify the orientation of a PBS cube?
    This space for rent.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post

I have a question, what is the easiest way to identify the orientation of a PBS cube?
    Sledgehammer?

Well, as I need to add more characters, why the character limit?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    why the character limit?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post

Ask it: gay, straight, bisexual, or none of the above.
    Edit:
    And when it has answered 'none of the above', try to annoy it further by asking it if it goes both ways.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 01-09-2014 at 18:20.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

hahaha....

typically pbs cubes have a little dot in one corner to show the orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Ask it: gay, straight, bisexual, or none of the above.
    Edit:
    And when it has answered 'none of the above', try to annoy it further by asking it if it goes both ways.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

No way! typically the grounded sides with the diagonals are top and bottom.

In the end, PL is more about people then it is about lasers.

The rep system mentioned above is a terrible idea, for reasons I've already explained (the explaining of which is probably partly the motivation for this topic). Anyway, despite wishing I had editing power in a few of my own threads here, I'd vote against it. It might just fan the flames (so to speak), and increase animosity.