Thread: First go on Beyond

Default First go on Beyond

I had my first play with Beyond at the DutchLEM this weekend (Thanks Dimitri).

The setup was HobbyBob's - 3 lasers including the appropriately named pink 'gayzer' (can't remember specs) Beyond and an APC40.

Using Beyond is extremely simple and when an APC40 is used it's even simpler! I was able to sync to the music very easily and only used a few sliders to begin with - I imagine it would take a month or so to get used to what does what and be able to go that function without thinking.

One of the things that had previously put me off Beyond was a perceived lack of creativity. Most people do use canned cues and more often than not, I can tell when a show is made using a Pangolin product because I recognise the cues. VJErnst played a lot of non-standard content over the weekend - Bart creates a lot for Ernst and is a 'Beyond cue magician' - he has created some really clever beam effects which take Pangolin out of the realm of clip art type shows to something more creative - I only watched a little cue creation and it looked quite flexible - but not as flexible as LSX seems to be.

I would like to see some more creativity on the abstract side of things - otherwise beyond gets a big plus in my mind for beam shows, simplicity of use and effective and intelligent control of beams and chases.

Hopefully I'll get another chance to have a play at the UKLEM in April.

Keith

LivePro's where it's at The content that Mark produces is astonishing
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite - Paul Dirac

Yes, I hear good things about livepro. Doesn't it have the ability to export too? I Like the idea of export as it adds magnitudes of flexibilty and additional fail-safes when it comes to software and hardware failures.

Keith

Doesn't it have the ability to export too?
    Yes, in LDS format. Still no ILD if thats what you were hoping for.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Yes, in LDS format. Still no ILD if thats what you were hoping for.
    Cheers Norty. Yes, indeed I was.

How do you export to LDS from Livepro ? I can't seem to figure it out, only abstracts. I've been wanting to move over some old cues to Beyond.

It's been a while since I've fired it up but I think you either right click the cue and choose an option there, or select the cue and use an option on the file menu. I think you might be able to do it from the frame editor too...
    Frikkin Lasers

Hmm, I still can't find it. Are you sure it's possible to export ? I have a bunch of nice cues I'd love to transfer over to beyond but pretty much gave up.

The only things I seem to be able to export are effects, key effects, colour cycles, text, abstractions. The images themselves the only option I see is image properties. But I can't even find a frame editor, from what I can remember it was part of the lastudio package, draw3d. And those utilities from what I can remember couldn't pull anything from the workspace. However my draw3d won't start after the last firmware update and don't see it available to download anymore, so I can't verify that.

How to people make frames nowadays for the fb3 version of livepro ?

How to people make frames nowadays for the fb3 version of livepro ?
    The frame editor

(the winky smiley is relevant here...)

You can make content for LP in QS afaik
    Frikkin Lasers

Hey guys,

You can export from LivePro cues to LDS files if you have a QM2000. I'm pretty sure this doesn't work with the FB3...

Anyhow, here's what you have to do:

Play a cue with your chosen effects and record that cue with the LivePro recorder. Find an empty slot in the cue grid and paste it in there. Now right click the recording and choose 'Export', you can export as a file or straight into the QM2000 memory for further editing in LD2000...

Full instructions in my training, follow the link in my sig to download

Cheers
    Mark