Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: LOBO gun, has Brad ordered one :)

This thread has certainly become more interesting, but I do hope no one was hurt during the accidental crowd scanning (The first thing I pictured was a crowd of people being slowly cut in half). Like Planters said, it's going to be hard to expect people not to crowd scan with a 3 watt projector when a major show company is doing it with 100 watts, accident or not. How embarrassing!

"Crossing distances of up to 60 km suddenly become reality."

So who could spot a plain 60Km away? (and then multiply that by the number of units)

I just can't see the point to this thing, very limited market and it will only work in environments with high atmospheric pollution
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

I think the original point to this thing is the same as the Aston Martin Veyron. It's a super car to draw attention to the company. And that it did!

But I still think the bigger story is the ILDA. It's a tragedy when a driver runs through a red light and kills someone, but it's a disaster when the cops ignore the crime because the driver is a celebrity. I hope that my read of this is situation is wrong.
    -

I still don't feel good about this device at all, but this is a cool feature:

excerpt from: http://www.lobo.de/index.php?id=8&L=...&subcat_uid=84

" LOBO provides an automated aispace surveillance option with position detection by GPS and an ADS-B-based air traffic surveillance system, leading to a fade-out when aircrafts enter the saftey zone. "

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    James Bond might or might not approve of this thing
    Well, I was looking for references like that, and I'm not so sure he'd approve. See, Goldfinger might have liked it. Look at the pictures, Gold finger for Goldfinger, just right to give him that special Midas touch. But could Bond have stood for that? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    So who could spot a plain 60Km away?
    Chuck Yaeger, but I take your point. He's not around to do it now, either.

I believe it's a Bugatti Veyron Planters, unless there's some parent company nonsense I'm not aware of.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I believe it's a Bugatti Veyron Planters, unless there's some parent company nonsense I'm not aware of.

But he's got a point.

Perhaps if I repackage my laserscope into something that looks like this, then no one will complain ... lol hahaha
    Official "vag burner and big ass ION laser" fan club member

For the doubters about the validity of this incident, regrettably it is true that it did take place.

Fortunately, as far as I am aware, there were no reported injuries. Although I’ve been told that some people have had eye tests following the ILDA conference.

As has been mentioned by some, it was good fortune that the people standing on the balcony were lightshow people and aware that ~100W laser beams need to be avoided, so the majority were able to take cover behind the balcony wall and each other. The video footage shows that after making the initial sweep through where the people are standing, the guests can be heard to be shouting ‘stop, stop…’, as the machine returns the beam back over their heads.

In mitigation, the beam was only outputting red at the time it sweeps into the audience, so it is unlikely to be outputting the full 100W of light. But nevertheless, several 10s of watts is still not good.

I was watching from the car park level, and when the beam was travelling up into the sky it did look impressive, and quite different to see varying colours going up into the night sky. There was quite a breeze that night, and it had been raining earlier, but still the beam was able to remain quite visible. There was a busy road about 20m from where the device was positioned. – so things could have been worse.

One of the guests at the ILDA Conference from the UK was a representative from Public Health England, an agency that advises the UK government and regulators about laser safety, (among other things). It was very unfortunate to see this all play out in front of this representative, for this, along with a couple of other bad incidents at the Conference, (not LOBO’s fault this time), on the following evenings has portrayed a very unprofessional image of what is supposed to be the best the industry can offer; this happening just weeks after our friends at the MOBO Awards forgot how to use an e-stop too.

After all these incidents we could have done without the Class 4 laser pointer being played with in the hotel bar.

I am truly disappointed that these things have happened, as I would love to see the lightshow sector flourish and not attract further restrictions from regulators. The timing of these incidents is not good, as we are in the process of reviewing UK laser show safety guidance.

James
    Last edited by JStewart; 01-31-2014 at 15:40.
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator