Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Opnext HL6545MG Diodes

£16.74 per diode?

ill take one for now
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Cool

I would be interested in two of these shipped to the states. I can escrow through Buffalo or any of the trusted members who are also ordering diodes, since I just "officially" joined. Or I can paypal directly.

Default two

i will take two

I am sorry - but I cannot order any at this time....perhaps the next go-round I can jump in. Sorry about that. If my order for two is needed in order to complete the order, then I will still do it - but I am too tied up with other items at present to do this GB, sorry.
    Last edited by SenKat; 03-15-2007 at 18:10. Reason: Bad information....

What kind of optics would be involved to collimate these into usable beams? Any pre-assembled optics? (no ebay please )

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    What kind of optics would be involved to collimate these into usable beams? Any pre-assembled optics? (no ebay please )
    You could tear apart a 10mW red AixiZ module, they work pretty well. dr_lava was able to get about 100 (maybe more) of the AixiZ modules without diodes for $2 a piece when he did the CPF group buy.

Or you can go to Merideth Instruments for a case with glass optics, but if I remember correctly they cost about $25 each.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    I'm guessing they will be good for around 230mW raw output @ 660nm but as I said, more testing req.
    The spec sheet said 120mw continuous, (more when pulsed.)

From what I know, the continuous wave power is usually lower because it produces more heat. The diodes are rated by what temperature they can withstand with standard cooling. Using a TEC or better than average cooling would allow you to raise the continuous wave power without harming the diode. There is of course a limit to what cooling can achieve but I believe heat is what causes the difference in rated power. High power diodes are usually spec'd below what they are capable of handling to achieve the longest life. They are quite capable of burning brighter (and hotter) at the expense of a shorter lifetime.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I'm still learning.
    Last edited by jdwannam; 03-13-2007 at 06:54.

Thumbs up

I think The Doctor has one running continuously - doing a stress test as it were - at around 230 mw. I think his plan was to run it at that power level for 5 days continuously and see if the current/power ratio stays the same. Not sure what he's got set up for cooling, but I don't think he's using a TEC - just a large heat sink maybe.?. (See this thread for details.)

Sounds pretty cool, assuming that you can get a decent beam out of it. I'm hoping that the Doctor will post pictures when he's finished with the test.

Adam

As one of the diodes took 600mA for 15 seconds without going bang, I decided to push 2 of them to 320mA & they have been running all day without any changes in output or characteristics so far.

It looks more like 635nm light in the picture, but thats just the camera, it also looks like the PBS is absorbing a lot of light, but again it's just the camera.

The peltier was removed in the top pic as the PSU was getting hot trying to keep the diodes cool, so went passive for a while. I have sorted out a better PSU and the peltier is back in since these pictures were taken this morning.

Ah... and the small PBS is not melting it just has a large chip out of it on the top edge, but it works ok.

Time will tell if these are capable diodes, but the output (of the combined beam) from this module is >500mW after all the optics with the LC at 660nm. Reading now just as I post this, the output is 516mW.

Let's see how they cope with a few days of this continuous torture hopefully quite well...

Pit.
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh