Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: New red laser diode from Oclaro

So, what you think about this diode?, price is adquate to mitsu 500mW?. I need each mW of red in my RGB here I can get not 2 but close to 3W...

1x8W RGB 2x3W G
    3x12W RGB (in progres)
    M2.0 M3.0

I have done a little more testing and comparing with a 73.

It looks at though the oclaro has a slightly (15% or so) smaller emitting area. However, the slow axis divergence is much greater. Therefore, to achieve the same divergence the oclaro must have a larger aperture size. See pic below. 73 on left and oclaro on right driven at 1amp in series. The width of the raw beam is clearly wider on the oclaro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73vsoclaro.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	43106

In my initial test I was able to get a much cleaner spot with the oclaro.

Power test with daves 2mm and cylinder pair are..... 800mW @1.1 amp oclaro and 910mW @1.1 amp 73. Note the datasheet max for the oclaro is 1.1 amp and only 800mA for the 73.

hmm it looks like area can be covered at diode housing? (my think). Interest what spot you get after Dave pair, but definitely + for power and operate current even spot will be similar.

1x8W RGB 2x3W G
    3x12W RGB (in progres)
    M2.0 M3.0

wont be buying anymore, they are pants looks like i will do a single mode build after all
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    Cool , one ordered for testing
    Look forward to seeing what it can do
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

I link to a new video about improving red laser beams and cover the performance of the Oclaro diode as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_POfjxeAEvU

Logsquared,

It looks like the output of the Oclaro is truncated in the vertical. You see the arc shaped and abrupt cut off of output on the top and bottom? Do you think this is possible?

Mmmmm...Thanx Eic/Woody for the early adaptor " Look-See " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like less " Junk in da Trunk in the vertical orientation " for the Oclaro....but...overall....more divergence/Less beam density !!! Too Bad !!!
    ...AND...looks like more conversion efficiency for the P73 to boot !!! WTF...NO PROGRESS HERE !! Move along !!!

I am going to try to change the orientation of my one cylinderical...I have always thought that better results were achieved with the first lens, the Plano Concave flat surface facing the LD output....but I have NEVER tried the to place the CURVED surface of the Plano Convex TOWARD the LD output.

I have ALWAYS had the curved surface of the Plano Convex facing outward...away from the LD output....we shall see ???? Isn't this fun !!

I wonder when we are going to get a real Quantum Leap in Red LD technology !!!! ???? You KNOW they gotta be working on it !!!! I bet the end game on Projector Technology is 12,000 ~ 15,000 Lumens....in a Pico package !!!! Yikes, That's my guess....Later...

CDBEAM=======>
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 05-06-2014 at 16:33.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Logsquared,

It looks like the output of the Oclaro is truncated in the vertical. You see the arc shaped and abrupt cut off of output on the top and bottom? Do you think this is possible?
    The two diodes are in different mounts. The oclaro is being truncated in the fast axis by the mount its in. I just want to show how much wider the slow axis is.

UPDATE=====> Tried the Plano Concave ...reversed....flat side facing AWAY from the LD ....Worse on my set up....Standard Cylindericals....6X...SOoooo...Dunno...For me...Plano Concave==> Flat side towards the LD and Plano Convex==> Flat side towards the LD.

CDBEAM=======>
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 05-06-2014 at 16:35. Reason: Clairification
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !