Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6x 445nm-diode head

Pretty slick Victor!

Try writing you name on a grain of rice. I did this one with my 1W 445nm.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails riceme_1.jpg  

riceme.jpg  

Extensively Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925, Mini Diode Laser Engraver and now a Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver.

https://www.picengrave.com

... I'm targeting more 'practical' aims ;-) -- attached are some parts I've made years ago with comercial lasers.

The train set was made with 0.1mm thick stainless steel and an NdYAG-laser, the nailhead-modules and the 'stair-testing' in the polymer with an excimer-laser ...

Viktor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nanowire-REM-Detail1.jpg  

Nanowire-Tests-optisch.jpg  

Mini-Eisenbahn.jpg  

The practicality of it is to see how small you can focus the beam. :-) I have no interest in Commercial lasers. I prefer to build my own. I built a dual 445nm head that I engrave photos with on different kinds of materials. I get better quality images with it then a Commercial CO2 laser can because I'm not pulsing it. I'm using analog modulation instead. No dots.

Can't wait until you demonstrate your 6X head.

Jeff
    Last edited by JJWMACHINECO; 02-22-2014 at 16:13.
    Extensively Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925, Mini Diode Laser Engraver and now a Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver.

... with the single diodes the best spot size is around 40 microns ... could be 30 when reduced the focal distance below 20mm.

With the 6x head the best distance is around 50mm, so awaiting more 100 microns best spot diameter ...

Viktor

I'm getting a 80 micron spot size (burn line) with the dual and really don't need it any smaller. It's a balance of getting good quality/detail and reasonable setup/engraving time. The smaller burn line I get, the larger the Gcode files I need to generate. I ran a gcode the other day that was over 7 million gcode lines long using a .003" (80 microns) stepover. The detail was very good, but the generating the gcode, loading it into Mach3 and engraving time was way too much. I found that I need to stay around .004'-.005" (100-125 microns) stepover where there is non burnt lines in-between the burn lines, to get good detail and reasonable setup/engraving time.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

what's your engraving speeds?

With my old CNC-mill and a 'halfstepping' driver I could engrave only with max. 10mm/s to avoid resonancy 'waves' at the beginning of lines.

With the servo-CNC-mill I'm actually engraving with 50mm/s without problems and with better adjusting the pulsing times for the max. speed this should be possible with 150mm/s too (actually max. moving speed).

The programmer of the firmware is trying to double the max. clocking frequencies, so I hope to get max speeds of 300mm/s ... the motors+drivers with the 5mm-spindles could do with up to 750mm/s!

But for even higher speeds I'm actually building/programming a machine with XY-galvo-scanners. Here the 'speeds' can go as fast as some ten m/s ... trying/developing with a 445nm-diode, but the final machine should be armed with a fiber-laser ...

Viktor

Hi Viktor,

On something easy to burn like Baltic Birch, I can laser engrave at a Blended feedrate of 230IPM (97mm/s). I had the same issue with weight and resonance when reversing directions doing raster engravings, but John Champlain (author of Picengrave Pro 4 + laser) rewrote his program to resolve this for me. He has a option for a settable extended edge to run past the image end before it reverses. I'm also beta testing a new version that allows you to set the feedrate there so it slows down before reversing to save on bearings, screws, belts ect. Running at full 97mm/s and then instantly reversing is quite a jolt and John has resolved this in his Image to Gcode program.

http://www.picengrave.com/

I'm using a PCI Lava dual parallel port card in an older Dell Dimension 3000 PC with XP Pro and the last Mach3 ver. .066. I found out that the trick to be able to run/engrave fast is I had to change my ratios to get the steps per. down in Motor tuning and that allowed me to set the Accelerations up to 125 on all 4 axises. After changing this, I tried a UC100 USb adapter and the fastest blended feedrate I could get out of it was 125IPM (53mm/s) With the PP, I now can even probe/digitize with my servo machine @ 100IPM (42mm/s) and probably even faster. I only have the Kernel Speed set at 35Khz in Mach3.

Jeff
    Last edited by JJWMACHINECO; 02-23-2014 at 14:09.

Hi Jeff,

my 'refurbished' servo-driven CNC-mill is driven by a comercial controller, that is originally programmed to run with stepper-drivers ... indeed my servo-drivers 'emulates' stepper-behaviour but are closed-loop systems with 500line-encoders, so 'emulate' steppers with 2000 steps per rev ;-)

With the standard accelerating values and slightly adjusting the 'jerk' specs I've managed to drive the axes with 150mm/s max. (what's dynamic enough to shake/tilt the table) -- but mostly caused by the 'limitation' of max. 100kHz clocking speed of the controller, not for mass or driver-limits.

Now I'm thinking to reduce the encoder-accuracy to 1000 clicks, so with softer acceleration it should reach double speed ... or wait, if the programmer get's the clocking speed to 200kHz ...

Viktor

... for making some more LD-drivers I've used this time one of the 445nm-diodes:

https://vimeo.com/100716811

Here the result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445nm-Gelasert.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	43907

... and after etching ... paint removed on the left side:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445nm-Geaetzt.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	350.0 KB