Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cooling tests

I just ordered some of these from BangGood. At 60 watts, they should be more than adequate to cool my P73's. (Crosses fingers)

I'll post some pics when I get it all put together.

Adam

I love BangGood's installation instructions on those ..

a grim absorption following a fever

Yeah, one of the downsides of ordering from them is that most of the manuals are in Chingrish. However, you can't beat the prices.

I actually started ordering RC helicopter stuff from them, and never bothered to look at anything else until just recently. But once I saw all the other stuff they had, I stocked up! Got a large order headed my way, so I'm eager to check out some of the new toys. (Especially those $15 PID temperature controllers I mentioned in another thread!)

Adam

$15 PID controller?? Sounds great .. gotta check that out. Thanks for posting that Adam!

Yeah, here's the link: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Du...0-p-40429.html

They actually have a kit that includes the temp sensor and a solid-state relay to switch the load, but they're out of stock right now.

This is the one that CDBeam has been using: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=106 The one from China appears to be very similar, but it's less than 1/3 the price! Once I receive it and get it hooked up I'll let you know how it works.

Adam

Cool !

_________

I am using a very similar relay type controller for holding the pump diode temps on a large DPSS laser and they work very well. The relay is either on or off and lacks any ramp, but the stability is at least as good as 0.1 degree C irrespective of the diode driver current.

I'm not going to go into as much detail as the Doctor. I've done this enough times to have passed through the details you mention and some others as well. There is absolutely no substitute for experimentation and so I think you might want to set up a couple of tests that allow you to vary the current to the module and the load (diode as well as various ambient loads depending on the quality of the insulation). Measure the temperature of the base plate AND the diode mount simultaneously. If you do this before you are committed to a design or invest in hardware this may save you time and money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    The relay is either on or off and lacks any ramp, but the stability is at least as good as 0.1 degree C irrespective of the diode driver current.
    Yeah- bang-bang steering, as it were. But even Bob mentioned that he had really good results with that Auberins controller, and he was cooling to a much lower temperature than I'm shooting for. (I don't plan to go much below 20 degrees C.) All I really need is + or - 2 degrees to be happy, so this controller is probably overkill, but at 15 bucks I couldn't say no.

Adam

I have been playing around with a Chinese TEC-12706 40x40mm standard ones,
    Dont have a thermometer but im guessing below 0*C directly connected to 12v atx pc psu

looks pretty cold

still need to make a sealed enclosure with silica gel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1476577_10152067726162165_180081205_n.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	42065

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3636.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	42066
    Philipp Wetter

You don't need silica gel. If you seal the enclosure any residual moisture will deposit on the colder top of the TEC and the diode mount will remain dry. If you fail to seal the enclosure then the silica gel will fill with atmospheric moisture, become ineffective and then the moisture will continue to build within the enclosure.