Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: co2 tube problems

I believe the four screws do adjust the front mirror alignment. I have not done this personally. Theoretically, you would need to simultaneously back off one and tighten the other that is 180 degrees from the one you loosened. Perhaps someone with actual experience can provide advice.

Here is a video that explains how optics on a laser are normally aligned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yLS4K8nM4

The issue for this situation is you are not able to remove the front mirror to set up the alignment laser through the center axis of the bore.

If you attempt to adjust the front mirror, use two insulated hex keys. You would have to align by trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by peterklos View Post
    H
    I have a water flow meter connected and the flow is 7 to 10 L per hour

Any suggestions.
    Regards peter

Way too low of flow for that tube. It will overheat and kill the power.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Better picture then first post still done on old XP machine

Clamp the tube at the indicated point. Then remember to support the tube in the normal way. see the picture. But first try more cooling. You only need a tiny amount of force. Use a insulated allen. The adjustments may or may not be at high voltage depending on how the PSU is built, but assume they are hot.

Be careful.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CO2ADJUST.bmp  

Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi steve
    thanks for taking the time to submit the drawing . I will increase the water flow , i have an inline flow meter so can measure the rate , I will make a couple of Al brackets to mount back of the front mirror and tweak the allen screws and note the turns / direction for reference
    regards peter

Quote Originally Posted by turbohead View Post
    Here is a video that explains how optics on a laser are normally aligned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yLS4K8nM4
    That is a good video. Added it to my favorites

Hi Steve
    I have come to the conclusion that the tube is unstable , I have increased the water flow , the temp stable from the chiller , finely tweaked the front mirrors and power increased with good results , however , after 20 mins of 50% power the power drops off no other parameters have changed ,so my only thought is that due to poor construction the rear mirror is misaligned.
    Might load up the BB gun !!!!!
    reagrds peter

Can you mechanically restrain the rear mirror by epoxying it to an aluminum bracket and then mount the tube and bracket to an aluminum base plate?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser Mount.png  

Great Suggestion , I guess I cant loose by modifying , might even glue an Al heat sink to the rear , I will machine an Al bracket on the CNC to go around the tube and epoxy the whole struture
    regards Peter
    PS just lost laser power in my 100 watt yag today so not a good day !!!!
    regards Peter

Actually, the brackets that fixtures the tube (there should be two) should be made of Delrin (plastic). Or, you can make it oversize with aluminum but line the inside of the bracket with a flexible strip of thin plastic. Otherwise, any stress between the aluminum bracket and tube will cause the tube to crack.

So what is going on with the YAG? Power supply issues?

Hi in reference to the rear mirror , if you look at the Anode picture the mirror is glued in with a silastic rubber type compound and this is the problem with the mirror moving
    My YAg is a Rofin 100 watt lamp unit , I moved the head yesterday to another bench and when I fired her up almost no watts , I have replaced the lamps as they were old , can get watts out the front mirror but fails after the colimator and 45 deg mirrors in the head !!! so may be missalignments
    regards Peter