Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thread Moderation

Default Thread Moderation

Hey Robert,

Would it be possible to allow the originator of a thread to moderate it? I mean - for example - in the case of the "Scannermax 506s" thread - mixedgas could trash all the off topic crap and have a great thread (potentially award winning - I'm guessing) with about 6 posts that contain something worth reading...

Just a thought, Brian
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I think forums need to represent a true account of what happened.
    Giving the thread starter powers like that could lead to some dodgy scenarios if they don't like a response for some reason.
    I think that threads going OT can be a good thing, and is reflective of how conversations can drift around.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Presenting information in an ordered way ánd discussing them freely and openly are mutually incompatible.

If you want to sacrifice some of your spare time, you're free to distill the information into a Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think forums need to represent a true account of what happened.
    Giving the thread starter powers like that could lead to some dodgy scenarios if they don't like a response for some reason.
    I think that threads going OT can be a good thing, and is reflective of how conversations can drift around.
    If a virtual post never gets listed on the thread - it never happened. The thread owner shouldn't have the ability to edit after the fact - just to say yes/no about accepting the post on his thread - It forces someone who wants to go off topic (as determined by the thread owner) to start his own thread. You could even flag your thread as non-moderated from the beginning and have it show up in red (or something) to attract the tangentially obsessed...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

While I understand your point and how "off putting" it can be when a thread sometimes goes off course, particularly in a negative way; for ME personally, I'd hate to see it end up being easily editable. Sometimes arguments and off topic tangents lead to good things, other times they don't. But to me, that's what makes this place so special and "real". Sometimes (as an example), Wayne tossing in a humerous comment or one of Andy's well timed "piss my shit's", is the laugh that may very well get me through a few minute "PL escape" from an otherwise bad day at work. Sometimes, in the end, an argument ends with the realization that it's ok to agree to disagree and everyone moves on. The power is still there for the admin to remove the really bad or offensive things should it ever escalate that far.

I like the idea of a respository (wiki) of good information though, and it would be cool if there was a managable way to move the highly educational parts of a discourse away from the chaff. I just don't know how that would best be accomplished.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

That would mean threads can't go off topic.

In case you don't remember them, here are the rules. Which is more of a code. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Code-of-Ethics
    In the words of Jack Sparrow... Keep to the code.

This is a Forum, which is a Latin word for "marketplace" or "central meeting place". People talk to each other in conversations. This is not equal to information being presented with a minimal noise level.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    That would mean threads can't go off topic.

In case you don't remember them, here are the rules. Which is more of a code. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Code-of-Ethics
    In the words of Jack Sparrow... Keep to the code.

This is a Forum, which is a Latin word for "marketplace" or "central meeting place". People talk to each other in conversations. This is not equal to information being presented with a minimal noise level.
    Ah... but does it really require a maximal noise level? Having the OP approve posts doesn't mean the thread can't go off topic - it just means the OP can force the virtual post to become a new thread (resting on it's own merits) when he feels his thread is being hijacked.

i'd suggest not directly delete such responses but just mark them as "irrelevant" or something
    then you'd see "This post has been hidden as it's off-topic. To see it anyway click HERE" and that would reveal the post
    you could set autohiding of off-topic posts in your profile

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Why not implement a reputation system where people who get flagged off topic a lot loose reputation while people who provide good posts receive reputation?

lol that could be misused easily, why do you think facebook only has "Like" button?