Thread: Seeking Single Color Starter Laser Recommendation

Default Seeking Single Color Starter Laser Recommendation

I would like to start experimenting with controlling an ILDA-connected laser with the EtherDream DAC. Eventually, I'll be using something like a 1000mW RGB unit (mostly for white light), but want to get started on programming the EtherDream. So while I'm learning enough to purchase the final laser for the project, I'm looking for a single-color unit for prototyping.

Can you recommend a couple awesomely-priced single color (maybe green?) laser/controller units? Anywhere from 50mW to 200mW

I hope ultimately to work with a DT30 or DT40. Do you think it is important with this prototype unit to have a comparable scan rate to the final unit for this project? For instance, many of the lower-end green golderstarlaser units have 20k scan rates. Thoughts?

Basically, I'd love it if someone said "Yeah! This green XXmW green laser is only 200 bucks, showed up a week after I ordered it, and totally rocks. I can recommend it." Anything come to mind?

As always, thanks.

Wes

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf...nm-laser-diode

520nm Osram PL520 Diode In Copper Module W/Leads & G-2 Lens
    $115

and then use this driver:

https://illuminationsupply.com/laser...l#.UurUM2SYK9o

i will always suggest making the prototype as similar in features as you can to the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by wmodes View Post
    I would like to start experimenting with controlling an ILDA-connected laser with the EtherDream DAC. Eventually, I'll be using something like a 1000mW RGB unit (mostly for white light), but want to get started on programming the EtherDream. So while I'm learning enough to purchase the final laser for the project, I'm looking for a single-color unit for prototyping.

Can you recommend a couple awesomely-priced single color (maybe green?) laser/controller units? Anywhere from 50mW to 200mW

I hope ultimately to work with a DT30 or DT40. Do you think it is important with this prototype unit to have a comparable scan rate to the final unit for this project? For instance, many of the lower-end green golderstarlaser units have 20k scan rates. Thoughts?

Basically, I'd love it if someone said "Yeah! This green XXmW green laser is only 200 bucks, showed up a week after I ordered it, and totally rocks. I can recommend it." Anything come to mind?

As always, thanks.

Wes
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

With the diode, lens, driver, and at some point controller, I'm afraid I'd run into some problem over my head and I'd have a drawer full of $200 full of Almost Laser.

I think given my level of laser knowledge that I am slowly accumulating, I should probably start with an assembled unit. Any suggestions along those lines?

Wes

How about a full unit? I saw green animation lasers from goldenstarlasers for $250 in the 200mW range.

where are you at? Maybe we can pair you up with a mentor to help get you going and teach the basics and safety. No better way to do it then go under the wing of a pro. I know you are looking for green but you can a red diode for $20.00 and it will be safer for you until you get familiar with working with lasers.

Let me help you a little here.

It might serve you best to buy a package already set to go. Goldenstar has plenty of introductory units that will take an ilda signal. Next get a package like Pangolins FB3. It will have tons of premade stuff for you to play with. You should be able to all this for 1k-1.5k. I am staying away from suggesting other systems because you expressed that for the moment you are not that technically versed. Well that's just fine. You'll learn over time but this approach puts you with equipment that many people can help you with and that has a giant support base.

Don't pick anything with ttl modulation. You want and need analog modulation. Try to afford at least 30kps scanners in the unit you buy.

A second approach and maybe a more cost effective on is to contact bridge on here from laserwave. They sell an all in one rgb single mode module that has all the drivers read for you to go with drivers. Pair that with a set of scanners and your done with the scanner. I still suggest the FB3 hardware for the dac as easiest to learn. The power is also lower so the unit is safer in the beginning while you learn and it keeps you away from having to align the beam which is when you might get zapped.

One other thing that might trip you up is setting up the bipolar power supply for the scanners. Look for a thread on it. It was covered real well.

I checked with golden star and the G200 has analog laser modulation, ILDA/DMX interface, and a 20K scanner. Not DT though.

I'm in California. It would be great to have someone to work with and bounce ideas off of.

You are right, a single unit will serve me well for now, until I get to a place like many on this forum where I'm swapping out laser modules and scanners on a daily basis.

I'll look at bipolar power supply issues.

Wes

I haven't gotten good responses from eightonlight, actually, I haven't heard anything from my two inquiries of them. Does anyone have a good email to reach eightonlight? I wanted to get the price on the Serpens Green200.

Winni from Goldenstar (also on this forums) replied within the hour. I have no idea what time it is in China, or whether Winni is an individual or represents a persona of their sales staff, but they have been amazingly responsive.

Who makes the PT scanners?

Wes

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i think it's chinese new year. might be a week or two before you hear from them.

Quote Originally Posted by wmodes View Post
    I haven't gotten good responses from eightonlight, actually, I haven't heard anything from my two inquiries of them. Does anyone have a good email to reach eightonlight? I wanted to get the price on the Serpens Green200.

Winni from Goldenstar (also on this forums) replied within the hour. I have no idea what time it is in China, or whether Winni is an individual or represents a persona of their sales staff, but they have been amazingly responsive.

Who makes the PT scanners?

Wes
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

link to picture
    Discothefunkyhippo had a nice rgb single mode laser from laserwave at NWLEM II it worked well after figuring out the modulation enable switches... I think for a few hundred mw projector it is a nice place to start... Just add galvos...
    Last edited by sugeek; 02-02-2014 at 20:03.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Discothefunkyhippo had a nice rgb single mode laser from laserwave at NWLEM II it worked well after figuring out the modulation enable switches... I think for a few hundred mw projector it is a nice place to start... Just add galvos...
    Yeah and if you live in the north of California you can come over and check it out.