Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser beam makes sound...

Default Laser beam makes sound...

Here's one for all you scientists/professors out there.

I came across a strange phenomenon completely by accident the other day, so I captured it as best I can with my iPhone...

I was working on one of my RGB's and when I stood in the projected beam I heard a buzzing sound which appeared to be coming from the light. I thought I was imagining things, but I could replicate it very easily. I have no idea how or why this happens, so hopefully one of you PL geniuses can explain this for me...

I don't know what material the jumper is made of, I ripped out the label some time ago as it was uncomfortable... But nonetheless here is a video of what is happening, you'll probably need the sound quite high as the iPhone isn't the best of devices to record this on...

Would love to know what causes this...

Cheers
    Mark

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

most likely localized and abrupt thermal expansion of the material.

i've noticed the same phenomenon:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...604#post249604

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Here's one for all you scientists/professors out there.

I came across a strange phenomenon completely by accident the other day, so I captured it as best I can with my iPhone...

I was working on one of my RGB's and when I stood in the projected beam I heard a buzzing sound which appeared to be coming from the light. I thought I was imagining things, but I could replicate it very easily. I have no idea how or why this happens, so hopefully one of you PL geniuses can explain this for me...

I don't know what material the jumper is made of, I ripped out the label some time ago as it was uncomfortable... But nonetheless here is a video of what is happening, you'll probably need the sound quite high as the iPhone isn't the best of devices to record this on...

Would love to know what causes this...

Cheers
    Mark
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Sounds like static to me. Could the modulation of the lasers vibrate the material fibres enough to generate a static charge?

Keith

Just when you thought you saw...er...heard everything...
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:30.

I used to be able to play God Save The Queen on a CNC milling machine with an air driven table, but you have just taken the biscuit there... Impressed....

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    I actually made a cut program on a multi- kW CO2 CNC machine once specifically to play around with the different pulse frequencies as musical notes. I got the idea because when we would pierce 1/2" steel plate it would use a combination of I think around 250 and 500 hz, and then for cutting it would jump up into the kilohertz range.

My boss at that shop and I were both musicians and he helped me set up a bunch of different cutting subprograms and together we came up with about 4 octaves worth of musical notes which we were wanting to then sequence into an actual musical number, but we only got a few bars into "Ode to Joy" before the novelty wore off and we had real cutting to do.

I need to spend more time reading this forum

Thought I was cracking up, only ever heard light make noise in movies... Glad I'm not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    most likely localized and abrupt thermal expansion of the material.

i've noticed the same phenomenon:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...604#post249604

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    I used to be able to play God Save The Queen on a CNC milling machine with an air driven table, but you have just taken the biscuit there... Impressed....
    Wouldn't the harmonics of the overdriven guitars be a challenge? Or did the sound help that at all?

I don't think Doug D (as in Dulmage) from alt.lasers is here so far as I know, but he had a good story about lasers, sounds, and drinking straws. I'll hold off on telling what I remember of the story in case he shows up and wants to tell it.

I love when people create art from mundane sources.

Here is one of my favs.. May get a little loud in spots.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK